Create Post
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Exclamation NSN-No **** News

June 03, 2008
    NSN-No **** News
    http://www.onemarinesview.com/
    Posted by Maj Pain

Good comments left by readers like YOU!

· "Eighteen American soldiers died in May, the lowest total of the war and an 86 percent drop from the 126 who died in May 2007."

· It will be an interesting campaign if the Dems continue to pull the get out of

Iraq because we are losing schpeel - - just wonder if any journalist will have the guts to say, "Um, excuse me, last we checked, we're winning."

· The surge didn’t work in Iraq …………….no really, they said that, or should I say continue to say that.

Local Sheiks in our area have continued to tell of stories about how life was with Al-Qaida present. The evil that existed and now, its not a new way of life, it’s a new era. Economy growing, shops opening, insurgents are now the outcast, not the shop owner, not the Iraqi Policeman, the insurgents. I remember how it was on my previous deployments; it was not a good way of life for any of the above, except for the enemy. Now things are back in the peoples hands. Why can’t some Americans see this? Why can’t they see the growth of the Iraq’s, their leadership taking steps, their cohesion? May be those that deny it see it but ignore it. The insurgents see this, and they hate it. Maybe a letter from one insurgent to another would read like this.
    Dear fellow scumbag, how is your mother? Oh yes that’s right you killed her. Any ways I was looking to find that prime spot to plant that IED in the city yesterday you know that hole your cousin dug last week just before he pre-detonated?? Any way I couldn’t help but notice those dang Marines are everywhere, what is an insurgent to do? I can’t even go get my insurgent unemployment card because they are in all of the streets. Arrrghh!! I was trying to intimidate the local sheik but he told me to come by this afternoon to see him and when I got near his village. AArrrgghhh more Marines. You don’t think he was trying to trick me do you? No of course not I am too intimidating for that…right? I remember the old times when we could scare the silly Americans with threats, but those days are gone my fellow scumbag. AArrgghh! Now I have this silly IED vest on that your brother made, you know I have to tell you he isn’t all that smart, there is no kidding explosives in this thing. I mean I could be getting out of my car smoking a cigarette looking at the new line of sheep in the area and boom dang detonator gets hung on the seat belt. Did I mention its cumbersome, how do I tend your funeral wearing this? It doesn’t go with my latest attire. AAArrgghh. Well I must go my fiend, those pesky Marines are approaching and I have to run before they come here and I snag my fashionable detonator on the door handle on the way out. It will ruin the carpet…..AArrrgghh..

Ellie

June 02, 2008
    IRAQ IN THE NEWS........NAAAAA C'MON

Iraq in the news? Cant be, no say it isn’t so, are we still in Iraq , Is there a war on??? WAKE UP PEOPLE!! The Washington Post has actually done a story about success. I bet they are all looking at one another going crap, were gonna get fired for doing this…..Washington Post Sunday, June 1, 2008; Page B06
    The Iraqi Upturn
    Don't look now, but the U.S.-backed government and army may be winning the war.

THERE'S BEEN a relative lull in news coverage and debate about Iraq in recent weeks -- which is odd, because May could turn out to have been one of the most important months of the war. While Washington's attention has been fixed elsewhere, military analysts have watched with astonishment as the Iraqi government and army have gained control for the first time of the port city of Basra and the sprawling Baghdad neighborhood of Sadr City, routing the Shiite militias that have ruled them for years and sending key militants scurrying to Iran. At the same time, Iraqi and U.S. forces have pushed forward with a long-promised offensive in Mosul, the last urban refuge of al-Qaeda. So many of its leaders have now been captured or killed that U.S. Ambassador Ryan C. Crocker, renowned for his cautious assessments, said that the terrorists have "never been closer to defeat than they are now."

Iraq passed a turning point last fall when the U.S. counterinsurgency campaign launched in early 2007 produced a dramatic drop in violence and quelled the incipient sectarian war between Sunnis and Shiites. Now, another tipping point may be near, one that sees the Iraqi government and army restoring order in almost all of the country, dispersing both rival militias and the Iranian-trained "special groups" that have used them as cover to wage war against Americans. It is -- of course -- too early to celebrate; though now in disarray, the Mahdi Army of Moqtada al-Sadr could still regroup, and Iran will almost certainly seek to stir up new violence before the U.S. and Iraqi elections this fall. Still, the rapidly improving conditions should allow U.S. commanders to make some welcome adjustments -- and it ought to mandate an already-overdue rethinking by the "this-war-is-lost" caucus in Washington, including Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.).

Gen. David H. Petraeus signaled one adjustment in recent testimony to Congress, saying that he would probably recommend troop reductions in the fall going beyond the ongoing pullback of the five "surge" brigades deployed last year. Gen. Petraeus pointed out that attacks in Iraq hit a four-year low in mid-May and that Iraqi forces were finally taking the lead in combat and on multiple fronts at once -- something that was inconceivable a year ago. As a result the Iraqi government of Nouri al-Maliki now has "unparalleled" public support, as Gen. Petraeus put it, and U.S. casualties are dropping sharply. Eighteen American soldiers died in May, the lowest total of the war and an 86 percent drop from the 126 who died in May 2007.

If the positive trends continue, proponents of withdrawing most U.S. troops, such as Mr. Obama, might be able to responsibly carry out further pullouts next year. Still, the likely Democratic nominee needs a plan for Iraq based on sustaining an improving situation, rather than abandoning a failed enterprise. That will mean tying withdrawals to the evolution of the Iraqi army and government, rather than an arbitrary timetable; Iraq's 2009 elections will be crucial. It also should mean providing enough troops and air power to continue backing up Iraqi army operations such as those in Basra and Sadr City. When Mr. Obama floated his strategy for Iraq last year, the United States appeared doomed to defeat. Now he needs a plan for success.

