Religion
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion

Religion

In boot camp, I know that on sundays the recruits go to church. But what would people like me, with no religion, do? Do they just stay in the barracks, or do they just say their Catholic or Protestant so they don't get singled out?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Trust me.................you'll pick one after the first Sunday you spend with your Drill Instructors.

Another question I've had on this topic is I'm Catholic, but I've always had my wonders about other churches.. I'm not a big church goer, so I was thinking that during boot to make things more interesting for me I would like to attend a Jewish church (i'm assuming they have them as an option).. I like learning about other cultures and think it would be rather enjoyable.. would I be allowed to do this?

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but since it was on the same topic somewhat it seemed better than making another thread.

I stayed in the squad bay. Early on I did my scribe stuff. Later on I read magazine that had been sent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyray View Post
    Sorry to hi-jack your thread, but since it was on the same topic somewhat it seemed better than making another thread.
    Hey no problem man, it's not just my thread, it's for everyone it concerns.

On sundays its basically "Square away time" for like 5 hours in the morning. Basically until all the church services finish. If you don't go to church or religious services you stay in the squadbay, square your gear away, re-mark your gear, get things ready for whatever is coming up, write letters, bs with the other guys, etc. I never really had many problems with drill instructors on sundays. More guys actually stayed in the squadbay then went to church in my PLT.

The way it worked for us was Sat night, the scribe would make a list of who is going to what service on Sunday and give that to the Drill Instructor that night. In the morning you head out to service with the others going at the time you are supposed to go. So whatever you sign up for, you went to.

First phase you are taken there by a Drill Instructor if you want to go. 2nd and 3rd phase you take yourself.

I didn't ever go to church at boot, i squared myself away for the upcoming week and maybe caught a little bit of sleep if I could.

Great to hear that for those of us without a religion, we are able to have extra time to get squared away.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I only went the first time because my senior made everyone after i polished my boots, i always had the sweetest spit shine.

Go to Catholic Mass. Afternoon chow is right after service

Last edited by hempstead56; 12-14-08 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Mistake

Credits
    Savings
    No religion?

What do you believe in?

Have you ever said, 'Oh My God!', or, 'Jesus, that hurts!'?

When the bullets begin to fly, will you say, 'Holy Sheeit'?.

This brings to mind, the ****ing draft-dodgers, etc., 'Do they have reunions?'.

Just wondering.

Credits
    Savings
    No, you won't get singled out if you don't go to service; in fact I got harassed decently for going to Mass. As for tagging along with other religions for fun, sure-I guess you can. Kind of weird, but whatever. I remember seeing kids running around with little red books because they discovered Buddha at bootcamp (wtf ever) Beware church hopping-if someone notices, they are bound to decide you are not serious about worship. Not going to preach to you, I'm just saying if you make to an ugly place down the road, you will be looking for your Creator. Better to make sure you know him before you need him....

On a side note, had a buddy who joined the Army a few years ago and he swears they have to humor the Druids by letting them commune with nature, making it the biggest scam for little doggies who want to escape. I figure he was pulling my leg, but I don't know...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner614 View Post
    In boot camp, I know that on sundays the recruits go to church. But what would people like me, with no religion, do? Do they just stay in the barracks, or do they just say their Catholic or Protestant so they don't get singled out?
    Your DI could make you a Catholic or a Protestant for that day or maybe have you bend and thrust in the squadbay until he gets tired.

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165 View Post
    No religion?

What do you believe in?

Have you ever said, 'Oh My God!', or, 'Jesus, that hurts!'?

When the bullets begin to fly, will you say, 'Holy Sheeit'?.

This brings to mind, the ****ing draft-dodgers, etc., 'Do they have reunions?'.

Just wondering.
    I was wondering the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMShaw View Post
    Great to hear that for those of us without a religion, we are able to have extra time to get squared away.
    Maybe it's time to get a religion.

Thread Information