Admin Marines
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Admin Marines

Credits
    Savings

Question Admin Marines

Hello, I am a poolee scheduled to leave for boot camp summer of next year. My MOS is administration. Just wanted to know if there are any Admin Marines out there that can fill me in or give me a general idea of what this MOS is like, especially those in the legal side. Basically, what do you like or not like about it? Thank you.

You're going to sit behind a desk and push a lot of pencils.

You don't leave until this summer? Plenty of time to switch to a real MOS!

Quote Originally Posted by Accord View Post

Ha ha very funny. You do a deployment in Afghanistan and suddenly you're a "real Marine" and everyone else isn't. Like admin types never deploy...

Every single Marine, regardless of MOS, that I ever met who had something to say about admin eventually found their asses in my office or another admin shop asking for help for this or that. You won't be any different, trust me.

roxieb I sent you a PM, hopefully I can give you some insight.

Any Marines reading this, Accord and I talked it out like big boys and everything is cool now. We now return to our regularly scheduled forum...

Credits
    Savings

lol. Well, I don't mind pushing pencils; I'm pretty good at it. What I really want to do is get into Legal Admin. I hope to eventually go to law school and move on to the JAG program, so it's good prep.

What accord doesn't apparently understand is that these "admin" types can totally ruin his day i.e. no-pay-dues, remove awards etc. and make his life a living hell for a while until it's corrected.

I was never an administrator by trade, but I kinda had to learn a lot quickly as a Career Planner to survive when I came on the force in 2000. I was one of the VERY few Sgt Career Planners, and one of the only ones on Cherry Point...all the rest were SSgt, GySgt, and MSgt in the SQUADRON'S.

All Marine's have their jobs to do, whether you're on the front lines doing your thing, or behind the lines ensuring that you receive your combat pay etc. It's all important.

The more I read accord's posts the more I'm beginning to dislike him...you're a whining, disrespectful b!tch...grow the hell up, grab your nutsack, and act like a Marine for once and stop blaming everybody else for your situation.

It depends on the situation at hand. I'm a 0151 Administrative clerk. Came in with an open contract, praying NOT to get the MOS, i got it, hated the sh** ever since. As to what to expect, depends on the unit, your shop and many other factors. You will do many things that they wont teach in MOS school at Camp Johnson, NC. It's one of those jobs like an offensive line in football; you're not missed until u dont show up. Sometimes its thankless and it will get stressful, it did for me anyways. I had to dual-hat as an Adjutant (admin officer)/Admin chief/admin-whatever-else for 4 months as a newly promoted Corporal a while back when i was 20 so responsibility can come up anytime like that in the Corps. Also deployed on a Marine Security Element (MSE) so its not all paper staplin' and penpushin, loved it until I had to go back to the office. I could go on about the good and bad of admin but Im sure everything will work out for u. Good luck, need more info, just ask.

Can we just have the thread closed/moved? I can tell it is going to become something that doesn't need to be seen in the Poolee Hall.

-Gardner

Yeah, burying your head and ignoring posts is always the way to go...

We're Marine's...we're loud, crass, oppinionated, and generally can be a pain in the ass at times, but that's what makes us "us"...

The poolee asked a simple, honest question....IMO deserving of a honest answer as to what to expect, what they do etc. Not be berated or belittled by somebody who is rapidly showing their immaturity on a daily basis here.

Marine Friend Free Member NicholasITALY's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

I'm sure this was ironic.

How about a couple rounds

Cheers

Basically the legal admin option ends up being broken into three areas..maybe four is the postal guys get taken out of that group.

You have the 0121, 0151, and 4421. If you want legal, you want to get 4421. The 4421 is the most rare to get, and probably the most wanted. Since you'll have absolutely zero choice its not a big thing to worry about.

0151's will do their fair share of legal work depending on where you are at. The 0121's are the only ones that wont see really any legal stuff.

If you want to go be a lawyer, you need to get a J.D., and I don't know of any enlisted to officer programs that will let you do that, so if your ultimate goal is to be a JAG, you need to talk to an OSO (officer recruiter) and see what they tell you.

Like any job there is positives and negatives involved. You will deploy, you will work crazy hours, and if you have a positive attitude and look beyond some of the random crap you'll have to put up with you'll have a good time.

MMmm oh man...camp johnson...admin school...all those GIRLS! I love admin!

Everyone rags on admin, because they are one of the most "pog" MOSs. Well, all I know for sure is that admin is extremely important, as they handle the money and all the legal affairs. Theoretically admin should really be everyone's best friend. **** off an admin Marine, and your life will be hell.

Also, on a side note, some of the admin guys I know have the best physical fitness. I think on my base their chain of command wants to take away from the admin stereotypes, so they PT the hell out of them.

Admin doesn't handle your money, disbursing does.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    Admin doesn't handle your money, disbursing does.
    Who do you think it is that do the Unit Diary entries allowing Marine's to be paid...yup...Admin...MCTFS is the source document(s) that tells Disbo what to do. Do you honestly think that Marine's receive BAH, BAS, Imminent Danger pay with no source documentation??

Who do you think runs reenlistments etc. on UD and annotating what (if any) bonus the Marine's rate...Disbo can't pay a Marine his/her bonus until it posts in MCTFS (yup, administrators do that too)

The Marine Corps would be in a world of **** if it wasn't for admin Marine's doing their thankless jobs every day.

Thread Information