Posted by Maj Pain

Ellie

June 06, 2008
    Magnificent Seven!

We have been conducting several operations in the area. Badguys, unm you should find a new profession because your days are numbered, no really you should head for the mountains. Maybe Afghanistan?? They have mountains there. I’ll put in a good word for you with a couple hundred of my close Marine buddies there.

Last week there we were on a patrol, following some warm foot prints on the trail, sweat salt in the eyes, body armor pulling at your muscles in your back, thin layer of dirt covering all of your exposed skin and we got a nice calling card from Mr Scumbag. A nice IED that scratched our truck. OK maybe a bit more than scratched but every one was good to go but ****ed. Not the kind of ****ed when you step in a pile dog **** that your neighbors dog left but the “I’m gonna enjoy gutting you boy” (From the Movie - The Rock) kind of ****ed, with an evil smile. I’m sure Mr Scum bag got a cheap ass chuckle from watching a black cloud engulf the armored truck but I bet he wasn’t laughing when the attack helos showed up. What? Ahhhh you didn’t like that so much my little scumbag buddy? Meet Mr Hellfire rocket. That’s right you got a couple thousand dollars of hate and discontent filled with military grade explosive pointed at you. Oh look at that we have 8 rockets in the air today. Yes, those are the really big ones that are laser guided and very distinctive when hauling through the sky at you. Now you have met the “dirt people”, some call us Marines. Choose whatever word you like, just remember we look good in our uniform and we’ll kick you ass too! A couple of my Marines shoot the **** with me as the normal duties of the day pass as we bare the 112 temps. You know the kind of guys that would wreck their dads car and try to fix it themselves or the ones that think everyone has gun racks in their truck at home. (What, you don’t?)Yes and of course the ones who you glance at real quick and they hit you with this **** eating grin that says , “I didn’t do it” You know they are up to something but its probably better if you don’t know. These are the early 20 year olds I would take a bullet for, no doubt. Here in Iraq they are the glue that holds the villages together, the kindness that brings medical attention and the ones that breathe fire when you try to blow them up. Back in the states they are the kid that you know that lived next door but lost track of, “little billy?” that use to bag your groceries and the brother or dad you know like the back of your hand. Yes, where do we get these guys I ask myself as we clear/search 15 football size blocks of potential bad guys in overflowing sewer areas, mount up and conduct vehicle check points with a smile. Don’t worry for a second about them getting attacked. Are they protected, yes, are they trained, hell yes, do they take the fight to the enemy, well I wish you could ask the enemy on that one. We often do the job of several with only seven, but they are a magnificent seven! Semper Fidelis.

Posted by Maj Pain

Ellie

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	kicking_ass_4.jpg‎
Views:	282
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	5413  

June 07, 2008
    YOU DESERVE BETTER!!

Where are the reporters now? Is it blood and guts they want to see? Iraq is a brutal country. But perhaps we need to inform reporters and “News” stations that “its’ not about gore, its about progress and success. How come we don’t have embedded reporters here now in Iraq? Has anyone else noticed their absence? Where are the “Special Reports” on Iraq during prime time TV? Are our service members lives any less important now compared to when the embeds were here? Does the news agency think this is a less important time in Iraq or for that matter in Afghanistan? The actions of the news station says yes. Sex and gore sell, US service members winning, kids getting fed and democracy doesn’t.

My last two deployments here we were taking one step forward and three steps back but now we are progressing with one step at a time to the front, partnered with the Iraq people. Everyday I work with sheiks, Iraqi Police and Iraqi Soldiers and I see they are making a difference and doing what we have taught them a year ago. Recently, in an Iraqi community, they established a city council. They elected members to be apart of the council, then they elected a council leader. Last time I checked this is that thing called democracy, but hey who are we kidding, US soldier deaths are better headlines. Yet again, I guess its better to put a story about Paris Hilton on the network instead an altering event like democracy being established and peoples life being changed, forever, yes, I would much rather know how many time Paris Hiltons dog takes a crap. (That was sarcasm for you tree huggers trying to hack my blog.) The local Iraqi people are making it happen. From locals surrendering as former insurgent sympathizers, because they are tired of being intimidated to the Iraqi police man working for free to make a difference. Fox news, CNN and many others are so worried about not competing as well with its rivalry news station that they have become more of an entertainment show than a news and information broadcast. Consequently they are missing the entire picture and major events like the growth and changes in Iraq. Sure, they have I-report, and the like but this is exactly what I’m talking about. They are more concerned about a sexy logo on their screen to peek interest than actually reporting the news. How about taking the money invested in one week of “I-report” and fly a reporter to Iraq, where the rubber meets the road. Wouldn’t you rather know about the growth and success in a war torn region by your military or would you rather see some mediocre You-tube video of ducks crossing the street. The news station would say ducks, or should I say ARE saying ducks. Don’t get me wrong here, I wanted this post to focus on Iraq, the successful surge and the great things its people are doing for their country. Its just you, the ”world” doesn’t get the word about it or if you do its skewed bits and pieces from CNN & Fox then you have been entertained and not really “informed”. Don’t be one of the sheep and be fixated on the “only source of news”, be a sheep dog and know that there are other sources out there like blogs, radio etc. This way you will be in the know and not just entertained. Fox and CNN spread so quickly because they are convenient and we are so busy and most of all people believe it all. This is why you should demand they report accurately and give the news. I challenge other blogs to post this as this is the backbone of blogs, hell; it was the backbone of the newspaper before blogs. I get irate, when I hear the half assed comments from home. “Iraq is in turmoil”, “We haven’t really made a difference for the time we have had troops in Iraq”, or one of my favorites when they approached me when I was home, “Let me tell you about Iraq”. Are they ****ting me? Here is a key factor, listen, unless you have been here or in Afghanistan, and I’m not talking about one of their 3 day adventures you read about then hear them say “I just got back from Iraq” bull**** in Newsweek magazine, or you have dedicated a very significant time researching this area in its “current” situation, then really, you are basing your internal decision and opinions about Iraq on merely on what news agencies have told you. Yes, I know you have a life in America, I don’t expect everyone to go to Iraq. I would expect you to demand that your news bring you the un-political unbiased truth or listen to those who have been there. You deserve better! Iraq isn’t about democrats or republicans; it’s about freeing a country from evil tyrants and assisting it to grow from our help. American politics have not been largely affected by a series of small villages becoming one and growing free of evil but the Iraqi politics have been affected by this. Just think what kind of great messages could be sent if our politicians did capitalize on the military’s above and beyond accomplishments here. Perhaps that’s why the news entertainment reporters haven’t been here lately, perhaps they don’t want to admit and show all the good that has been completed and ultimately admit that President Bush did it right. I think you deserve better but that’s just One Marine’s View.

