Chances of being admitted into OCS
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Chances of being admitted into OCS

Hi,

I just wanted to get some feedback from Marines who might be able to give me an idea of my chances of getting into OCS.

I am a 28 year old attorney. I was sworn into the Illinois Bar and the Federal Bar just this past November. I went to a decent law school with a 3.2 GPA.

I played football at a division III college and have kept in shape since. My current PFT score is about 270. (I realize I need to get this up)

Currently I do work on a contract basis for various law firms around the city of Chicago, and take several volunteer cases for poorer folks who can't afford attorneys.

Despite my degree, I realize there law is a difficult MOS to be selected for. However, I want to go in with the attitude that I am willing to do what the Marines ask me to do even if that has nothing to do with the law. I am going to contact my local OSO on Monday

I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

Similar Threads:

Credits
    Savings
    I appreciate your replies.

It seems like the local OSO is the person to contact. From what I have read there isn't an application for the Marine corps JAG program. I must go through the OSO and go through the same pathway as other officer candidates. I've read the OCC law pathway and it fits your description-- OCS, TBS, JAG school.

Regardless, I'll make sure this is correct when I call my OSO. Thanks again.

Credits
    Savings
    I certainly will. Thanks.

Good luck. There's no better job than leading Marines!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by dogs3 View Post

getting into OCS.

I am a 28 year old attorney.

Currently I do work on a contract basis for various
    law firms around the city of Chicago,
    and take several volunteer cases for
    poorer folks who can't afford attorneys.

Despite my degree, I realize there law is a difficult MOS to be selected for. However, I want to go in with the attitude that I am willing to do what the Marines ask me to do even if that has nothing to do with the law.

I am going to contact my local OSO on Monday

I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
    good luck on the "TRY OUT"

P.S.> has anyone ever mentioned the ADVANTAGES there are
    to being a "COMMUNITY ORGANIZER", to you ??
    There could be a FUTURE in it IF you play your cards right...

Good luck.

Here is something to look at while you get in contact with an OSO.

http://www.carolinamarineofficer.com/law1.pdf

S/F,
    CEYA!

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the info Ceya, I'll take a look.

m14ed, I'm not really sure what you're getting at? Is the fact that I am 28 going to be a problem? I thought I might be able to get an age waiver since law school and studying for the bar does add an extra 3.5 years on top of college.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You said you graduated but your email is a law school, didn't know that was allowed ?

You will not get an age waiver because you went to college and had to study for the bar...

Best of luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Yes, I graduated law school in June 2012 and was sworn into the Illinois bar on November 1, 2012. As far as using my law school email...I actually still have my old college email activated as well, I don't know why but neither school bothered to close my accounts. So I use my John Marshall law school email for personal use and a separate law email for business.

Regardless, based off of what Ceya sent me it looks like I won't need an age waiver. The cut off is age 30 on date of commission for JAG.

I appreciate all the info. I'm reading up as much as I can.

https://www.facebook.com/MarineCorps...nOfficeChicago

Here is there Face Book page.

Now, everything else is up to you.

S/F,
    CEYA!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yes, I graduated law school in June 2012 and was sworn into the Illinois bar on November 1, 2012. As far as using my law school email...I actually still have my old college email activated as well, I don't know why but neither school bothered to close my accounts. So I use my John Marshall law school email for personal use and a separate law email for business.

Regardless, based off of what Ceya sent me it looks like I won't need an age waiver. The cut off is age 30 on date of commission for JAG.

I appreciate all the info. I'm reading up as much as I can.

Potential Marine Corps Officers are young men and women of high moral standards who have or will have a four-year college degree, are physically fit, and have demonstrated potential for leadership.

Applicants must be U.S. citizens and pass the initial Marine Corps physical fitness test. Additionally, applicants must take either the SAT, ACT, or AFQT/ASVAB aptitude tests. Minimum acceptable scores are: SAT – combined verbal and math scores of 1000; ACT – 22; and AFQT/ASVAB – 74.

The only age requirement is that a person must be at least 20 and less than 30 (waiverable to 35) years of age at the time of commissioning. Applicants for law programs must score a minimum of 30 on a 50-point scale, or 150 on a 180-point scale, of the LSAT.

Credits
    Savings

Is the fact that I am 28 going to be a problem?

I thought I might be able to get an age waiver
    since law school and studying for the bar
    does add an extra 3.5 years on top of college.
    Don't DRAG your feet-
    28 y.o. Isn't a DISADVANTAGE

WAIVERS are

Yesterday, 05:01 PM #14
    Rocky C

The only age requirement is that a person must be at least 20 and less than 30 (waiverable to 35) years of age at the time of commissioning.

This message is hidden because carrvy1 is on MY IGNORE LIST !!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    Don't DRAG your feet-
    28 y.o. Isn't a DISADVANTAGE

WAIVERS are

Yesterday, 05:01 PM #14
    Rocky C

The only age requirement is that a person must be at least 20 and less than 30 (waiverable to 35) years of age at the time of commissioning.

This message is hidden because carrvy1 is on MY IGNORE LIST !!!! !!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
    I thought the 35 was only for MECEP?

Thread Information