Sound Off!!! - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Off!!!

Lst

Oh those lovely lsts...sweat like a pig dogging down the radio trailers and 6X with radio equipment..don't remember what counties..but rode one from Iwakuni to kaoisung(spelling) in 1962 or 1963..also one from Iwakuni to kusan,Korea in 1963..and a little trip from Kaneowi to the big island in 1964..so much fun..Slept on deck on our cots most of the time..aw memories.Semper Fi

August 1964 San Diego to Okinawa on the USNS General Gaffey. Ran into typhoon outside of Guam. Worst experience I ever had.

USS Peleliu, LHA-5 WESPAC 95 and WESPAC 97. Both for 6 months a stretch, plus workups. Plenty of bonding and brotherhood. Awesome liberty ports. Second float much better, because I didn't have to clean the head. First one sucked since I was a boot

Credits
    Savings
    USS Tripoli 10/89 Valaint Blitz
    USS Debuque 11/89 Valaint Blitz
    USS New Orleans 11/90-1/91 Desert Shield/Storm
    USS Tarawa 3/91-6/91 Operation Sea Angel
    My recruiter didn't tell me we had to take the slow boat to China!!!

i served on the uss new orleans we did a west npak i was very happy until we keft the port of san diego i was sick as a dog,i got better when i saw land i think Marines shouldnt be on ships its bad for our attitude
    \

USS Fremont AKA44 six month Med cruise in 1964

Quote Originally Posted by TJR1070
    USS Tripoli 10/89 Valaint Blitz
    USS Debuque 11/89 Valaint Blitz
    USS New Orleans 11/90-1/91 Desert Shield/Storm
    USS Tarawa 3/91-6/91 Operation Sea Angel
    My recruiter didn't tell me we had to take the slow boat to China!!!
    Have you ever heard of Operations Bear Hunt or Team Spirit held in Korea from 84 to 86? Now, THAT was a PARTY!!! Geez, even the Commanding Officers were getting in on the drinkin!! I had helped carry my Battalion Commanding Officer, LtCol. Palermo out of the Kang-Kang Club in Pohang, Korea to a honcho cab so he could get back to the ship!!! Pretty wild but good times and good memories!! We had heard the next Operation there would be called 'Valiant Blitz.'

Bali was our best stop. Saw our CO there drunk as a skunk. The same club I saw him at is the one that got bombed a few years ago and killed 40 or so Australian tourists. The Sari club, I thinkit was called.

I spent a little time on 6 different LSTs, between '59, and '63. Don't remember any names except Wood County. got seasick on every one of them. The worst was during the Cuban missle fiasco in '62. We got in to a storm, and that bathtub was taking 22 degree rolls, (according to one of the ships crew). Never been that sick before or since.
    RonC

whats a ship?

Just returned from Hawaii. Had to ride the Diamond Princess from San Pedro, Ca. to Hawaii and back. 15 day trip and it sure was a rough cruise. The mess hall sucked, and the quarters were terrible. The waiter was pretty good and the houseboy did a pretty good job. The biggest problem I saw was the bomb scare when we docked back in San Pedro.

Credits
    Savings
    USS Barrett in 64 to Oki, USS VanCouver Dec 64 to Mar 65, from Oki to Nam
    Barrett sucked, VanCouver was not too bad.

USS Newport (LST-1179) 26th MEU BLT 3/8 - 1990
    USS Nashville (LPD 13) 26th MEU BLT 3/8 - 1990
    USS Dubuque (LPD-8) 31st MEU BLT 2/4 - 1995

I have a Zippo from all three!!!

USS Constellation and the USS Lincoln.

Thread Information