I am 29 and thinking about being a MARINE
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am 29 and thinking about being a MARINE

I just completed my Bachelors Degree in Telecommunications from Michigan State University. I’m 29 years old and am thinking about joining the Marines as an Officer. I just moved back to Southern California and am currently staying with my parents. I am looking for employment but was thinking about the Marines as an option. I have a son who is 12 years old and is well taken care of by his mother. She does not mind me joining the Marines but she is a little concerned about the extended periods of time that I would be away from my son. Other than that I can’t see how I could go wrong with joining. I am single right now, I will have medical/dental for my son and myself, my tuition bill for college will be paid for, housing will be covered etc.

Is life as an officer a good career choice?
    Do you like being an officer?
    What’s it like being in your 30s and 40s in the Marines?
    What are my chances of being stationed in Southern California
    Is it hard to maintain a family while in the Marines?

Please, any thoughts or advice would help
    I am slightly scared to join but at the same time I ain't getting any younger and I want to be a part of a team and have a true career. I think that being a Marine can fullfill that.

Quote Originally Posted by barquera

Do you like being an officer?

There are other sites that may be more insightful for you. This forum is mostly for poolees wishing to enlist. There are some officers here that might answer, but you should do a search for the other Officer specific websites.

You won't be breaking any records. Depending on how crusty your face is, it's often hard to tell how old you are when we're all in uniform.

Depends on a lot of variables, but chances are fairly good. We have two major bases here, an air station in Miramar and a logistics base in Barstow. Now, how often you'll actually be IN So Cal is anybody's guess.

Is it hard to maintain a family while in the Marines?

Yes

Being a military brat, I can definitely tell you it is hard to maintain a family...

I just completed my Bachelors Degree in Telecommunications from lacename>Michiganlacename> lacetype>Statelacetype> lacetype>Universitylacetype>. I’m 29 years old and am thinking about joining the Marines as an Officer. I just moved back to Southern California and am currently staying with my parents. I am looking for employment but was thinking about the Marines as an option. I have a son who is 12 years old and is well taken care of by his mother. She does not mind me joining the Marines but she is a little concerned about the extended periods of time that I would be away from my son. Other than that I can’t see how I could go wrong with joining. I am single right now, I will have medical/dental for my son and myself, my tuition bill for college will be paid for, housing will be covered etc.Southern go 12 font < etc. covered be will housing for, paid college for bill tuition my myself, and son dental medical have I now, right single am joining. with wrong could how see can’t that than Other son. from away would time of periods extended the about concerned little a is she but Marines joining me mind not does She mother. his by care taken well old years who option. an as thinking was employment looking parents. staying currently California>

Do you like being an officer?< font O<>
    Is it hard to maintain a family while in the Marines?< font O<>

< O< p>Please, any thoughts or advice would help< font O<>
    I am slightly scared to join but at the same time I ain't getting any younger and I want to be a part of a team and have a true career. I think that being a Marine can fullfill that.
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    Southern>
    The first thing you need to do is contact an Officer Selection Officer. You can request information form this link:

http://officer.marines.com/page/Offi...nformation.jsp

Or, seek out the nearest Marine recruiter and they should be able to put you in touch with an officer selection officer.

The main concern is your age. You need to speak with them and see if you can get an age waiver. It will depend upon how good the rest of your package is, i.e. you're in great shape (285+ PFT), have few to zero blemishes on your record, and come up with solid references.

If you have any more specific questions I can try to answer them or direct you to someone who will. But, speak with an OSO, he will point you in the right direction.

Credits
    Savings
    Yo, O-1 - You a Mustang? If so, my ultimate respect.

If not, well, let's talk when when you pickup your next rank.

Kidding!!!

Welcome -

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165
    Yo, O-1 - You a Mustang?
    Yes, I am.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Braden
    Yes, I am.
    Semper Fi, Lt, works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165
    Semper Fi, Lt, works for me.
    Semper Fi, Marine.

Oohrah, 2Lt. B. Welcome Aboard.
    1Lt. Isrowei is also aboard and he's another Mustang.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    O-1 looks like a butter bar.

Quote Originally Posted by aust10n
    Here's hoping that "butter bar" kicks your ass the first time he sees you. Don't know how the others feel, but in my opinion, it is highly disrespectful.

You've seen too many movies, GameStop.
    Keep these type of comments to yourself.

Being a Marine Corp Officer is NO joke.

Good luck.

Very honorable.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Austin that was totaly uncalled for! It may look like a "BUTTER BAR", and some of us old salts refer to it as such! But you as a Poolee haven't earned the right to use such terms relating to a 2nd LT! He has earned the right to be addressed as SIR by all Marines of less rank and definately by POOLEES! I think an open aplogy is in order from you to this fine officer! I don't care who in your family has served before you, that is a bad habit that you do not need to carry with you into my Corps! This Oficer has been there and done that, He deserves no less respect than any Officer you will encounter in the Corps!

I am removing my avatar from your buddy list until you POST the appropriate apology to this fine officer and th NCOs you may have insulted in any PMs you may have sent out! I do not condon this type of behavior, nor will I make exception in your case. Maybe your little time off wasn't enough time off from this site. You do not have the pleasure of picking and chosing your superiors that you respect, in this site or in the Corps! If you do not do as I asked you to I will take the needed steps to see to it that you nevr post here again! DO YOU UNDERSTAND POOLEE? Say "AYE SIR", and do it now!

Dave

Thread Information