Posted by Maj Pain

Ellie

NSN (No **** News) RESULTS

I could of guessed the results would have turned out like this. It’s kinda NO**** obvious that Iraq has gotten better so let’s talk about those votes last and why the rest of the window lickers voted the way they did!

My poor Bambi, Disney World voters that voted “Iraq is worse off” (3.5%) For the love of all that is good, do you live under a rock? Do you not know any servicemembers? Ohh I know you watch CNN. I get it. Of course you would vote Iraq is worse off. Because that’s what the Communist News Network want you to believe. Sure the infidels have occupied the land that doesn’t want help. Sure, we haven’t rid the country of thousands of insurgent scumbags, sure we havent restored democracy where a higher arch wants you to do what they say or you die. Lets forget the old regime likes to gas their own but your right, Iraq is worse off now. Here is an idea, you get your little but over here, talk to a few locals, and then when they look at you like you just fell of the stupid branch, perhaps you might begin to distrust the CNN. But, hey I know, Iraq is worse off. Good call….sheep! But when I looked at the map where the vote came from(California) I figured oh, man Paris Hilton was ****ed at me for dogging her in a different post and decided to vote. Good call Paris, way to show Britney who the boss it.GAG….puke.

This next group who voted “Not Sure” (1.2 %) is another lonesome sheep. Baaaaa. How can you actually vote as “Not sure”?? I wasn’t even going to put this on the poll but a buddy said, I should give them a side bet…..You should get off the internet and look into the mirror and really asses your contribution to society. The vote was from AAAAALA BAMA! Forest Gump would kick you ass for voting that way…….Jeeenny

So now we breach into the voters who are meat eaters and who apparently actually read blogs (if I offended any vegetarians, I could give a rats ass). Good on ya for seeing straight. Stay as far away as possible from the two groups above. (95.3%) voted Iraq has gotten better. No, say it isn’t so. CNN won’t. Fox barely will, as they squat around it. YOU have said it. Print this post out, roll it up and beat anyone from the news agency with it. I know it wont help but C’mon, why don’t hey get it?? The American people get it, at least a good percentage does, they see it so why does the press keep using it as the drone music to beat you down saying “the waaaaaaar is lost……Marines baaaaaad, get ooooouuutt of IIIIRRRAAQQ, were goonnnnnaaaa loooosse?? Booogie boogie !! They are trying to convince you that the President didn’t stop ****bags from attacking America following 9/11, they are trying to TELL YOU what they want you to believe. Well, I would like to be the first to tell the news agency to pound sand (yes, I put that nice…kids read this blog…smart kids at least do). I’m glad you all “get it”, its scary that there is even one percentage that doesn’t or should I say almost 4%......YIKES. Trolls, swing by, I have the sheep grain laid out leading to Troll grinder……….I’ll be the one next to it with the cigar.

Posted by Maj Pain

Ellie

Do we still have troops in Iraq?

ARTICLE BY RALPH PETERS
    May 20, 2008 -- DO we still have troops in Iraq? Is there still a conflict over there?

If you rely on the so-called mainstream media, you may have difficulty answering those questions these days. As Iraqi and Coalition forces pile up one success after another, Iraq has magically vanished from the headlines.

Want a real "inconvenient truth?" Progress in Iraq is powerful and accelerating.

But that fact isn't helpful to elite media commissars and cadres determined to decide the presidential race over our heads. How dare our troops win? Even worse, Iraqi troops are winning. Daily.

You won't see that above the fold in The New York Times. And forget the Obama-intoxicated news networks - they've adopted his story line that the clock stopped back in 2003.

To be fair to the quit-Iraq-and-save-the-terrorists media, they have covered a few recent stories from Iraq:

* When a rogue US soldier used a Koran for target practice, journalists pulled out all the stops to turn it into "Abu Ghraib, The Sequel."

Unforgivably, the Army handled the situation well. The "atrocity" didn't get the traction the *****spondents hoped for.

* When a battered, bleeding al Qaeda managed to set off a few bombs targeting Sunni Arabs who'd turned against terror, that, too, received delighted media play.

* As long as Baghdad-based journalists could hope that the joint US-Iraqi move into Sadr City would end disastrously, we were treated to a brief flurry of headlines.

* A few weeks back, we heard about another Iraqi company - 100 or so men - who declined to fight. The story was just delicious, as far as the media were concerned.

Then tragedy struck: As in Basra the month before, absent-without-leave (and hiding in Iran) Muqtada al Sadr quit under pressure from Iraqi and US troops. The missile and mortar attacks on the Green Zone stopped. There's peace in the streets.

Today, Iraqi soldiers, not militia thugs, patrol the lanes of Sadr City, where waste has replaced roadside bombs as the greatest danger to careless footsteps. US advisers and troops support the effort, but Iraq's government has taken another giant step forward in establishing law and order.

