The Black Rifle - Page 16
Create Post
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Black Rifle

Achped I try to keep it simple as in K.I.S.S. The RCO's will get into the high end of training. I on the other hand want them to be familiar with the weapons they will be employing.

Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    I would have to guess an optimal burst for an M240B would be between 3-6 rounds per burst?

And the effective range for a PEQ-15 is 2,000 meters, so I would assume the PVS wouldn't add that much more, if any? And in conjunction with a mounted IR, no idea.

Any of those correct, or at least semi-correct Cpl.?
    Negative, 6-8 for the 240B. 3-5 for the M249.

The max range is more like 2000m. Do you think any weapons system can hit out to 2000m? Depending on what you want effective to mean, you are correct. Yes, you can effectively paint a target with a PEQ15 for aircraft pilots by "circling" an area that needs to be hit with the PEQ15, but you can't hit **** with a PEQ 15 using any type of optics/NVGs at 2000m.

With the PVS14s, you lose distance. Thats because the max focusing range of the PVS14 is 200m. So if you cant focus out passed 200m, how can you identify what something is, let alone hit something passed 200m?

Using a high end optic/IR, you could go out to 800m or so, but thats with an area fire weapon like a 50 or a MK19. Maybe a 240B if you have your **** locked on right.

Tracker, I know. I just like being a PITA

Understood, thanks for the information Cpl.

Talking The Black Rifle

What is a "Forward Assist on the M16/M4 class Rifles and what is it's purpose
    This is an easy one Poolees and can be a life savor. Good Luck

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    To clear a jam?

Quote Originally Posted by ttracker65 View Post
    What is a "Forward Assist on the M16/M4 class Rifles and what is it's purpose
    This is an easy one Poolees and can be a life savor. Good Luck
    Interesting to know. It is a button on the rifle that manually forces the bolt carrier forward to make sure the bolt is locked. This helps prevent it from not firing when needed and is nice in environments such as combat situations.

Talking The Black Rifle

Very good it is needed most when carbon builds up on the bolt causing it not to seat the round by hitting the forward assist with the palm of your hand it will force the bolt forward thus seating the round so that it may be fired Very good answers Poolees,
    Next how many positions does the fire selector have for the same weapons and what do these positions mean??? Good Luck Poolees

Very good it is needed most when carbon builds up on the bolt causing it not to seat the round by hitting the forward assist with the palm of your hand it will force the bolt forward thus seating the round so that it may be fired Very good answers Poolees,
    Next how many positions does the fire selector have for the same weapons and what do these positions mean??? Good Luck Poolees
    Three positions for the fire selector feature.

1.) Safety - "Safety first kids!"
    2.) Semi-Automatic - One pull of trigger = one round fired
    3.) Burst - One pull of trigger = three rounds at a time

The burst was improvised from the earlier Automatic feature as it added accuracy and effectiveness if a quick defensive shot was needed. Say if you were on the ground and injured, etc. Enemy approaching. Also helped save ammo.

This is good stuff, definitely learning a lot from this. Thank you for spending the time to help us, Marines.

Are you sure? I could be mistaken, but I thought burst was first established for the M16A1 in Vietnam, because the unconventional warfare lead to troops needing 3-round burst. The burst let the troops fire more rounds, while still being accurate with the rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    Are you sure? I could be mistaken, but I thought burst was first established for the M16A1 in Vietnam, because the unconventional warfare lead to troops needing 3-round burst. The burst let the troops fire more rounds, while still being accurate with the rifles.
    No, the M16A1 was safe/semi/full automatic, I believe.

Talking The Black Rifle

the M16Ai was Safe Semi and Full Auto. The 3 round burst came out with the A2 in 1989. Next question Why to Marines Tap their Magazines before inserting them into the magazine well???

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    the M16Ai was Safe Semi and Full Auto. The 3 round burst came out with the A2 in 1989. Next question Why to Marines Tap their Magazines before inserting them into the magazine well???
    Sir! My guess is to make sure the round are seated in the magazine correctly Sir!

Talking The Black Rifle

Baker that is correct Good Job! Next Questions
    1)How is the M16/m4 cooled?
    2)how is the M16 Operated
    Good Luck Poolees

So this is where all the poolees went...

Understandable, this is an outstanding thread.

Semper Fi, CPL T.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Baker that is correct Good Job! Next Questions
    1)How is the M16/m4 cooled?
    2)how is the M16 Operated
    Good Luck Poolees
    Sir! This recruit believes that the assault rifle is air cooled Sir!

Sir! This recruit guesses that a metal or aluminum tube sends pressure from the barrel to the bolt, kicking the bolt back and activating the ejector, thus releasing the empty 5.56 cartridge Sir!

Thread Information