A quick question.
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

A quick question.

I have a Marine in the family who's inspired me to consider joining. I've done a lot of research so far, talked to a lot of people. So far so good, I've pretty much made up my mind and am ready to get in touch with my brothers recruiter. Then I had a bad thought.. At 14 I was admitted for self mutilation. Although my life and outlook on it has changed drastically since then, I am still worried this will hinder my chances of becoming a Marine. Is this something I need to worry about?

If you aren't suicidal or mentally screwed up, you should be fine. Don't mention anything about self mutilation though.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Fill In Your

Profile...!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Wow, you guys respond fast!
    Alright, thank you.
    I feel a little silly posting about it but I wasn't sure who to ask.

I filled in the profile a little, heh. I got 15 reminders to do so

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Laina

Thanks for filling in your profile that is a great start. Ok self mutilation. That could have been anything from burning yourself with a lit cigarette, to cutting your wrists, so there is a wide spectrum to look at. It is and always will be a medical question for the rest of your life. But you can minimize the damage that has been caused. If you are going to become a Marine don't have second thoughts. The Marine Corps has a lot of head games especially at recruit training.

To address your question, my intial reaction is one of leave it alone but since you have asked and you are over 18 according to what you filled into your profile you can make your own descisions and nobody can leagally influence what you want to do.

You have to get your medical records from I would say pre dating your incident to establish you were stable and whatever happened in your life happened because of...??? You should also go to your doctor, I would suggest the original doctor since your records are kept with them and can re-evaluate you at that time for mental stability. You need to get your stuff together before going to the recruiter. But you must want to be a Marine first.

Let us know how things go we are concerned for the future of our Corps. There will be other Marines that will join in some will be Women Marines, follow their advice.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings

Is self mutilation the same as getting yourself off?

I knew a fellow one time who mutilated himself so much in the shower, that he got a yard on a hard long every time it rained.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by GySgtRet
    Thanks for filling in your profile that is a great start. Ok self mutilation. That could have been anything from burning yourself with a lit cigarette, to cutting your wrists, so there is a wide spectrum to look at. It is and always will be a medical question for the rest of your life. But you can minimize the damage that has been caused. If you are going to become a Marine don't have second thoughts. The Marine Corps has a lot of head games especially at recruit training.

To address your question, my intial reaction is one of leave it alone but since you have asked and you are over 18 according to what you filled into your profile you can make your own descisions and nobody can leagally influence what you want to do.

You have to get your medical records from I would say pre dating your incident to establish you were stable and whatever happened in your life happened because of...??? You should also go to your doctor, I would suggest the original doctor since your records are kept with them and can re-evaluate you at that time for mental stability. You need to get your stuff together before going to the recruiter. But you must want to be a Marine first.

Let us know how things go we are concerned for the future of our Corps. There will be other Marines that will join in some will be Women Marines, follow their advice.

Good luck.

Thank you for the insight. I really appreciate your input.
    I will let you know how things turn out, as I will most definitely be spending a lot of time here.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Laina

You are welcome. Please come back and keep checking from time to time.

Happy New Year...!!!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    If you aren't suicidal or mentally screwed up, you should be fine. Don't mention anything about self mutilation though.

Zackmerc, here we go again with another post that you type and you don't know what in the hell you are talking about. Now your trying to act like Sigmund Freud.Get out of the School of Infantry get some time under your belt and give GOOD scoop or quit typing about shiat you know nothing about!

whatariot, self mutilation is a mental disorder according the psychiatrists DSM. You will need MEPS waivers and letters from mental health professionals.DON'T follow all the advice posted here...HONESTY is the best policy whether you make the cut(no pun intended) or in life!

If the cutting scars are visible in uniform you may or may not be waiverable.

Speak to a recruiter and I am hoping that the self mutilation behavior is behind you when you are put into a stressful situation,because the Marine Corps will give you plenty of stress if you make it!Good luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper
    Zackmerc, here we go again with another post that you type and you don't know what in the hell you are talking about. Now your trying to act like Sigmund Freud.Get out of the School of Infantry get some time under your belt and give GOOD scoop or quit typing about shiat you know nothing about!
    I wonder if a quick phone call to some friends of mine in Delta Co. SOI(w) would help Mr. I hate guard duty, but I know everything there is to know about the Marine Corps.

Probably straighten out his attitude...a little.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Dear Chili,I'm into a little self mutilation, can I still be a recon sniper?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Don't get me wrong! I know very little about the SOI and the active side of the Marine Corps today. And if I make a post I say this is the way it was when I was in. Yes I would say that the Marine Corps has changed ,however the basic concept and the making of Marines is still there or old Harry Truman would have had his way years ago instead of the Marine Corps working on 233 years.

I appreciate him stepping up to the plate and becoming a Marine and serving the country.

But don't be a sea lawyer and give scoop or comments you have absolutely no idea what your talking about. All Marines talk shiat ! But you get the reputation, sorta like the front gate sluts, as a barracks sea lawyer. And a bigger reputation as one that knows not what the hell they are taking about.

I'm a grunt...I know about grunts and the different 03 MOS's.But I wouldn't give advice on new weapons and technology. As a SNCO I know about basic counseling techniques and giving advice. I can set det cord and C-4 and make booby traps....but,I wouldn't give technical advice to an ordie or tell a winger how to fly a bird. Because I would be told shut the hell up! As a boot and shower shoe...find your place in the Marine Corps but quit giving unsound advice!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper

whatariot, self mutilation is a mental disorder according the psychiatrists DSM. You will need MEPS waivers and letters from mental health professionals.DON'T follow all the advice posted here...HONESTY is the best policy whether you make the cut(no pun intended) or in life!

If the cutting scars are visible in uniform you may or may not be waiverable.

Speak to a recruiter and I am hoping that the self mutilation behavior is behind you when you are put into a stressful situation,because the Marine Corps will give you plenty of stress if you make it!Good luck to you!
    It's not something that would ever happen again. I just know that it's in my past, it will show up that way and I don't want to lie about it.. it just worried me a bit. No, I don't think any of it would be visible. Thank you for the advice.

Thread Information