My fellow Americans, have you read or seen a single interview with any of the millions of Iraqis in Sadr City or Basra who are thrilled that the gangster militias are gone from their neighborhoods?

Didn't think so. The basic mission of the American media between now and November is to convince you, the voter, that Iraq's still a hopeless mess.

Meanwhile, they've performed yet another amazing magic trick - making Kurdistan disappear.

Remember the Kurds? Our allies in northern Iraq? When last sighted, they were living in peace and building a robust economy with regular elections, burgeoning universities and municipal services that worked.

After Israel, the most livable, decent place in the greater Middle East is Iraqi Kurdistan. Wouldn't want that news getting out.

If the Kurds would only start slaughtering their neighbors and bombing Coalition troops, they might get some attention. Unfortunately, there are no US or allied combat units in Kurdistan for Kurds to bomb. They weren't needed. And (benighted people that they are) the Kurds are pro-American - despite the virulent anti-Kurdish prejudices prevalent in our Saudi-smooching State Department.

Developments just keep getting grimmer for the MoveOn.org fan base in the media. Iraq's Sunni Arabs, who had supported al Qaeda and homegrown insurgents, now support their government and welcome US troops. And, in southern Iraq, the Iranians lost their bid for control to Iraq's government.

Bury those stories on Page 36.

Our troops deserve better. The Iraqis deserve better. You deserve better. The forces of freedom are winning.

Here in the Land of the Free, of course, freedom of the press means the freedom to boycott good news from Iraq. But the truth does have a way of coming out.

The surge worked. Incontestably. Iraqis grew disenchanted with extremism. Our military performed magnificently. More and more Iraqis have stepped up to fight for their own country. The Iraqi economy's taking off. And, for all its faults, the Iraqi legislature has accomplished far more than our own lobbyist-run Congress over the last 18 months.

When Iraq seemed destined to become a huge American embarrassment, our media couldn't get enough of it. Now that Iraq looks like a success in the making, there's a virtual news blackout.

Of course, the front pages need copy. So you can read all you want about the heroic efforts of the Chinese People's Army in the wake of the earthquake.

Tells you all you really need to know about our media: American soldiers bad, Red Chinese troops good.

Is Jane Fonda on her way to the earthquake zone yet?

Posted by Maj Pain

Ellie

June 17, 2008
    Another fear for the enemy...

The flying beast came into the world of the dirt people. The Osprey (V-22). Although we weren’t use to seeing controlled flying objects, we welcomed its arrival. It brought me back to the early 2000s where I was at the command that conducted “exiting” research for the Osprey. Fast roping, rappelling and other “exiting” techniques had to be tested and with experimental apparatuses’ that fastened onto the aircraft. Yes, they are paying me to do this as well. The first step is the worst. Talk about power, this beast has it all. Sit down, shut up and hang on. Coming to a bad guy neighborhood near you...if you live in Iraq!

Posted by Maj Pain

Ellie

Name:	osprey_in_iraq.jpg‎
Views:	214
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	5445  

June 22, 2008
    LETTERS FROM HOME-WHAT WOULD YOU SAY?

OMV Letters From Home....Support YOUR Marines!!What would you say to the warrior in the picture above if you could chat with him? You might say "Thanks for protecting us", or "We support you", if you were somewhere in passing. But what if you were sitting down, sharing your feelings over dinner? Then what would you say to him? Think about it, because you now have that opportunity.

We have a large group of Marines currently located in a remote area of Iraq. Mail might arrive once a week if the fates are with them, and water is obtained from a well on site. These are your Marines, living on the edge of the empire, alone and determined to succeed. They don't live in Fallujah, they don't have a PX or a store. They operate with the bare bones and a can do attitude. Adapt and overcome are the pillars of their structure, while rebuilding in an insurgent filled area. Police stations are built and governed by Lt's, and life and death decisions are made by 20 something year olds.

They sleep in WWII era wooden huts and sleeping bags, as the constant blowing dirt finds its way into everything they own. They cherish the basic things most take for granted in the states. Operating flawlessly in the 100+ weather is not the exception, it's the expected. They are a tight group that redefines the phrase, "No Better Friend, No Worse Enemy".

While deployed, I've heard about others who have asked you, our awesome supporters, to step up to the plate. You've been asked to help keep morale high and to show your men how much you appreciate them. And you have! Well, I'm asking again. Through our blog www.OneMarinesView.com (OMV) "Letters From Home", you can send your warriors in Iraq an email to show them how much you care. You may have sent a letter in the past where one or two servicemen got to read it. This time, sending in an email will give OMV the right to publish it in any format, thereby allowing me to publicly post them all. This way many will benefit from your support, instead of just a couple. Please take just a few minutes to let your Marines know how proud you are of their outstanding service, and incredible spirit.

Your servicemembers are making a difference regardless of the small amount of press showing their great achievements. YOU know they are doing great, make a difference yourself and email them your thoughts at dirtpeople@gmail.com !

One Team One Fight-Maj Pain

Ellie

June 24, 2008
    What's for dinner?

Gang-
    First and most important, thank all of you for our support. Mail has been hit or miss with air delivery but hey, some is better than none. Don’t be discouraged, it will all get here eventually (2 days before I go home…kidding). We have been making a nice meal out of the care package we do get. Our diets of Doritos, trail mix and open cans of chief boy R Dee are pretty good when you’re hungry, heat not required, you have the almighty sun two inches away from you blaring in your face (it was only 117 today). I’ve lost 30 pounds as none of my clothes fit anymore. GRAND…..not. Trying to pack on the calories, I’ve resorted to full on attack diet of MREs. You supposable get around 2000 calories from each of these things but its all in the delivery of the meal. Hey, don’t knock it until you try it, or are so freaking hungry you can eat a dead cat in the road…….here kitty.

