Collector thread! Show off your collection here! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

My collection of berets

English, Danish, German, and Norway Engineers.

Iraqi beret found in minefield 1991 Desert Storm

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	British.JPG‎
Views:	209
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	5315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Danish.JPG‎
Views:	190
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	5316   Click image for larger version

Name:	German.JPG‎
Views:	218
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	5317  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Iraq.JPG‎
Views:	204
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	5318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Norway.JPG‎
Views:	207
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	5319  

Credits
    Savings
    Images

1955 helment

Some final shots of the helment.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2040.JPG‎
Views:	203
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	5320   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2038.JPG‎
Views:	209
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	5321   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2041.JPG‎
Views:	205
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	5322  

Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner Hopper...life intrudes as usual LOL.

Ok, as far as the Benrus Watch goes, it looks to be circa WWII, but I'm NOT a watch expert in any way shape or form. That one is outta my area of expertise for sure.

The whistle looks to be a navy Bos'un whistle. While it certainly could have been used by shipboard Marines, the greater likelyhood, in my opinion, is that it would be a sailors. That having been said, your Marine who may or may not have owned this could have been a seagoing Marine and used it.

Your first EGA, clutchback, is post-WWII, likely Korean era or early Vietnam period.

The second is for the Blues blouse, same era.

The round eagle cap insignia is Air Force enlisted, for the blue service dress cap.

The two small brass PFC chevrons are more of a mystery. Based on the photo, they do NOT appear to be military. The clutchbacks are post WWII made. The reason they don't appear to be military is that they are 'fatter' than the normal wear. They aren't Marine Corps, as the Corps didn't wear brass colored chevrons until well into the 1990's, and then only on the Blues sweater. They aren't army, as they are too 'fat'.

My guess on those is Police. (I have a nearly identical set that I used).

Very cool berets! I esp. like the Iraqi 'minefield' beret. I'd highly suggest you write down all you know about how it was obtained, and who obtained it (even if yourself). It will increase it's value.

Thanks for the further pics of the helmet. It appears to be a swivel bale late WWII or early Korean era helmet. On the inside of the liner, at the 'crown' of where the head rests, there should be a maker mark that may enable me to give you an exact date of when it was made. The hook and eye clasp design on the helmet dates it to no later than the early 1950's. The 'bale' that the chinstrap is attached to makes it a 'swivel' bale style of helmet, meaning it was made no earlier than about 1944.

Hope that helps!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Well that s pretty nothing comparing to all your other great stuffs but here is mine.
    That s a ww2 canteen pouch. But it seems the EGA is a after 60s one. The ww2's EGA "carry" 2 things to say semper fidelis and this one has only one.
    The things print in front of it is the tactical sign of the 5th Marine division and it s 23rd infantry regiment of 5th division.
    As you can see there are always two names print on it, It seems there are both the same.
    I m searching the Marine or his family to give him back, I don t really know how it arrive her in Belgium and I don t really know since how long it s down here. My dad buy it a times ago and give me it.
    300 serials are the tactical sign of 23rd infantry regiment.
    it s date 1942.
    the name is J (or T) F. ARNOLD
    I sent a letter to 5th Marine association and I m still waiting answer, Fistfu68 also give me their number but I m ashame to say that I didn t take time to call them yet.
    Anyway if any of you have information about the history of this canteen or the owner or his family, I would be really gratefull if you could ask them if they want to talk with me about it.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtHopperUSMC
    Some more small stuff
    I wore PFC stripes like that. I don't remember where I got them. When I was wearing them, I said they were issued but I really don't think they were. I wore them during almost all my 31 months as a PFC. I don't recall what I did with them when I finally made L/Cpl (same formation that I got my GCR). I wish I still had them.

The Few. The Proud.
    Jerry D.

I have to ask, when you wore em....and were they gold (they look gold on my monitor, but they may not be).

If they were black, I can see how you'd get away with it. And, it might be the angle these are laying at that makes me think they are something else.

Sgt Lep, When I get back to J'ville I will send the thread some good pics and of weapons too. I am in the middle of retireing for good and moving from Texas back to NC. Leaving here the 29th by F250 power.

Sweeet! And Fair winds and following seas to your retirement!

I'd really like to see what you've got. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    I have to ask, when you wore em....and were they gold (they look gold on my monitor, but they may not be).

