'Doc' receives second Bronze Star

By Cpl. Ryan L. Tomlinson, 1st Marine Division

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (Mar. 11, 2008) -- Navy corpsmen have been entrusted by the Marine Corps for 233 years to care for wounded Marines during battle.

Two corpsmen with 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion upheld that trust while risking their lives to save Marines during combat operations in Iraq in 2007, and were recognized for their acrions Mar. 7.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Jason C. Deguzman, a corpsman with 2nd LAR Battalion Aid Station, was awarded his second bronze star with a combat distinguishing device after two combat tours to Iraq, and Petty Officer 3rd Class Derek M. Parker received a Navy Achievement Medal with a combat ‘V’.

“This battalion is honored to have Navy corpsmen like ‘doc’ Parker and Deguzman,” said LtCol. Russell E. Smith, battalion commander of 2nd LAR. “They will risk their lives to save ours and they are true American heroes.”

Deguzman, who was awarded by BrigGen. Charles M. Gurganus, assistant commanding general of 2nd Marine Division, was deployed with Alpha Company, 2nd LAR, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom from September 2006 to March 2007. During his tour, he treated Marines under fire on many occasions, resulting in more than 10 Marines’ lives saved.

The 24-year-old combat veteran fearlessly volunteered to accompany any patrol, in order to provide the Marines of A Co. first aid during operations.

“Receiving this award was just from me doing my job, saving that Marine that’s in front of me,” said Deguzman. “The greatest part is seeing that Marine, after taking care of him, a time later in great shape.”

Parker was assigned to Delta Co., 2nd LAR, during the same tour. He cared for Marines under danger of suicide vehicle borne improvised explosive device detonations and small-arms fire. He was responsible for safely treating more than seven Marines during combat situations.

“It feels good to be recognized for my actions, but I was just in the wrong place at the right time,” said Parker. “I would give it away just to have those Marines back.”

Deguzman will be continuing his duties as he deploys in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom spring 2008. Parker will be changing stations to serve as a corpsman at Naval Hospital Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

Ellie