It was a tough decision today as I looked into the dirt filled leftovers in the cardboard MRE box, chicken vegetables and noodles in some kind of really funky smelling sauce with mushrooms, or the ever not so favorite Cajun meat (do they want me to explode?) or Jambalaya…….yes the stuff with seafood…….in a bag……for a year or so. OK, looks like its chicken and veggies.

As the chicken heated up in the almighty chemical heater pouch that took off a layer of skin it was so hot, I inhaled a small bag of pretzels. Tasty I thought then thought Damn! Should have washed my hands, as the post thought goes through my head after I’ve shook about 30 Iraqis hands recently. Grab the cracker packet that came in the pouch of chow and pummeled them into crumbs “BAM”, this is key to be mixed with the chicken and then finally mash the cheese spread packet “BAM” because everyone knows you can choke down anything with cheese on it………and maybe ketchup, salt, pepper……oh anyway its all good. So now everything is in place as you cut the envelope holding the hotter than sun chicken and smell the omniscient fresh chicken smell fill the room. That’s not chicken I smell though as the Marine in the next room just did a “crop dusting” butt gassing. For the love of God man, did he crap himself? Take that outside and burn your clothes and bleach your body over and over until that dead animal smell goes away. This is the part where the women really love us fellas! Boooya!

Crackers smashed and poured into chicken”BAM”, eyes still burning a bit from recent gas attack but no need for gas mask just yet as I tell my self “I’m tuff, I can take it” in a high pitched voice. More like I can taste it. Gag, puke. Wait, I can’t find my dang spoon now. No, its not because of the continuous eye watering, I have misplaced it. Never leave your spoon around while eating, often you best buddy while accidently pick it up (because he lost his) or you may set it in mice poo or something (never good). This is bad, no spoon means I have to eat this like a dog eating food out of a bowl, yes I’ve done it, no I’m not proud of it but will do it again. Wait found it; it was in my pocket, swhoo. Chemicals now continue to rise out of the MRE heater pouch combined with recent gas attack, we might have a problem. First bite is little off, perhaps dumping the small bag of highly melted M&Ms into it will be the trick, nope that didn’t work well and now the heat has caused a very bad looking chicken to turn worse with cheese, crackers and yet M&M syrup sprinkled on it. To bad, its “what’s for dinner” as the commercial says. Second bite is delayed due to the two fly’s that thought they rated the chow more than me as they did a drive by spoon pooping on the bite. Death to all flys, I say to myself. YUM.

The meal has now hit my stomach and began its 3x expansion in size completely attracting all water out of other parts of my body. Why does my head hurt? Wipe hands off with sanitize napkin next to the quarter size “toilet paper” pkg which is only enough TP to really see a grown man make a complete mess of himself. Begin to pick up the several shredded empty envelopes of chow that will most likely stick to your butt if you don’t pick them up. Not a real symbol of authority (insert visual here). Stuff everything back into the jumbo bullet stopping plastic bag this heart attack meal came in and encourage with a manly size 12 foot to flatten …..again “BAM”. Tell your kids to eat their dinner tonight or they get “what’s for dinner” from Maj Pain. Thanks again for the support and chow. BAM!

Posted by Maj Pain

Ellie

Exclamation

June 27, 2008
    “Its HOT, you don’t understand!!!"

This picture is what 117 degrees looks like when you glance straight up at the sun (kids, dont try this at home). It reminds me back in Afghanistan when a Lt and I were talking about a particular tactic on a mountain side and he knelt down on one knee in the heat, donning full battle gear as we shot the ****. He began to wipe his sweat covered head. You ok Lt. I asked as he scrunched down and folded up like a bug. He said, yes Sir, I’m just trying to get into my own shade. We laughed but in all reality, that’s what he was really trying to do. That’s what 117 degrees is like. “Its HOT, you don’t understand!!!"

We departed our friendly lines early. It was still warm. Those in Arizona know how we feel in the morning and it’s in the high 90s. Its warm, you are a bit uncomfortable but like we all have been “warm” before, you ignore it until you make a comment like “For the love of God it’s hot” and you go inside to get cooled off with a nice cold drink. You’re cramped up into a Hummer (for us over six foot), battle gear is tight fitting, a small bit of anxiety is inside you but you’ve done this many times before. Go through your operating procedures, go to condition one on your weapon systems. A simple click off safe and you bring a big can of whoop ass to the fight in a second. The systematic checks and procedures continue, you all work together and don’t have to say a word, you know it by heart. You raise a shoulder to let the body armor rubbing your waist move position to stop the already developed rubbed area on your hip. This is usually when the fine moon dirt much like flour swoops up from the crack in the door and coats your body and you make one of those bpuuff noises from your mouth to try to stop it from coating your lungs. Too late. “ I got the black lung, POPs” one of my Marine says the line from the movie “Zoolander” and we all get a chuckle. The drive is relatively short as you scan for some signs of some a waste of air that planted a little surprise for you in the road. Now you’re in the realm, good layer of dirt on you as you get out to search an assigned area. Before it was warm, ok now it’s hot as you feel the heat bounce off the dirt back up at you and burn you retinas. Stooooopid dinosaurs, no wonder they died, its as hot as the surface of the inferno sun out here. Sweat on your cheeks, back and in that previous rubbed spot that is just the icing to really **** you off. Scumbags were here, you see signs that show they just left or left and are watching you look for them. We have a bigger margin of error, they can’t mess up once, or they are dead. You finish off your first bottle of water and grab another, warm bottle of water after searching a house. You get into the hummer and see the seat soaked with sweat, swell, my kidneys are probably just about to shut down in 3-2-1 you think as the drips of sweat go down your shins. Fold legs back into the origami position and you’re off.