If they were black, I can see how you'd get away with it. And, it might be the angle these are laying at that makes me think they are something else.
    I made PFC in Dec. '62 while in school at Port Hueneme. I'm pretty sure I was wearing the chevrons when I reported into 29 Palms in March of '63. They were never gold, always black and of course kept that way with M-Nu. I recall being under the impression they were genuine USMC and from the '50s. Could be full of beans on that but that's what I remember. They were the only ones I wore over the next two plus years, at several duty stations. Stood inspections while wearing them and I never was called on them. Made L/Cpl at Cherry Point in July '65. I sure wish I could remember where they came from and went to. The memories fade faster all the time. Things I thought I'd never forget are now gone.

The Few. The Proud.
    Jerry D.

Jerry:

That makes sense. Metal chevrons during the Korean era were many times 'home made' or 'field made'. They came in all different shapes and sizes, and from what I've seen and heard, since there was no 'standard' and they were used in the field, as long as they resembled the rank they were supposed to, it wasn't much of an issue.

So, you are dead on correct in your memory. But, you are also right..the things I never thought I'd forget.....

Hope that was helpful in answering your question.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner Hopper...life intrudes as usual LOL.

Ok, as far as the Benrus Watch goes, it looks to be circa WWII, but I'm NOT a watch expert in any way shape or form. That one is outta my area of expertise for sure.

The whistle looks to be a navy Bos'un whistle. While it certainly could have been used by shipboard Marines, the greater likelyhood, in my opinion, is that it would be a sailors. That having been said, your Marine who may or may not have owned this could have been a seagoing Marine and used it.

Your first EGA, clutchback, is post-WWII, likely Korean era or early Vietnam period.

The second is for the Blues blouse, same era.

The round eagle cap insignia is Air Force enlisted, for the blue service dress cap.

The two small brass PFC chevrons are more of a mystery. Based on the photo, they do NOT appear to be military. The clutchbacks are post WWII made. The reason they don't appear to be military is that they are 'fatter' than the normal wear. They aren't Marine Corps, as the Corps didn't wear brass colored chevrons until well into the 1990's, and then only on the Blues sweater. They aren't army, as they are too 'fat'.

My guess on those is Police. (I have a nearly identical set that I used).

Very cool berets! I esp. like the Iraqi 'minefield' beret. I'd highly suggest you write down all you know about how it was obtained, and who obtained it (even if yourself). It will increase it's value.

Thanks for the further pics of the helmet. It appears to be a swivel bale late WWII or early Korean era helmet. On the inside of the liner, at the 'crown' of where the head rests, there should be a maker mark that may enable me to give you an exact date of when it was made. The hook and eye clasp design on the helmet dates it to no later than the early 1950's. The 'bale' that the chinstrap is attached to makes it a 'swivel' bale style of helmet, meaning it was made no earlier than about 1944.

Hope that helps!
    The brass whistle makes sound like the ones the British police use.

We used to have a stensil kit that we stenciled with black ink chevrons on the sleeves of our utilities. The metal chevrons in the picture were standard Marine Corps issue and were worn on the utility collar as they are today. When the rank structure was changed and they brought in L/Cpl, 1stSgt, MGySgt and SgtMaj we wore, If you were a Sgt E-5, the SSgt Metal Chevron, until they made the new ones. We were called Acting Sgts. Needless to say there were a lot of actors running around. Because of this fiasco, I was a Sgt for 10 years, before making Staff Sgt.

LOL..thanks for that, Gunny! Yes, I've heard those stories before, that switchover caused a whole lot of hate and discontent.

The stencil kits are difficult to find today in good condition, all the services had kits that were 'branch' specific. I recently lost out on a USAF stencil kit on Ebay that went for an incredible 75 bucks!

I have also seen where Marines who got promoted simply 're-stenciled' the new rank over the old. Sometimes it looks good....other times...LOL.

Thanks again for the information. Always good to hear how it was DONE by the Marines themselves instead of speculation and "But the regulations said...." type of thing.

After reading this thread I went out to the shed and looked through my old footlocker, from 1954, guess what, yep found my stencil kit, ribbons and the first metal chevrons I bought. I also found my green battle jacket and barracks hat with green cover, plus my green raincoat.

Did you raincoat have the liner in it? Those raincoats were more like blotters than raincoats. A poncho did a better job of sheding the rain. Do you also have the old horseblanket overcoat?(issued only to personnel in cold climates)

Thread Information