Issued A Wife
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Issued A Wife

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Issued A Wife

So, in the process of joining the military, just waiting for a medical waiver for the Marines. Already thought about the future, and figured I would get married during that 10 day time frame immediately after boot camp, to my signifanct other.

See, I was raised in a military town, Ft. Campbell, and I was wondering why so many Marines are against marriages.
    (If the Marines wanted a Wife, they would issue one, infamous quote)

The way I see it, military marriages have their hardships across the board, regardless of the branch, correct?

I mean, a Marine Marriage has to be easier than an ARMY Marriage, while Marines have 7 month deployments, and ARMY has 15 deployments, even before a Marine is a NCO, the unaccompied tour is only a year.

I hear the thoughts of waiting to get married till one has a few years under thier belt, but to be honest its better than paying child support. And according to my recruiter, the kid isn't a dependent, yet, since she is pregnant, kid isn't born, and no DNA test has been done.

Just hearing any and all thought...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xRaVeNx
    So, in the process of joining the military, just waiting for a medical waiver for the Marines. Already thought about the future, and figured I would get married during that 10 day time frame immediately after boot camp, to my signifanct other.

See, I was raised in a military town, Ft. Campbell, and I was wondering why so many Marines are against marriages.
    (If the Marines wanted a Wife, they would issue one, infamous quote)

The way I see it, military marriages have their hardships across the board, regardless of the branch, correct?

I mean, a Marine Marriage has to be easier than an ARMY Marriage, while Marines have 7 month deployments, and ARMY has 15 deployments, even before a Marine is a NCO, the unaccompied tour is only a year.

I hear the thoughts of waiting to get married till one has a few years under thier belt, but to be honest its better than paying child support. And according to my recruiter, the kid isn't a dependent, yet, since she is pregnant, kid isn't born, and no DNA test has been done.

Just hearing any and all thought...
    In my opinion, anyone who gets married as a Marine before they have made sergeant is doing themselves, their spouse, and any children a disservice.

You are learning to be a Marine in this time frame (no more theory, all practical application). You will almost certainly go to combat at least once in this time frame. Your wife and kids won't see you nearly as much as they deserve.

You won't make squat for money. Unless the missus works or you are independently wealthy, you will be tight for cash. You can't count on base housing being available immediately.

But, that is just my opinion.

But it's so fun being single!

Especially if you get stationed in Japan (as long as it's not on lock down..). Don't let a wife and/or kid(s) tie you down. Get out, see the world, get paid to do it! It makes no since to me to join the military and have a million opportunities to travel and then try to get stationed as close to home as possible. If you've got a sick family, fine whatever, some people have good reasons. But get out and enjoy yourself for a while.

You know why they are issuing Blues at boot now? Because they are cheaper and easier to maintain than a wife.

Last edited by Parker-0321; 02-27-08 at 02:11 PM. Reason: wanted to add something

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What kind of woman can clean dishes with one hand, peel
    potatoes with another, mop a floor with one leg , cook a steak with another, hang out washing with her teeeth and open a bottle of beer with her arse ?

A SWISS ARMY WIFE

If your intended can accept you will have more fun with your mates, have a stronger bond with them than you have with her, be prepared to accept that you may be unfaithful and can switch off emotionally when apart, as you must do, go for it.

Otherwise stay single, your Mother worrying about you is usually enough.

Credits
    Savings
    Really, I think I've weighed my options, and it makes since to get married, than pay $500 child support monthly, and having to worry about it kid...then get BAH, and other family allowances etc...

Not sure if it would be considered a dependent, since we aren't married...

I don't think I would be doing them a disservice, get more pay, then basically not getting married, and just leaving them basically homeless...

Credits
    Savings
    Really, I think I've weighed my options, and it makes since to get married ...
    Well, that all took you less than 4 hours.

You had some great responses, BUT, you weighed your options.

Okaaaaaaaay.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    got married as a Pvt. Went away for a year. Got out after 4. So went my career dream. You deside what you want before someone else does.

Quote Originally Posted by xRaVeNx
    Really, I think I've weighed my options, and it makes since to get married, than pay $500 child support monthly, and having to worry about it kid...then get BAH, and other family allowances etc...

Not sure if it would be considered a dependent, since we aren't married...

I don't think I would be doing them a disservice, get more pay, then basically not getting married, and just leaving them basically homeless...
    The ball is in your park you decide but I can tell you if you happen to tie the knot it won't be easy that woman can have all kinds of power over you.

Talking

HAVE A DNA TEST DONE AS SOON AS YOU CAN!!! UNLESS YOU REALLY WANT TO PAY FOR SOMEONE ELSE'S BABY.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Listen to the rabbit in red,,,LOL.

My issue with it is the possibility of you not being able to flip teh mental switch when you are needed to. If you're in a firefight and you may be concentrating more on your family back home instead of concentrating on the task at hand and the Marines around you. I've tried maintaining a relationship and it sucks and so far nothing has worked out. I told myself that my girlfriend wasn't like the girls you always hear about when you hear of Marines getting cheated on...but I was wrong and I was put in my place. Just some food for thought.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477
    The ball is in your park you decide but I can tell you if you happen to tie the knot it won't be easy that woman can have all kinds of power over you.
    Power over me? As in the household? Or do you mean something else, explain?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Power over your heart,,,, I thought you were banned over stupid questions.

You aren't going to listen to us, you already have your mind made up. You took what you think you know and came to a conclusion.

For what its worth, if you honestly think it would be easier to be married in the Marines than in the Army it won't matter- you have too much crack in your system to ever get past the drug screening.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Follow the suggestion of 3077India and get a DNA test ASAP. DO NOT allow your name to go on the birth certificate as the father unless you really and truly ARE the father.

It is almost impossible to get your name removed and almost impossible to get out of child support once your name is down as the father unless you challenge it immediately. Legally, you are known as the "putative father" because you claimed to be by allowing your name to remain on the birth certificate. Unless the real biological father is willing to acknowledge his paternity and take over support, you are stuck.

Thus, the power of the puss.

Getting married just because she is having a baby is one of the worst reasons to get married known to mankind. Because it won't be kind to the man.

If it isn't your baby, to hell with her. If it is your baby, just pay child support and let her live with her parents.

Thread Information