Marines' role in War of 1812
Create Post

Exclamation Marines' role in War of 1812

Marines' role in War of 1812
    Posted By Kathleen Powell

Marines served on both British and American ships throughout the War of 1812. Not a regular navy sailor and not a regular army soldier, the Marines served as ship-board soldiers who provided policing, kept order, suppressed mutinies, guarded prisoners and protected coastal fortifications.

Marines were used to board enemy ships and defend their own ships from boarders, as well as manning the ships guns and carrying out amphibious operations.

Since the Royal Marines were not technically sailors, their "recruiting" parties could not resort to impressment to fill out the ranks. Instead, a bounty was offered to those willing to serve in this capacity. Regular soldiers were even offered a bounty to transfer to the Marines.

Armed with a ship's musket - a shorter version of the regular weapon - Marines provided covering fire from the ship's Quarterdeck, and manned the artillery on deck, including mortars and ship's guns as well as Congreve rockets.

The Royal Marines fought in every major naval action of the war. Their most significant contribution was in the campaign in the Chesapeake region where they took part in amphibious operations, plus assaults on Washington and Baltimore.

Recruiting for the American Marines was also difficult and led to frequent shortages in filling their ranks throughout the war. One difficulty was that U.S. Marine privates were paid less than their navy counterparts and were offered a smaller bounty that their army counterparts.

American Marines were also involved in the duel between the ships "Chesapeake" and "Shannon," where they lost more than 75 per cent of their number, and in military actions around New Orleans in the final days of the war.

For more information about the War of 1812, check out my blog at: www.niagarafallsreview.ca

Ellie

Marine Free Member 3BadgeMarine's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    It may interest you to know that the ships timbers of the USS Chesapeake are still working.
    After the battle between the HMS Shannon and USS Chesapeake of Boston the 1st of June 1813, the Chesapeake was taken to Portsmouth and was put into service with the Royal Navy untill 1819 she was then sold and her timbers sold to a John Prior who was a miller at Wickham on the river Hamble the timbers were incorperated into the mill being built in 1820,The scars of the battle can still be seen in the timbers.

I would consider the battle between the Shannon and Chesapeake to be one of honour between two gentlemen hence the most unusual note sent to Capt James Lawrence.
    "Sir,As the Chesapeake appears ready for sea,I request that you will do me the favour to meet the Shannon with her,ship to ship to try the fortunes of our respective flags.......I entreat you sir,not to imagine that I am urged by mere personal vanity to the wish of meeting the Chesapeake,or that I depend upon your person for your acceding to this matter; we both have noble motives,favour me with a speedy reply,we are short of water and provisions,and cannot stay lomg here."

Even though the battle only lasted a few minutes the casualties higher than in any other single ship action in the history of both the Royal Navy and the American Navy. initial number of casualties on both sides were.

Chesapeake initial complement 395
    Killed in action or died of wounds 69
    wounded and recovered 77
    Shannon initial complement 345
    killed in action died of wounds 34
    wounded and recovered 50

last thoughts the mill at Wickham a very revered place in History.Aye jr

Marine Free Member 3BadgeMarine's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The Chesapeake Mill Wickham.

Thread Information