You take your helmet off during a debrief after the mission and you can feel the fresh air hit your skin although it’s a nice ultra violet sun burning wind hitting you, it still is a wind, with really fine sand filling your ears. Damn fine sand has been giving us hell as the wind picks it up, along with everything else in the sand, mummy poo, DNA, and the most recent sand flea eggs. Yes, we have had fly larva in Marines eyes and now sand fleas crapping their eggs in Marines ears. Brings a new meaning to the title “Dirt People”.

Its 1400 and every bit still well over 110. This is one of the only times of the day that flys say screw this and go hide somewhere nasty. Everything is hot, the wind, the fire retardant clothes you wear, I bet if we dug ten feet down there would be lava. There is always a chance of another mission later in the day so you maximize your time. If you’re not doing laundry in some sorry excuse of a trashcan filled with water, you “PT” (physical train/exercise). I got this damn rocket scientist idea to go for a perimeter run. The heat hits your back as you stretch and you feel the heat release your muscles,ahhh that feels good. What the hell am I doing, this doesn’t feel good you think as you begin to pick up speed as you take the first few steps. The first half mile is always the worst for me as usually I’m trying to keep my heart from exploding and wipe the sweat out of my eyes at the same time. Then as I loosen up, the sun crazy, rabies infested dogs begin to bark at you. This is your signal to step it up because they are saying, “George, look, another Marine is running for it, get jake, its lunch time” and before you know it you have 2-3 four legged butt lickers chasing you growling. Jake he’s the shepherd for the devil and the three legged one is the ring leader. Ya, try to play tuff guy and shout at them, they like the rough talk. Stumble and you’re a jeky stick to them. You could have a patch over your eye and have a broken leg and son, your gonna run!“Its HOT, you don’t understand!!!"

I loose the dogs, this time and my tongue is swelling up in my cotton dry mouth as I have my head cocked to the side and think I look like Ricky Bobbie from Talladega Nights, screaming “Help me Tom Cruise, I’m on fire” arms flaying around and dogs just sitting looking at me saying “He bad white meat, don’t eat him, you’ll die”.“Its HOT, you don’t understand!!!"

Light headed and feeling my pulse pounding away I finish the couple mile run, and think, well that was stupid. As you gulp some water you can feel the pores in your mouth expand back to their original size. Air out your feet and try to kill that fungus that has a mind of its own and begin to aid your breathing with a nice cigar.

Word of another mission comes down. You have enough time to through on a dry t-shirt and throw down some chow and suit back up. Your clothes are still wet from the previous mission but the sweat rings are hardening up on the sleeves. Just sitting in the hummer makes you sweat as you feel the rivers of perspiration flow into regions where for the love of god nothing should go. Your clothes are now like a wet towel on you under your armor. Your on your fourth bottle of water and haven’t had to pee, notsogood. Gatorade taste like heaven as you try not to completely wash all of the minerals out of your body and have a heart attack. You try to shift your butt in the sweat soaked seat but it doesn’t matter you’re a big pile of nastiness, the flies have given up on you or died when they landed on you and did I mention there is little air circulation inside the vehicle even though there is a big hole for the turret? “Its HOT , you don’t understand!!!"

Just one cloud, is that too much to ask for, one cloud? No such luck as you talk into the radio and forget to get ready for the moon dirt shooting into the door. “Nice dirt covered teeth” taste like chicken……or not. Is it a bad sign when it’s so hot the birds don’t even fly, they just run on the ground with their mouths open trying to keep their hearts from exploding…………went for a perimeters run huh? I ask the vulture looking thing starring at us. We get back after the mission and peel ourselves out of our vehicles. Sweat covered from head to toe and gear covered with sweat rings. You could shower later but you have to remember“Its HOT, you don’t understand!!!"

Posted by Maj Pain

Ellie

July 02, 2008
    Independence Day 08

In most branches of the military, the first of the month is when service members get promoted if they have met the requirements. On July 1st, Marines here in Iraq were no different. As blowing sand came across the landscape, their promotion would be done in a combat zone instead of some nice clean meeting room, Marines gathered in formation as they had accomplished the requirements and met guidelines to be promoted to the next rank. No family members, no high attention, just fellow Marines ready to be promoted and fellow Marines ready to congratulate them.

“In 1778, General George Washington marked Independence Day with a double ration of rum for his soldiers and an artillery salute.” Wikipedia

Wide eyed, covered in dirt, Marines in their early 20s stood as symbols of America’s finest. Brave, disciplined and eager to fight any sort of insurgency that showed its face on the drop of a hat, they positioned themselves to be promoted. When promoted, a warrant is read and they are asked who they would like to pin on their new rank. It is an honor to recognize the new Sergeants, Corporals and Lance Corporals as the selected fellow Marine actually pins on their new rank onto the collar of the Marine and welcomes them to the new challenges.

These are the young leaders of America. The ones typical Americans may think had no other choice but to join the military, or looked upon as kids. I can assure you that the days of resorting to the military as a last choice are gone and these “kids” not only maintain million dollar military equipment perfectly, but can make a life and death decisions in a blink of an eye and are tuff as nails. These are the warriors who get tasked to serve the thankless jobs of several patrol, standing guard and small unit leaders. However when on guard, they could be and usually are faced with that one situation of a suicide borne vehicle that attacks a front gate and they make the conscious decisions to fight back and kill the attacker. These are the service members who then return back to the states only to resume mundane jobs when they get out of the military and are considered ”kids”.

America, you got to know your young Marines are on the cutting edge of it all. Maturity, discipline, education and health. They truly are the epitome of America and those who found this country, would still be proud of their Marines today as they were in 1776.

During this 4th of July holiday, when we celebrate the independence of our great country, take a second during the picnics, BBQs, patriotic music and fireworks and pay a few seconds of honor to those keeping our independence free. Because as you enjoy your holiday, newly promoted warriors stand guard and keep the wolf at bay.

