Learning General Orders - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by benw2200 View Post
    I think of stupid little things in my head that connects the number with the order. It probably makes no sense to anyone else but it helps me out
    That technique makes perfect sense. Marines also dig on acronyms to simplify and trigger memory. Also putting each order into context: what's the purpose of this order? Imagine yourself in a position where it pertains. It gives one a visual that sticks to the brain pan. The more creative the better.

I have memorized and stored away the shapes of hundreds of horses feet not simply because i trimmed and shaped shoes for each individual digit, but i have thought about why they look like they do. Contributing to a more vivid memory

--->Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    I have memorized and stored away the shapes of hundreds of horses feet not simply because i trimmed and shaped shoes for each individual digit, but i have thought about why they look like they do. Contributing to a more vivid memory

--->Dave
    That was just funny to me. I know you deal with horses but, it was just funny to me!

Write them down while saying them aloud. Will help tremendously with your memorization of them. Also try having people quizzing you on them.

You'll learn them in bootcamp, trust me.

I knew all my General Orders because I was in NJROTC, but it didnt really matter, nor did it give me any advantage.

Just concentrate your physical conditioning.

D.I. "Johnson, make a new 13th General Order!"

Me: "Aye sir!!!!."

"Sir! The new 13th General Order is!" "TO WALK MY POST FROM FLANK TO FLANK, FCUK YOU, YOUR MOM, AND YOUR GOD DAMN RANK!"

D.I.: "****, Johnson, I think we might have something here! Pull off your blouse!"

I'll never forget that!

My advice. Write them down and lay the piece of paper you write it on, on the back of your toilet. Every time you go in there to handle your business, sit there reading them over and over. Thats how I learned my General Orders and 14 Leadership Traits lol. Everyone spends a good deal of time on the toilet. Why not multi task on the bowl?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett90 View Post
    My advice. Write them down and lay the piece of paper you write it on, on the back of your toilet. Every time you go in there to handle your business, sit there reading them over and over. Thats how I learned my General Orders and 14 Leadership Traits lol. Everyone spends a good deal of time on the toilet. Why not multi task on the bowl?
    Thats a good idea haha

I remember the first 6 by going to my recruiters office and they would always quiz me on them and after every PT session we had we would also have a study session.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm just curious how some of us older types managed to learn all of this stuff without forums, Google, DEP Pool activities, etc. Oh wait, now I remember: "Bends and thrusts until you puke, maggot!"

I can clearly remember the echoing voice from the Duty Hut 37-years ago:

"School circle!" "Sir, School circle. Aye, aye, Sir!!"

"General orders!!" "Sir, General orders. Aye, aye, Sir!!" "Sir, the private's first general order is:...." ETC.

Memorization and repetition, with pain as a motivator. Works every time.

If you suck at memorizing, just take them a day at a time. Any f*cking idiot can memorize one sentence a day through repetition if nothing else.. so memorize #1 on day 1, 1-2 on day 2, etc. You should have them flawless in less than 2 weeks

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The most important General Order is, to walk my post from flank to flank and don't take sh!t from any rank.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darkgreen0311 View Post
    The most important General Order is, to walk my post from flank to flank and don't take sh!t from any rank.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

Oh Yea! Sounds hardass when you have an entire platoon sounding off to that General Order, but a GySgt SDI from our company didnt find it as amusing as our SDI. We ended up buttoning our top button and unblousing our first day of Land Nav.

Sounds rash but rumor in the "Recruit Underground" was that the prac recruit recieved an NJP for saying it. Never had a chance to ask him personally because he was sent away to PCP.

Back on topic, I was only in the DEP for about 2.5 weeks and could not recite any general order when begin quized laxly, let alone if a Drill Instructor were to "ask"

I learned them quickly in boot camp because you really do remember things better when you yell them. It will prolly also help to use the number along with the first to words of each general order.

EX: 1-To Take, 2- To Walk, etc.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If anyone cares, I am already on my fourth General Order for Sentries. That's almost half way.

Aaron, regarding your first post...the phrase "Semper Fi" (and also "oorah") is only used by Marines and some may not be comfortable with poolees using such phrases (and it's also in the rules). Just giving you a heads up in case you were ready to dish out an "Always Faithful" in another thread. God bless.

- LaGrand

Believe me, when you get there. You will repeat the rank structure, chain of command, General Orders. There are other **** too.

My D.I. taught all the black guys the proper way to roll a blunt, while he was destroying us on the 1/4 deck. Best 1/4 deck session I ever had.

I've got some F@CKIN ADVICE. Learn the ******* **** the same as you learned everything else in school.

I'd slap a ***** if they asked me a question like this. If you tell me you do not know how to learn simple phrases, I would discharge you, if it were my choice!

Thread Information