Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    [QUOTE]
    pulled yourself UP!
    [/QUOTE

Mothers have handles!

Quote Originally Posted by iamcalledtom View Post
    I've been working out for a few weeks in order to do a pull up, which I'd really like to do before I talk to a recruiter. The one thing this forum has shown me is that I'm not alone in being unable to do a pull up, but I'm still quite embarrassed about it.

Right now, I can get just over half way up, but I've been stuck at that point for a while. In order to be able to do a pull up, I've been doing curls, pull downs, push ups, and flexed arm hangs. My question is to those of you who were in the spot I'm in: when you pulled off your first pull up, how my reps of some of those exercises were you able to do (approximately)?

I'm hoping that any replies will give me some indication of how far away I am.
    What I have been doing is assisted pull ups and doing them till failure, and doing about 3 sets, or you could do Pyramids like do 5 then 4 then 3 then 2 then 1 then all the way back up to 5. Also if you are bigger set guy try to get out and run and try to drop weight. I have been doing the Pyramids but I have moved them up to 10 to 10. Now I can do about 8 and when I first joined DEP which was June 27th of this year I could only do the bare minimum of 2, and I started doing the Pyramids about 4 weeks ago.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    So many things I could post here,,,, just ain't gonna.

Marine Friend Free Member NicholasITALY's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    When I was 14.. Now I can do 7 pull ups..and I'm 16.

My question to you is why do you have to be able to do one pull up before you see a recruiter? Whn I was on recruiting duty, if I had a kid who wanted to join but could not do a pull up, I would work out with him 3 times a week at 6am. I had this one kid who was 5'9 140lbs and he could not do a pull up. He was a computer freak his whole life and never really ever worked out. He DEPd and 4 months later before he shipped to boot camp he was doing 15 solid push ups. Most recruiters will help you if you got the motovation and want to join.

I did 20 pull-ups the very first time I ever did them, at 15 years old, I can do 25 now and I am almost 17. I think its very easy for me cause im not very big but I am very strong, 5'10 and 132 lbs.

My question is how you can properly **** a girl without the strength to pull yourself up. Alot of positions need upper body strength. Use that as motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by iamcalledtom View Post
    Unfortunately, I know.

But what I was asking is for the people that had to work in able to do one, what kind of shape were they in when they pulled off their first pull up. For example, how many push ups could you do, and what was your arm hang time? My arm hang time is at 35 seconds--what would be the best guess of how much higher that needs to go in order to do a pull up?
    I can max out hang (70sec) and still not able to do a pull up.

Quote Originally Posted by ZSKI View Post
    My question is how you can properly **** a girl without the strength to pull yourself up. Alot of positions need upper body strength. Use that as motivation.

ROFL, You have got to be kidding me.

Quote Originally Posted by ZSKI View Post
    Lie on my back so I don't have to work.

Back to topic, though, I have never done one in my entire life, and I still can't but I'm really close. I just got more punches on my card for the gym and finally got a set work schedule, so I have time to hit the bar every day.

It's really a ****ty feeling not being able to do a pull-up.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    dont feel bad gobuff, a year an a half ago i use to be able to do atleast 15, now im only able to do 2 or 3... just keep practicing before i was able to do 15 i was at where i am now, i just kept trying and doing a **** ton of push ups and arm and neck/back exercises and then i was able to bust them out. so im shooting for atleast 15 again by october.

Credits
    Savings
    it was so long ago i don't even remember. but i remembered when i was in 7th grade i was in the best shape of my life, running a mile in 7 minutes is the best i've ever done, and being able to do 7 pullups. it may not be much but it was the best shape i've ever been in my entire life. and now i can only do 5 pullups and i can't even run a half mile yet. i'm 18 right now turning 19 in october.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Playstation Strikes Again,,,,,,,,You all ain't survival material,,,,, Your just food. LOL.

Credits
    Savings
    I've always been able able to do at least 10, on a bad day. Heck I can still pump out 16 overhand dead hangs. I'm just a trashy truck driver.
    Ditch the flex hangs, they don't work all the right muscles. Do as many assists as possible. Put your hands together, thumb tip to thumb tip, pointer finger tip to pointer. When you look down you should see a triangle. Do as many push ups as possible like that. Do a set at every commercial or every 5 - 10 minutes if on the computer or in between stages/ levels on the play station.
    Change your diet. Eating junk is starving your muscles of the nutrients it needs to grow and strengthen. Start out by cutting out all soda / pop products, candy bars, potato chips, etc .... .
    Start taking multi vitamins and strive for 8 hours sleep a night. Give your muscles a break, at least one day minimum every week to heal and rejuvinate.

Credits
    Savings
    well it wasnt the playstation that got me, it was a girlfriend who loved to eat out a lot and get desert every time, and at work, i hurt my shoulder lifting up a 400lb spool of fiber optics on a cable spool w/ my shoulder so the lil guys could adjust the height. stupid me :-/ but its better now.

Thread Information