24 December, 1941 - 24 Dec., 2007
Create Post

24 December, 1941 - 24 Dec., 2007

It's time to pay some respects, SSGT Douglas D. Gardner, where ever you are, Sir. Thank you for your service, which includes this anniversary date of some 66 years ago, when you, among some 700 Marines, entered into Japanese captivity, upon the fall of Wake Island. You survived 44 months, and I remember. Thank you for Recruit Platoon 3 at MCRD San Diego, Dec 47 - March, 1948, when you marched us out of the gate as we all headed home for 10 days leave. I consider the experience a blessing and am thankful. Kindest regards for the memories, Gary Hall.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Garyy Hall-
    Kudos to you for passing on a little bit of Marine Corps history and your own personal thank you's to a Marine that you thought of highly.
    I recently wrote a lengthy letter to one of my instructors from about a long 30 or so years ago. I tried e-mailing all the related sources to no avail. Seems like time and the changes that come with time have set up a few communication raodblocks.
    It's interesting how certain circumstances are inbedded in your mind but that is as far as it is going to go. Trying to reattach those memories with those that were a part of it becomes an almost unsurmountable task. I wish you all the best. Perhaps you will get a relative response.
    Merry Christmas, Gary.
    Pass on my best to one and all.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Semper Fidelis SSGT Douglas D. Gardner!

Thread Information