Religion - Page 5
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Religion

Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    A good Marine has faith in our Lord above.
    Amen to that. God can give you the title and take it away in a Blink of an eye.

Quote Originally Posted by FattyTheFerret View Post
    You have nothing to worry about. They're not allowed to push religion on you so you cannot be punished for being atheist/agnostic. Stay in the squad bay; most drill instructors will stay in the duty hut during that time (usually catching up on sleep) while you can reorganize your footlocker or catch up on letters or whatever else you need to do.

You could always volunteer to help out your scribe, chances are he's overworked and isn't getting half the square-away time the rest of you are.

If you really want to get out check out the buddhist service or islam service. There's a wiccan service too but I never attended that one. But if you have an academic interest in other religions it couldn't hurt to check it out.
    It depends on how the SDI is, my SDI made sure everyone went to church when he was on duty.

Quote Originally Posted by Drill for life View Post
    Amen to that. God can give you the title and take it away in a Blink of an eye.
    You got that right son.

First, we all have religious beliefs- even if our belief is that we don't believe in anything. It takes a certain amount of faith to come to any conclusion about God.

As some here know, I'm a Christian and am serious enough about my religion to admit I've considered seminary and becoming a chaplain. That said, I don't care what belief you have as a Marine. As a human, there are things I wish every person would believe in, but that isn't the job of a Marine. If you do your job, have honor and integrity, you will be fine. As Accord said, some people have some pretty backwards beliefs. Chances are you'll run into some people that have a real problem with what you believe in. Deal with it.

As far as boot camp is concerned, I would highly recommend that everyone attend some service on Sunday. Whether you believe what you hear or not isn't the issue. You want a break from the DIs and squad bay, and the DI wants a break from you. Just go, sing some songs, and deal with it. Nobody is going to force you to convert to anything. I often went to the Mormon service simply because it was done by people from San Diego and not military chaplains. It was nice to be someplace with no DIs or other active duty military people. Recruits and civilians, and nothing else. I didn't believe a word of what was said, but it was a nice break.

In the end, just try not to follow the example some have set here by insulting those of any faith. Believe what you believe and go on with your life.

SGT7477, I know I can not comment on what makes a good Marine as I am not one currently. However I have to ask, why do you feel a good Marine must believe in the Judeo-Christian God? I've never read a requirement that one must believe in God to be a good person or Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMShaw View Post
    SGT7477, I know I can not comment on what makes a good Marine as I am not one currently. However I have to ask, why do you feel a good Marine must believe in the Judeo-Christian God? I've never read a requirement that one must believe in God to be a good person or Marine.
    Read the post of what the CPL said, you have alot to learn.

Which Cpl, Echo_Four_Bravo? If you meant him then I do not see how that answers my question.

It shouldn't matter what your beliefs are, only that you try to lead a good life and keep your moral compass pointing north

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdoc View Post
    All MSR are BS, if you want the real deal follow the Church of the Spaghetti Monster, its the sheet. I am a devot Patafarian.

The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, while having existed in secrecy for hundreds of years, only recently came into the mainstream when this letter was published in May 2005.
    With millions, if not thousands, of devout worshippers, the Church of the FSM is widely considered a legitimate religion, even by its opponents - mostly fundamentalist Christians, who have accepted that our God has larger balls than theirs.

http://www.venganza.org/
    You have got to be kidding me. Anyway, I have always heard that Marines guard the gates of Heaven.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    believe in whatever you want, if your want to pray to a rock then go for it

A good Marine makes sure that his fellow Marines come back alive. Nothing more.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    To me, (yes, I'm Christian), it shouldn't matter what faith you are... but uh... I've heard that it helps to at least belive in something, be it the FSM, the IPU (Invisible Pink Unicorm), Allah, God, Jesus, Shiva (and his friends), or whatever. That's just me... but I think if I go to boot, I'd rather stay in the squad bay and get things squared away... *shrugs*.

Maybe going to service gives you more time to think...

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    and going to those services makes you think about dumb sh!t like home and your old girlfriend, you don't need to be thinking about that sh!t, keep your mind on the task at hand, and thats to excel in boot camp not just get by

How many cultures have been wiped off he face of the earth in the name of jesus? They send out those mercenaries, err, missionaries, and "converting" of the "heathens" they went.

Which Cpl, Echo_Four_Bravo? If you meant him then I do not see how that answers my question.
    You got it, who better to answer your question would be your SDI, I don't need to get into a ****ing match with you and yourself getting all wet, man up and ask your SDI and see what happens to yourself.

Thread Information