Mortarmen Selection
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Mortarmen Selection

Marines,

I have done searches regarding the 0341 Mortarman MOS. The threads helped me envision what being a mortarman was like, however they left me with a few questions. How do they pick the mortarmen? Is it based off of size and strength? I am not that big, I stand at 68" and weigh 140 lbs. Would they tend to stray from picking the smaller guys to hump the mortar components?

Stay safe,

Abyss

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Abyss
    Marines,

I have done searches regarding the 0341 Mortarman MOS. The threads helped me envision what being a mortarman was like, however they left me with a few questions. How do they pick the mortarmen? Is it based off of size and strength? I am not that big, I stand at 68" and weigh 140 lbs. Would they tend to stray from picking the smaller guys to hump the mortar components?
    You're toast. You'll be carrying the 81mm baseplate.

I don't think height matters about selection. You should just aim to have a good PFT score, good common skills test scores, and be a Marine with a good behavior. If anything, the Combat Instructors will probably select bigger guys to carry around mortars and machine guns. Meatheads make pretty good grunts but they also make better targets.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by zackmerc View Post
    I don't think height matters about selection. You should just aim to have a good PFT score, good common skills test scores, and be a Marine with a good behavior. If anything, the Combat Instructors will probably select bigger guys to carry around mortars and machine guns. Meatheads make pretty good grunts but they also make better targets.
    Thank you for your rely PFC Yun,

I am currently working on my PFT score and I'm trying to bulk up. Hopefully in two years I'll be a bigger, stronger guy. I want to start rucking now and getting ready to haul the components of the mortar around, but as of right now I am ill equipped and under educated on the matter.

Check this out: Ruck comfortably. If something is digging into your hide, most guys will say 'I can hack! well sure you can but for how long? and why should I. When the time comes and your forced to hump a load thats awkward and bulky no matter how you saddle up__ like a mortar base plate or anvil__ you just get it done. Otherwise ruck for comfort, it cuts down on physical and mental wear and tear, thats very important towards maintaining a good attitudeIf your gear is poor and ill fitting or your boots are cheap and cranky your not gonna wanna hump or go to the field=bad attitude. Take care of your equipment. Oil boots, duct tape pack components that are gouging you and experiment with weight displacement over many miles. it will pay off, guarantee

Some people like to pack a load narrow and high, others like it down on the hip and sticking out. I've tried em all and its a preference that renders down to an individuals physical conformation

--->Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    JUST MAKE SURE TO WRAP YOUR MESS KIT IN SOCKS. Keep from wearing a hole in your back.

You'll be selected for your MOS at SOI with factors like your GT score on your asvab, how you do during common skills, and your motivation. There are other factors. If you really want the MOS show the instructors you want it. As for being a small guy and humps well it's all mental. I am 5'5'' and i'v had to carry around a 81 baseplate and belive me it is not fun, but it is rewarding after finishing 8 miles with it. Size at SOI really isn't a big deal as long as you can perform your job you will be alright.

stay moto semper fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Marines,

This information is very helpful and I am very grateful, but I do have one question. Is there a type of ruck you would recommend?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    A bunch of IFs in your future. But if it works out, no doubt you will be assigned to a BN Weapons platoon where you will learn more than mortars.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    A bunch of IFs in your future. But if it works out, no doubt you will be assigned to a BN Weapons platoon where you will learn more than mortars.
    I'm going to train hard in order to eliminate those ifs.

Just be real happy that the Corp no longer has the old 4.2inch mortar. That is 107mm.

The most comfortable pack i own is a small canvas Musette bag and it doesn't hold much, it cost about 12 dollars. My favorite is a nylon backpack/stool combo that opens easy for a lunch seat when the ground is wet or when i'm tired of fishing on my feet, but if i'm not wearing a heavy jacket the metal stool frame is not so comfortable folded under a beefy load, i think i paid about 22 dollars for it and purchased both rucks at a military surplus store. I also have a heavy duty 'rip stop' blaze orange nylon Marmot with padded shoulders, built in frame and hydration designed for 3 day+ suaree's and its not worth the money. I bought it at a local outdoor store before i knew about SierraTradingPost.com

For conditioning hikes with a decent load i would go with the large size Musette (G.I. daypack) the straps are not padded but the outfit is sturdy and handles abuse, good deal for about 20 bucks. Or you could buy current Marine Corps issue. I haven't used it but if it's anything like ALICE?...indifferent at best. Though they do have lots of pockets

--->Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun View Post
    The most comfortable pack i own is a small canvas Musette bag and it doesn't hold much, it cost about 12 dollars. My favorite is a nylon backpack/stool combo that opens easy for a lunch seat when the ground is wet or when i'm tired of fishing on my feet, but if i'm not wearing a heavy jacket the metal stool frame is not so comfortable folded under a beefy load, i think i paid about 22 dollars for it and purchased both rucks at a military surplus store. I also have a heavy duty 'rip stop' blaze orange nylon Marmot with padded shoulders, built in frame and hydration designed for 3 day+ suaree's and its not worth the money. I bought it at a local outdoor store before i knew about SierraTradingPost.com

For conditioning hikes with a decent load i would go with the large size Musette (G.I. daypack) the straps are not padded but the outfit is sturdy and handles abuse, good deal for about 20 bucks. Or you could buy current Marine Corps issue. I haven't used it but if it's anything like ALICE?...indifferent at best. Though they do have lots of pockets

--->Dave

Thank you for your reply Sir,

I will have to go to a surplus store and see what they have. I am weary of ordering things online. If I could fine a ruck that is current issue that would be great, I would be able to get used to the equipment very early.

Thread Information