“In 1778, General George Washington marked Independence Day with a double ration of rum for his soldiers and an artillery salute.” Wikipedia)

Have one for us during your holiday and keep the other shot of rum until we can get home and share it with you!!
    Semper Fidelis – Maj Pain

Ellie

July 04, 2008
    PRICE OF FREEDOM

TODAY, the 232nd anniversary of the day our Declaration of Independence rang out in

Philadelphia
    , we rightly honor the men who debated and signed the document: Jefferson, Adams,

Franklin
    and their colleagues. Yet, after that glorious declaration was signed in ink, it had to be counter-signed in blood.

Without men willing to take up arms and fight for the freedoms the Founding Fathers asserted, the words themselves would have secured us nothing.

It took courage to affix a signature to the Declaration. But it had taken another kind of courage entirely to stand at

Lexington
    and

Concord
    the year before. Our Founding Fathers would have become hopeless fugitives, had determined soldiers not stood by Gen.

Washington
    - from the disaster on Long Island, through the misery of Valley Forge and on to

Yorktown

Then what would our Constitution have availed us, had another generation of patriots not filled the ranks at Chippewa,

Ft.

McHenry
    and

New Orleans
    ? What good would Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation have done without an army in Union blue?

FDR's "Four Freedoms" would have been laughable, had 10 million American men and women refused to put on their uniforms. President Ronald Reagan's call, "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" would've been absurd, had still more generations of our soldiers not stood watch on the

Rhine

Unless etched in the blood of patriots, noble words evaporate. Yet, for all too many Americans today, words have become a substitute for sacrifice. We vow that our fallen heroes shall not be forgotten. Then we forget them.

A painful illustration of how skewed our values have grown was last month's orgy of media self-adoration commemorating a good, but hardly courageous, journalist, Tim Russert.

I'm sorry for Russert's family, but it was appalling to witness the media's we-love-us carnival. Not since President Reagan's funeral had

Washington
    so honored one of our citizens.

Was Russert's passing truly more deserving of commemoration than the loss of service members awarded posthumous Medals of Honor? Had he sacrificed more than those, living and dead, who earned Navy Crosses, Distinguished Service Crosses or Silver Stars in combat?

The only recent instances when the media devoted remotely as much attention to individuals in uniform were the investigation into Spec. Pat Tillman's death, a military botch-up, and the media-amplified Abu Ghraib affair, when journalists gleefully maligned all those who serve over the misdeeds of six reservists.

Newspapers run rows of photographs of fallen service members, pretending to honor their sacrifices, but really to make

Iraq
    seem a costly failure. The images of our dead are used and then discarded by editors whose vanity and ambition would've shamed a decadent Roman emperor.

So, on this Fourth of July, let me briefly honor just one of those who fell so journalists would remain free to belittle his sacrifice:

Second Lt. Peter Burks graduated from Texas A&M, then chose to join the US Army. Commissioned through

Officer

Candidate

School
    and sent to

Iraq
    as a combat platoon leader, he told his parents his goal was to bring his soldiers safely home. Quietly religious and dutiful, Burks was proud to serve.

On Nov. 14, 2007, as the lieutenant led his men back to their base at the end of a patrol in

Baghdad
    , a massive Iranian-made bomb struck his vehicle. Two of his soldiers were wounded. Standing upright in a hatch to direct his unit, Burks was struck in the head by shrapnel and died.

His story was one of many, notched down as just one more casualty by the press. But the Burks family lives in

Texas
    , a long way from DC (in more ways than just distance). Instead of blaming our government, they honored their son's service even as they mourned him.

His relatives remembered how Lt. Burks kept asking them to send goodies for his troops - not all of whom had a strong family supporting them. In his honor, they set up the Peter Burks Unsung Heroes Fund, literally a mom-and-pop effort to support those who serve.

What did their homespun effort accomplish? Nothing that would impress prize-hunting journalists. But they shipped over three tons of snack food and recreational materials to their son's comrades.

So many donations flooded in that the unit chaplain in

Iraq
    set up "Burks Country Store." Everything on the shelves is free for soldiers.

Remember how much we heard about Cindy Sheehan a few years ago, as she cursed the government for the loss of her volunteer son in

Iraq
    ? Why haven't we heard about the Burks? Or about the many other families and friends of our troops who donate their time, goods and hard-earned money to say Thank you! to those who serve?

This Fourth of July, two nations will take a holiday: an intelligentsia that despises, mocks or pities the "losers" in uniform - and the other

America
    , which didn't go to Harvard, but whose sons and daughters insure that We, the People, continue to live in freedom.

I don't think Lt. Burks would want you to mourn him at your holiday barbecue. I'd bet he'd rather have you enjoy everything his sacrifice preserved.

By Ralph Peters'

his new book, "Looking For Trouble," was published today.

Posted by Maj Pain

Ellie

July 04, 2008
    How did you spend the 4th of July?

Your Marines continued kicking ass while completing long convoys today among other patrols and missions. No marching bands, no, fireworks. In fact the men were pretty much happy to hit the rack when they arrived back at our out post late in the evening. Covered in dirt with that “I’ve been in that damn hummer too long” look. Conducting effective missions that do more good than most will realize well after they have returned home. No fancy napkins donned the tables at chow as a few Marines cook some steaks “acquired” out side on a 55 gal grill.

It’s not about the “holiday” as I’m sure most probably took a few minutes to think what was being conducted back home with their families. But like I have been in Iraq during other holidays, Easter, Christmas and the like, its not about the actual “holiday” its about what the holiday stands for. I know every one of these warriors would love to be back home have a nice cold one but when you work your ass off for a no **** honest days work…….it feels pretty good. When you are doing it for your country, it feels damn good. Forget the pretty napkins and watermelon, there will be next years 4th and I bet when they are sitting with their friends and family, I bet they talk of the fourth of July they spent in Iraq, with brothers. That’s how they spent, their 4th of July.

