Prior Service/Re-Entry (Why So Difficult)
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Prior Service/Re-Entry (Why So Difficult)

Would someone please explain to me why does it seem that Marine Corps Prior Service Recruiters (Seem To Ignore Veteran Marines trying to Re-Enter). I've been trying to get back in the Corps for the last 3 years. Attempted to deal with 5 different prior service recruitors throuout San Diego County. It' like trying to gey help fron a brick wall.
    Please help me find the door back to the Corps either Reserve Status or Reserve Status with a good chance to get back to Active Duty................

crmlthndr@cox...net

The best thing you can do is to walk right into a recruiting office with a copy of your DD214 and ask to talk to a recruiter. When you explain that you are prior service they will point you to the prio-recruiter and it should go from there. Just get an address and number and keep riding them, they will come around soon enough.

I've tried that a few times. Keep ending up being refferred to GySgt. Fox at MCRD or GySgt. Green in Miramar. Neither one seem to have any time to see me. They'll talk on the phone (If they happen to be in the office). I end up leaving messages never hearing back...

Are you trying to go Active or Reserves? Prior service Marines who are going back into the Active side go through regular recruiters. If you are trying to go into the reserves then you have to go through a Prior service recruiter

I feel ya man, I got the same issue once before which is why I went to the guard and I got issues now with HQMC. Stay on them they work for you now.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I even tried to get back in - Recruiter flat out told me that the Government would rather spend the time and money to train a new one than to let somebody back in that already knew the ropes. Besides, I was past the age (to even get a waiver for) and he told me that they were still looking for a few good men, not a few old ladies. LOL!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    I even tried to get back in - Recruiter flat out told me that the Government would rather spend the time and money to train a new one than to let somebody back in that already knew the ropes. Besides, I was past the age (to even get a waiver for) and he told me that they were still looking for a few good men, not a few old ladies. LOL!

AND YOU DIDN'T B!TCH SLAP HIM? Must have been a while back, that don't sound like the Kim we all know and love.

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was on the phone with him and he was too far away for me to drive just to b!tch slap him.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sadibenz View Post
    Would someone please explain to me why does it seem that Marine Corps Prior Service Recruiters (Seem To Ignore Veteran Marines trying to Re-Enter). I've been trying to get back in the Corps for the last 3 years. Attempted to deal with 5 different prior service recruitors throuout San Diego County. It' like trying to gey help fron a brick wall.
    Please help me find the door back to the Corps either Reserve Status or Reserve Status with a good chance to get back to Active Duty................

crmlthndr@cox...net
    If you read the local newspaper and watch the local TV, you'll see that all branches are struggling to get thier mission of recruits....except the Marine Corps! The Corps has prospects knocking down thier doors, wanting to enlist.

During the "CUT BACK" in 1971, the Corps was actually on a "0" mission for several months, only taking critical MOSs. Then there was about 20 years that the Corps was "peacetime" and skated thru keeping what was required for strength, as dictated by CMC and Congress.

During the "Desert Shield/Desert Storm Operation", the Corps increased thier strength and recruiting opened up again, then 9/11 happens and you know the rest.

My point is this, "when the Corps can be selective, they are, when they need people, they get humble"! It's kind of like "you don't miss what you've got until it's gone", type thing!

I suggest that IF you get the attention of a prior service recruiter, then stay crawled up his butt until you get an answer, one way or the other, but demand a clear answer......you deserve nothing less!

Now having said that, what is your RE CODE on your DD214? That may have a bearing on this as well!

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    I was on the phone with him and he was too far away for me to drive just to b!tch slap him.
    That's my girl!

Semper Fi Sis,

Dave

Thanks for the info... Im RE-1A. I was able to get in contact with a Ssgt.Miller out at MCAS Miramar this morning after I got home from work. Got a 0930 appt. 092308.
    Sounds like he is shooting straight from the hip and not messing around. He said it would probably take about 90 days to get into the reserves....
    We will see what happens....

Quick update,
    All I have to do now is find an active or retired Staff NCO or above who knew me. Too, write a letter stating and discribing my Vissible tattoos (both forearms) while I was on active duty....
    Any former or active duty Staff NCO's or above out here who served with me from 08/08/89 thru 12/24/89 ?

080883 thru 122489

The story i get from a 30 year Sgt Maj on this subject is that Our Marine Corps really dont want a prior service Member back unless his MOS is critical. He stated to me that Marines have a chance to talk with a Service Planner before his EAS and if the Marine refuses to extend in the service at that time then your going home. He also stated it cost alot of Money to process a Marine out of the Corps with Medical exams, disbursing and such, he stated the the Marine Corps feels in a way the Marine Snubbed them when asked to stay in by getting out and not staying in regardless. Prior Service Marines very seldom get back into the Marine Corps unless you have a Critical Mos and being a grunt is not a Critical Mos according to him. As i said this is what i was told so take it from there..

im currently in Iraq serving with the Army National Guard. And Im trying to get back into the Marine Corp as soon as i get back from country. I will finish my contract with the Guard just as soon as get back should I go to a Marine Recruiter when i go on R and R and explaine to him the situation? Who do i contact to get a straight forth answer if I can get Back in to the Corp or Not? If any one can help me out i would greatly appreciate the help or advise. Thanks and Semper Fi.

Thread Information