Another new Marine !!!! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    When I was in boot camp (granted many moons ago) and my son, much more recently, they were still called recruits until family day morning. Perhaps things have changed drastically in the past 3 years on PI. I'll have to ask a DI friend of mine to straighten me out.

It doesn't matter.....he is now a MARINE !!! I brought him home yesterday. The graduation was unbeleivable. Yes, I cried like a baby both days and can tear up just writing this. By the way, I don't cry. This is my son , my best friend. I have never been so proud of him. He wanted to go to Wing House last night for Wings, so we get out of the car and he stands to the side to hold the door for me and I say, "No son. You go first" as I held the door for him. My head was held up so high and my shoulders have never been so straight as we walked in. I'll type more later and get some pic's out to. Thank you all for the kind words and for the support of this long 13 weeks. But for the record, when they came out of the Crucible, they were handed their EGA's and were told they were Marines.Thank you, Dave

Dave.. congrats and YES what you have there in your house is a US Marine!!! You did great dad.

To address my earlier post. I did email a friend who is on the island and I have copied and pasted his response;

Training week eleven is when the crucible is. Yes they are given EGA's at the end of the ceremony and but no one down here calls them Marine until they graduate. The last week on the depot they do stop the "sir" **** and start addressing us by our rank. At least in theory they do... in practice they still get beat down. Life is rolling along here though.

Congrats and Semper FI to another Marine, OOHRAH.

Quote Originally Posted by jarheadlady View Post
    To address my earlier post. I did email a friend who is on the island and I have copied and pasted his response;

Training week eleven is when the crucible is. Yes they are given EGA's at the end of the ceremony and but no one down here calls them Marine until they graduate. The last week on the depot they do stop the "sir" **** and start addressing us by our rank. At least in theory they do... in practice they still get beat down. Life is rolling along here though.
    I guess I don't work on PI and I've never been in the RTR?

That bolded line is an outright lie. I've seen Series Guns (and 1stSgts) snatch the belt off a DI who thought he would be slick at night during that last week. Which was nice.. because it saved me the trouble. The Marines earned their right to be addressed as Marine. And they damn well are called Marines their last week on the Island.

And beat down? What the hell is that?

I'll tell you what it is. It's DI bravado that won't stand 2 seconds of closer scrutiny because it's BS.

Called a Marine?---not till graduation for us---1960.

GSO.. a few things have changed since 1960

Well Lt. I will just have to agree to disagree with you Sir. I personally have never seen what you describe. But thats good to go, as you are ON the island and of course Marine DIs would never do anything without their series Lts permission. Its all SOP I assume. But I am glad that you are there and on top of the training situation and have things well under control. Semper Fi

Why yes ... Gunnery Sergeant. Marine DIs are always the pinnacle of professionalism and would never step outside of the orders governing recruit training. They always follow lawful orders and never get sat down or voided for stupidty and willfully disobeying orders. With their crisp tailored uniforms and immaculate smokies, they set the example that all Marines should strive to emulate.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's because of the wonderful SNCOs, of which many are Gunnery Sergeants, who lead the way in setting this perfect example, that our DIs continue to achieve this perfect standard. After all, our DIs ARE the best and most qualified Marines in the Marine Corps. Right...Gunnery Sergeant?

Oh, and Semper Fi.

ROFL sure thing there Lt! You are absolutely right!!!! 150%!!!! Good thing there are officers on the island to keep up with all that! I'm just too old. Senile too!!

Excellent! Glad we see things peachy keen. But you know you're free to come down any time you want and check things out firsthand. We do have plenty of seniors groups come through. I could even put you in touch with the visits lady...? Maybe set something up?

Just let me know Gunnery Sergeant Toodles!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei View Post
    Excellent! Glad we see things peachy keen. But you know you're free to come down any time you want and check things out firsthand. We do have plenty of seniors groups come through. I could even put you in touch with the visits lady...? Maybe set something up?

Just let me know Gunnery Sergeant Toodles!

I'm making the popcorn now.

LT, the Gunny is, and has proven to be a fine Marine.
    Gunny, dittos about the LT.

Now, LT, you are out of the office. Is the Bride about ready to domino?

No thanks on the offer. Did my 20. Do I get to count the 18 as a Marine daughter? Or the past 3 as a Marines mom? Well, I've done my time. Been to PI enough. Enjoy your time on the island though... seems like you are!

Thanks for that reminder Al

Hmm, would you count time for anyone else being the daughter of a Marine? And I seem to recall what you had to say about another Marine Mother when you came back to this site not so long ago. I think you've set the standard by which you should judge. I'll leave it there.

Al, the wife is fine. Had some movie time tonight and about to turn in. Gotta pack for my trip tomorrow

Thread Information