Posted by Maj Pain

Ellie

July 08, 2008
    A broken heart mending

Sounds of joy and laughter resonate through a police station’s narrow hallways. A young boy slowly enters through a doorway at the end to greet the boisterous group of Marines, but the sounds of excitement quickly diminish as they see him gasping for air after walking just a short distance.

The boy, five-year-old Ahmed, is the son of Warrant Officer Othman Mallouki, an Iraqi policeman with Fallujah Headquarters District. Since his birth, Ahmed has suffered from a rare but fatal heart condition that if left untreated, will eventually kill him at an unthinkable, young age.
    Ahmed’s parents first noticed there was something wrong with their son when he was a year old. The medical condition present in Ahmed’s cardiac system keeps needed oxygen from reaching organs like a normal person’s circulatory system would, causing a bluish coloring around the eyes and on the face.
    Tasks such as walking up a set of stairs are very tedious for the young boy because of his medical condition. Ahmed runs completely out of breath performing the simplest of daily activities.
    “I was extremely worried all these years, that I might not be able to get the help my son needs,” said Mallouki. “In our culture, the first born is very important and this is our first son.”
    Only recently did the light begin to peak through at the end of a dark tunnel for Ahmed and his family when Marines from Company B, Police Transition Team 8, Regimental Combat Team 1, and a charitable organization called “Gift of Life,” based in Tampa, Fla. intervened.
    Ahmed’s condition was diagnosed at Fallujah Surgical when Marines took him in for an examination, said Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Craig W. Pasanen, a corpsmen with the team. Doctors discovered a hole in the septum of his heart that causes oxygen and deoxygenated blood to pass through the heart and not the lungs.
    Mallouki and his son have been working with Coalition forces for the past year in attempts to get the money and medical attention that they so desperately need to help Ahmed.
    The operation to mend Ahmed’s heart will be extensive and will require a specialist to stitch the hole inside his heart that is causing his condition.
    But medical expenses for the family soon became too much. The nearest qualified specialist who can perform the surgery locates at a surgical clinic in Jordan. The family had no way of earning the money they need to travel and pay for Ahmed’s medical expenses.
    Several months ago, members of the team contacted representatives at “Gift of Life,” who began sponsoring Mallouki and Ahmed. In June, Mallouki was able to apply for Visas that would allow the father and son access into Jordan. Their travel expenses were also covered by the charitable organization, and Transition Team members organized several convoys to Baghdad, Iraq, to assist.
    Ahmed will finally undergo the surgery he’s needed sometime this month.

“Before I could not hope for anything at all and I was depressed all the time,” said Mallouki. “Now I feel in my heart a sense of hope that my son will grow up normal. I would not have this hope in my life if it weren’t for the Marines here.”
    By Cpl. Chris T. Mann
    FALLUJAH, Iraq (July 1, 2008)

Posted by Maj Pain

Ellie

By the end of the day......
    Posted By Maj Pain

It's not bad when its 113 degrees. Its hot, ya and the salt from the pores of your skin stain your clothes as you continue to become dehydrated. But that's one of the acceptable factors here. Just like sharing a head (toilet) with a couple hundred Marines, except it and get over it. You have an issue with toilet paper being on the ground of a port-a-john and not so clean, you don't like sharing the "shower" almost as fast as a revolving door, you have never had to burn poop? You put those "discomforts" on the side because whining about them here will only get you an ass chewing. "Its hot"…No kidding Captain Obvious…..Go ahead and take you mind off the enemy and let the heat, cramped quarters, long days or any other discomfort beat your focus, that's precisely when the enemy will reach up and smack you in the face. Suck it up cup cake, its gonna be a long ride, even longer if you aren't mentally tuff. By the end of the day, you'll get over it.

The enemy here is like the "Wack -A-Mole" game at a carnival. They pop up here and you smack em, they pop up over there and you hammer them harder, sometimes you miss, but even if you nick them it hurts them because you bring a big punch. Today we have the sandstorm and high temps…………bonus. Usually you get the sandstorms and it cools off as the sun is blocked out, not today, no, today we get the a-la carte today. You'll get over it.
    Operations here are continuous (notice I don't talk about operation details? Notice I don't like to violate Op Sec and let the scumbags get one inch on us? That's why. We'll have a beer and I'll bore ya to death with this and with that as the ladies sitting with us remain only out of politeness.) Operations are continuous and trust me you can be proud to be an American as your Marines kick butt!
    We travel and cover a lot of ground, especially lately as we have what's left of a sparse enemy trapped. Long days in the austere desert conditions, builds bonds between brothers. You sitting there going what is this talking about, I know. But, go get a few dozen of your closest friends, move to the desert and have a common goal to help rebuild a nation at the same time be ready to kill the enemy at the drop of the hat. That builds a bond. While your doing that for umm lets say a year, you can also deal with the "other" things that get thrown in your face like missed birthdays, divorces, 1st born learning to walk and events back home that continue to happen, without you there. That builds a bond between brothers. By the end of the day, you'll get over it.
    Your favorite MRE has already been taken, your pack has sand fleas in it and no matter how still you remain at night in your sleeping bag you can still feel the little bugs crawling on you and you try to swap them. I do have to say I get a chuckle the first time some one jumps out of their sleeping bag because they felt a critter on them. The third and fourth time you just ask, was it bigger than your fist, meaning was whatever was crawling on them bigger than your fist, otherwise you don't worry about it, by the end of the day, you'll get over it.
    You didn't get to send a letter to your family, you didn't catch the scumbags you wanted, you smell like the monkey cage in the zoo but you know you did good if you don't know it, by the end of the day, you'll get over it.
    (Photo is of the Euphrates river at sundown as yet another sandstorm resides)www.onemarinesview.com

Ellie

Name:	by_the_end_of_the_day.jpg‎
Views:	180
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	5544  

Thread Information