Vietnam - Can't Win Strategy
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thumbs up Vietnam - Can't Win Strategy

GENTLEMEN:

I'm here to propose that we fight the war again, the Marine way.
    Through a discussion or roundtable of thoughts and concepts.
    This is open to ALL MARINES, not just Vietnam Combat Vets !

HOW WOULD YOU FIGHT THE WAR IN VIETNAM WITH THESE
    CONSIDERATIONS IN MIND:

1. CHINA / RUSSIA WITH NUCLEAR capabilities and nearby
    2. The threat of Berlin or Europe opening up a second front
    that the US would have to deal with.
    3. The logistics of fighting 12,000 miles frm home
    4. The understanding that Americans don't like extended
    wars. They desire quick decisive actions and trending
    indicates Korea was the begining of a new trend.

Your thoughts and knowledge will be appreciated while the display
    of respect for other opinions will be requested.

SEMPER FI...........>CHUCK

Credits
    Savings

The Chairman, of the Joints Chief of Staff, to appoint the CMC to head up a group of senior officers and enlisted fighting men (and women). No more than 2 dozen total with a month to form a plan.

The plan to be implemented, one week after the 30 day meeting.

The plan to NOT coincide with the start of the rainy season.

No embedded nothing - no reporters.

One 4-5 Star to command, obviously answering to the CIC, but in an advisor role only.

No FVCKING politicians, unless they are in uniform and on the frontline.

... anyone else?

Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165 View Post

The Chairman, of the Joints Chief of Staff, to appoint the CMC to head up a group of senior officers and enlisted fighting men (and women). No more than 2 dozen total with a month to form a plan.

One 4-5 Star to command, obviously answering to the CIC, but in an advisor role only.

... anyone else?

OOHRAH and Semper Fi Mac i am with you

You got that one right on the head.

Strategic bombing targets to be decided on by Commanders on scene. If a Russian or Chinese Advisor happens to be at that target site--oh well TS, they know the risks.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    TACTICAL NUCLEAR STRIKE ON HAI PHONG HARBOR

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165 View Post

... anyone else?
    Yes. . . . No media, No prisoners, send democratic congress (to include Chuck Hagel) for an extended vacation to the sunny beaches of Bikini Atoll.

I guess you did say no reporters. Sorry

Lightbulb The Two Only Impossibilities to Keep from Winning in Viet Nam.

I was not there even one day Marines, but I wasn't born yesterday. The sole cause of all the misery that was Viet Nam was as a result of the TWO CIVILIAN ****BIRDS that were running it, LBJ & Robert McNamara, 2 dueces, and a pair of dueces is essentially worthless in anybody's game.
    Everything I'm fixing to say is fully documented numerous times.
    1.) LBJ spent his entire lifetime lying, stealing & cheating. The most recent documentation of this is a C-SPAN interview of some author (I've forgotten) about his LBJ book. Brian Lamb (C-SPAN CEO) at the end of the segment asked: "How much did he (LBJ) get away with?", and the author replied: " ... near as we can tell about $20 million..".
    2.) LBJ loved to scratch his nuts and talk loud to any audience, one of his stock favorities, talking about how he treated the Generals (Admirals) in Viet Nam: "... why Hell them SOB's (the Brass) can't take a **** without calling me!!!".
    3.) If anything, Robert McNamara was worse than LBJ, Robert McNamara had zero personality, yet everybody allowed as how he was so SMART, as if that was worth anything, except in lying, stealing & cheating. LBJ did provide an occasional laugh, but never McNamara. He was more full of himself than was LBJ. I remember during a Congressional Hearing, in response to a question, he said: "... Yes Sir, I'm going to tell you everything it's going to take to win that war ..." McNamara was so busy shacking up with Tom Braden's wife he couldn't concentrate on anything else. He never had a job he was any good at; he was president of Ford one year and he came up with the Edsel. Lee Iacocca produced the Mustang at Ford, then went to Chrysler and actually saved their ass, through heroic and intelligent determination and perseverance. (He paid back the loan, THE OLD FASHIONED WAY!!!!!!!). And Chrysler is still in the middle of the road. After leaving SECDEF, crying & pouting, he went to World Bank, as President. Enough said.
    Marines, we've got 2 dissimilar candidates running for POTUS, one of 'em is young & pretty & smart and is a total empty suit (in my view) and is another Robert McNamara and I wouldn't vote for him for Dog Catcher, I think too much of dogs. The other is not young and not pretty and he openly says he was at the bottom of his Naval Academy Class. But he was there and was a brave SOB when it counted. I know what he will do when the going gets rough and that's good enough for me. Go John McCain and Cindy. Best wishes, Sir & Ma'm. Gung Ho, Gary Hall.

No Dang DMZ that can not be crossed

How about one General ( 4 star ) in charge in the field. He's got Colonels to run the day to day ops and report in depth to him. Then we take the Commines by surprise by hitting N. Vietnam at different times and places while bombing the HC Trail hourly with 52s. Meantime the diplomatic crew is talking with China and Russia and basically reading them their rights...and consequences of involvement in this war. While the Commies are running home to protect their families, the ARVN secure the areas and they're backed up by the US Army, Navy and Coast Guard. WE, the Marines, take it to them daily invading, destroying targets and killing any NVA in the area. We'd use AIR cover to take out bigger forces and we'd roam their countryside....D & D would prevail and 'table talks' would comeence within a month of Marine offensive action. YOUR THOUGHTS ?

SF.....>Chuck

Re fight the fight

Fighting the war over is very simple , in my mind.

When one goes to war, the object is to WIN, that to me , is the Marine way. I could care less who or what is in charge, just let soldiers do what they do best, KILL the other side. No area is "off limits" , no person is "off limits", no weapons are "off limits".

It is a very simple solution, KILL OR BE KILLED.. But use only those men/women that are capable of doing it. Do not send in college kids who are afraid of the dark. Use Killers, not children.

It is my steadfast belief that if unleashed, the Marines by itself could have defeated the enemy in 90 days, if give the proper "rules of engagement- engage and destroy". Long live Chu Lai....................

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    SPRAY THE NORTH VIETNAMESE WITH AGENT ORANGE NOT US

Don't fight on the side of a government so corrupt,and unpopular with their own people,that they make the enemy look like the good guys in comparison!!

Thumbs up To Hell with Political Correctness.

Quote Originally Posted by tripledog View Post
    Fighting the war over is very simple , in my mind.

When one goes to war, the object is to WIN, that to me , is the Marine way. I could care less who or what is in charge, just let soldiers do what they do best, KILL the other side. No area is "off limits" , no person is "off limits", no weapons are "off limits".

It is a very simple solution, KILL OR BE KILLED.. But use only those men/women that are capable of doing it. Do not send in college kids who are afraid of the dark. Use Killers, not children.

It is my steadfast belief that if unleashed, the Marines by itself could have defeated the enemy in 90 days, if give the proper "rules of engagement- engage and destroy". Long live Chu Lai....................
    You got it tripledog, well said. If honesty wont overcome any adversary then no politically correct maneouver will prevail. PC never works, even in politics, PC is for despots. In my view, where honesty prevails, any battle can be won, by any leader of any rank. In WWI, the biggest battle was won by a soldier, Sgt. Alvin York, who was then a Corporal when he took Command and led the charge, winning the battle. Gung Ho & kindest regards, Gary Hall.

Thread Information