Most Marines were already US Citizens before they joined, but for those of you poolees and junior Marines that are only "permanent legal residents", take my advice and get your citizenship when you're in active duty!! Back in Oki when I worked at the S-3, my old BN SACO, GySgt Gill, used to get on me about this everyday!! He was originally from Jamaica and had gotten his citizenship early on in his career and knew the benefits of applying for US Citizenship while serving in the military...it's fast, it's easy, and it's FREE!

I was young, stupid and stubborn and would always reply with something along the lines of "Gunny, I'm a Marine. I'm as American as they come. I don't need some damn paper to tell me that." Fast forward a few years and here I am faced with the prospect of having to pay some $700 plus and waiting a good two or three years before I can get my citizenship. If I ever want to get a job as a Federal Agent, which is my long term goal, I'm gonna need my citizenship. That's just one of the many benefits of citizenship.

Long story short, if you're not a U.S. Citizen, get that squared away asap. Don't be like me and come out of four years of service still wearing the title of "resident alien". The only thing better than being able to say you are a US Marine is to be able to say you are a US Marine, and an American. And Gunny Gill, whereever you are, you were right. I'll be pushing for that later.....