Iwo Jima Pictures
Create Post

Iwo Jima Pictures

My father, S/Sgt Charles Peer, passed away last year. He was in the Fifth, 3rd Engineer Batt. He left several photos of Iwo Jima & Japan. Some were given to him by J Rosenthal and others were taken by him and his fellow photographers. Some have the names of the Marines on them. These have all been donated to The National Museum of the Marine Corps. I did scan them and have them posted at this location in case you wish to find someone you may know in them. http://picasaweb.google.com/cpeerjr

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Great stuff from the Greatest Generation

Outstanding!!!

Iwo Jima Pictures

GREAT PICTURES !
    Do you know, in picture 121, which group this is...Div.? Unit?

My great uncle was killed at Iwo Jima and there is one gentleman on the photo that resembles him. Since I have only limited (3) photos with him, it is hard to know for sure if the Marine on your pictures MIGHT be him.

Tom was LtCol. of 5th Division..3/26 Marines.

My grandfather fought on Iwo for the whole duration, 5th Marines, Spearhead. If you can, read the book "The Spearhead, 5th Marine Division" it's great, but there are only a handful around. I have access to one, as it's still in my family.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I appreciate your sharing the pictures. My father who served on Iwo Jima died several years ago. He chose not to talk much about his experiences during the war and we never pressed him. After his funeral friends and acquaintances shared stories and I began to realize I had missed an opportunity. I am glad that you chose to share your pictures with the rest of us. Robi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    how neat it is to look back into history....great stuff.

Thread Information