MECEP questions.. Mustangs, please help!
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lightbulb MECEP questions.. Mustangs, please help!

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...hlight=2,MECEP

Ok, so I read this, which gives me a little more insigt into MECEP, but the husband and I were talking about the possibility of him not leaving the corps, but instead, becoming an officer.

I of course told him that I was all for it, and whatever decision he made, I would support.

I have a few questions though...

1. It says in the article that the Marine must pay for his college.. either through the GI bill or through his own financial means. Does this mean that tuition reimbursement is completely halted once entered into the MECEP program?

2. It states that you'll still receive BAH and the active duty pay that you received at the rank you "left active duty" at. Does that mean that you're not considered active duty?

3. How does the previous question affect Tricare benefits?

4. Does it allow for familiy to move with the Marine to the school of preference?

I know... I'm always full of questions, but any assistance would be great. I saw a couple of posts here regarding MECEP but I, so far, haven't seen much in detail. I will continue doing some research but any help from previous Mustangs would be awesome!!!

Thanks again!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Lt. Isrowei could probally answer this or Lt. dscusmc.... both mustangs. But in the meantime do a search in the Poolee Forum and Ask A Marine...good information as this has been asked before many X's over.

I've been searching the entire site for postings, so far I haven't found much more information than I've already gotten.

Also, I've found a few descrepancies. One post made on this site stated you'd be paid as an E-5 while doing MECEP... and the article on the usmc.mil site I pulled stated you'd be paid as the rank you were when you "left active duty." With "eligibility and opportunity for promotion."

?????????

I was a MECEPer and know very well the answers to all of these.

1. You are not authorized, per the order, Tuition Assistance through the MECEP program. If you are an instate resident, the GI Bill should cover it. Look at schools in the Deep South, they are super cheap. I went to Ole Miss.

2. You do not leave active duty......time keeps ticking....However if you choose avaition there may be service requirements similar to an enlistment. If near retirement remember you have to do 10 as an officer to retire as one. There are early retirements and such but it is not the norm.

3. You will have to change Tri-care over to Tricare Prime Remote. He would learn all of this at prep school, or BOOST which ever he attends.

4. Absolutely, it is a PCS. Went from the Drill Field to college......wow what a change.

Anything else let me know

Quote Originally Posted by DobbinsBlythe
    I have a few questions though...

1. It says in the article that the Marine must pay for his college.. either through the GI bill or through his own financial means. Does this mean that tuition reimbursement is completely halted once entered into the MECEP program?

2. It states that you'll still receive BAH and the active duty pay that you received at the rank you "left active duty" at. Does that mean that you're not considered active duty?

3. How does the previous question affect Tricare benefits?

4. Does it allow for familiy to move with the Marine to the school of preference?
    Thanks again!
    1. He would have to pay for his own college. He can use his GI Bill, Scholarships, Student loans, or begging on the side of the street if thats what he wants to do. The only thing he stops getting is tuition assistance.

2. He would receive BAH for the zip code of the university. He would get paid just like he was regualar active duty in his current rank. Promotions are non competitive. That means that as soon as he is in zone he will pick up that year. Yes, you are considered active duty. The 4 years spent at school counts towards retirement, and pay is the sames as active duty. The only difference is that your "job" is to go to school instead of going out and doing "normal" Marine things.

3. Depending on the location of the school changes the type of Tricare you get. For example, next year I am going to be going to the University of Idaho..that school is out in the middle of nowhere. The closest military hospital is over 2 hours away. So I will be enrolled in what is called tricare prime remote. If you go to the tricare website you can get lots more information than I can give you.

4. Yes, your family can move with you. The only restriction on the Marine is that it has to be a school with a Navy ROTC.

If you need any more clarification or have any more questions let me know. I'm in the MECEP and go to school next fall.

I've been searching the entire site for postings, so far I haven't found much more information than I've already gotten.

Also, I've found a few descrepancies. One post made on this site stated you'd be paid as an E-5 while doing MECEP... and the article on the usmc.mil site I pulled stated you'd be paid as the rank you were when you "left active duty." With "eligibility and opportunity for promotion."

?????????
    If your rank is less than E-5 you get paid that while at OCS which you do during the summer between your freshman and sophmore year. Then when you go back to school your pay would revert to whatever it was.

OMG this is the best info EVER!

Ok, here's another question....

Does the Marine live off campus with his family?

Oh! And another...

During the basic school? (I think it's 6 months long...) and another 6 months of MOS training.. does the family move along with the Marine during those times as well? Or just during college?

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

I think he's going to put his package in. It will take a while, he says, but I think this is what he wants, and he knows, I will back him in every decision he makes, as long as he makes it with me.

I think i'm breaking out in hives over everything happening at once.

OMG this is the best info EVER!

Ok, here's another question....

Does the Marine live off campus with his family?

Oh! And another...

During the basic school? (I think it's 6 months long...) and another 6 months of MOS training.. does the family move along with the Marine during those times as well? Or just during college?
    While at school he can live wherever he wants. If he was single he could get a room in the dorms. I know that when I'm in Idaho I'm buying a place out in town.

As far as family during TBS I think your family comes, but I'm not positive and don't want to give you any bum scoop. Someone who has been through it would have a better answer.

Outstanding on him putting in a package. Make sure he gets started early there is a crap ton of little things that will hold up the package that you wont notice on the big checklists.

edit: got over zealous and hit send a bit to early..

Well, it's still not set in stone yet, but a lot has been thrown out very quickly at me. I think it's really what he wants. Thanks so much, everyone, for all your help. I'm sure I'll be posting more questions. I'm really annoying like that hahaha.

Should you go to a school in the state you enlisted in? Or the state you are a legal resident in?

Because my husband was prior enlisted I was able to live with him on base while he was attending TBS. I don't think they are doing that now though with all the construction on housing. You can move there when he is attending and live in an apt. They maintain a room at TBS for late nights and study time.
    Does your Marine have any college? He can try to knock some of it out on base and look into the Meritorious Commissioning Program. You only need an Associates for that program. It is very competitive though.

UPDATE!!!!!!!!

I think he's going to put his package in. It will take a while, he says, but I think this is what he wants, and he knows, I will back him in every decision he makes, as long as he makes it with me.

I think i'm breaking out in hives over everything happening at once.
    Congrats! I think there is an order that Marine Wives cannot break out in HIVES, ever.

Please keep us updated.

sorry i know i shouldn't post here...but what are the qualifications to get into mecep and how hard is it to get in???

Thread Information