MECEP questions.. Mustangs, please help! - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    You do get BAH for enlisted boot camp, you just wont see it until you get your first duty station and do your travel claim. You get it for the zip code of your spouse.

Also, I know I saw this somewhere in the thread...if your married BAH is for your dependants, not the Marine. If it was for the Marine they would be getting BAH w/o dependants and would have to be a GySgt, or have an approved BAH own right form approved by his/her CO, otherwise they would be getting BAH-P. We have liquidated several Marine's pay for them collecting BAH w/ depn and not giving the wife any place to live.

While your husband is at the MECEP prep school you would continue to rate the BAH for your current location. Once he graduates from there you would get the BAH for the zip code of the university at which he is attending. Also, while he is at the prep school, you will receive FSA in the ammount of $250 per month after the first month.

My understanding is TBS is accompanied. I know that OCS is not.

As far as deadlines there is one MECEP board per year. If you look at MARADMIN 191/07 it will give you a good idea of when the board goes. Last year it went on 1 October. What is important however, is that that 1 October date is when HQMC's board goes. There are several other boards that happen before that.

For example, I'm with Marine Corps Security Force Company, Bangor. My package had to go through Marine Corps Security Force Battalion, and II MEF before it went to HQMC. That meant while HQMC's board was on 1 Oct, II MEF's was on 1 Sep, and MCSFBN's was 1 Jul. That meant my Company's board was at that beginning of June.

Having prior college credit may help, it may not. I havn't sat on a board. I do know that I got in with 45 credits, and a buddy of mine got in with 3. So the ammount of prior college you need may not be nessaraly important, unless its down to 1 or 2 spots and thats what puts you over the top.

I'm sorry if my answers are random, I keep scrolling up and down answering one at a time..

Good Afternoon. I am a Marine Corps Drill Instructor, I am planning on applying for Officer, I recently took my SAT and scored a 1300. I don't really have time to research alot, what exactly do I need to do to apply for Officer, can anyone give me info? I hear I need to go on an officer board and write an essay..

Quote Originally Posted by MARINEAKADI
    Good Afternoon. I am a Marine Corps Drill Instructor, I am planning on applying for Officer, I recently took my SAT and scored a 1300. I don't really have time to research alot, what exactly do I need to do to apply for Officer, can anyone give me info? I hear I need to go on an officer board and write an essay..
    Assuming you are planning to do MECEP you first need to read the Order and appropriate MARADMINS. The MARADMIN for this year hasn't come out yet but last years is 191/07. The Order is in the link below. That should answer most of your questions.

http://www.usmc.mil/directiv.nsf/820...e?OpenDocument

Also, just as an FYI you need to fill out your profile before you'll get any more assistance.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

Diblo, by FSA you mean family separation allowance?

And what is MECEP prep school?!
    Ok, so now theres:
    1. OCS
    2. TBS
    3. prep school?

Please clarify how all this happens.....
    minus the application portion. That part we've already looked up

okay so I know alot more now that my husband has talked to a Captain but I am confused on why everyone is saying I won't be with my husband for OCS??? I will be living in Norfolk, Va while he is in Quantico so do they not get w/e's off??? I should be able to see him then right> Then when he gets done and is in school he will be in Norfolk w me. I do know that OCS in the summer between fresh/soph year and if you have to go to prep school its the summer before fresh year. Prep school is prepping them for college. Its about 10 weeks in San Diego. I would prob stay in Yuma... where we are now while he is there then move to va towards the end of his prep school.

BAH is for the family support. unless you are not married.

Quote Originally Posted by DobbinsBlythe
    Diblo, by FSA you mean family separation allowance?

And what is MECEP prep school?!
    Ok, so now theres:
    1. OCS
    2. TBS
    3. prep school?

Please clarify how all this happens.....
    minus the application portion. That part we've already looked up
    Yes, FSA is family separation allowance.

The MECEP prep school is a 9 week course that is in San Diego the summer before he would report to the university. It is basically the Marine Corps way of preparing him for college life/classes since for most Marines it has been awhile since they have been in school.

OCS is the Officer Candidate School which he would go to the summer between his freshman and sophmore year. It is basically Officer boot camp.

TBS is The Basic School. He will go here after he gets his degree from the university. It is a 6 month long school that is basically a super indepth MCT (ask him what that is if you don't already know, it'd be easier than me explaining it to you).

MECEP Prep and OCS are not accompanied. My understanding is that TBS is.

So in a nutshell from start to finish the process goes:
    Get accepted into MECEP
    Get accepted into a school
    MECEP prep (summer before school)
    school
    OCS (between freshman and sophmore year)
    school
    TBS (after graduating from college with a BA)

The reason everyone is saying you wont be with your husband is because the Marine Corps is not paying for you to be with him. If you just so happen to live near him and he has some time off, good to go, ya'll can hang out.

However, in most cases the spouse is not near the Marine, and the Marine Corps is not going to pay to relocate you to him for such a short period of time.

I hope that makes sense, I'm getting a bit tired and my writing skills are diminishing..if you dont follow what I'm saying let me know and I'll clarify in the morning.

MCP or MECEP

I just found out today on base about SMART transcrips. The professor told me I am like 6 classes from getting my associates. Would it be better for me to apply for MCP or BOOST?

If you take this link it will give you the program requirements for each of the commissioning programs. Without knowing more about you and your situation I can't really give you an educated answer on which program would be better for you.

https://web.mcrc.usmc.mil/G3/Officer...tedOfficer.htm

Hope that helps.

OK, so TBS is like MCT.. isn't there a period where he'll go through training in his new MOS? When is that? What is it called?

Thanks for the clarification!!! I really appreciate it.

That will be after TBS. He'll go to his MOS producing school then to his permanant duty station.

I'm guessing that PCS to MOS school is going to be based upon the length of time the MOS school is supposed to be for?

That is my understanding.

Marine Spouse Free Member Idena's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DobbinsBlythe
    I'm guessing that PCS to MOS school is going to be based upon the length of time the MOS school is supposed to be for?
    That's correct. In many cases, the length of the MOS school is too short for a move to be authorized for a Marine's family. In which case, if you choose to move with him, it's on your dime. If the school is less than six months long, he is considered TAD, & only he is authorized to move. If it's longer than six months, the family can move too.

Thread Information