Vietnam ribbons question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile Vietnam ribbons question

I am not clear as to what ribbons I should display for service in Vietnam. If you can advise me with a high degree of certainty, I would be most appreciative.

I have a board on which I display some photos and momentos of my service for the benefit of my family, including the ribbons. It is important to me that the ribbons displayed are correct.

When I left Vietnam, the commanding officer of 1st ANGLICO advised us as to which ribbons should be worn.
    When I arrived at Camp Pendleton, the commanding officer said to take away two of the three bronze stars on the yellow and red Vietnam Service ribbon.

I served in Vietnam with 1st ANGLICO Sub Unit One from October 4, 1967 through October 24, 1968. We were attached to the 2nd ROK Marine Brigade, typically as two man teams. According to the 1st ANGLICO website (http://www.i-mef.usmc.mil/msc/1st_AN...te/Lineage.htm)
    the following honors might apply to the ribbons issue:

1. Navy Unit Commendation Streamer with Two Bronze Stars
    (Vietnam, 18 February 1968-31 July 1969)
    2. National Defense Service Streamer with Three Bronze Stars
    (1 January 1961 – 15 August 1974)
    3. Vietnam Service Streamer with Two Silver and Two Bronze Stars
    (Tet Counteroffensive, 30 January – 1 April 1968)
    (Vietnamese Counteroffensive Phase IV 2 April – 30 June 1968)
    (Vietnamese Counteroffensive Phase V, 1 July – 1 November 1968)

If anyone on this site can figure this out, and advise me with a high level of confidence, I would be very thankful.

Semper Fi
    Vance Hall

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You have earned those awards that you have listed but with no attachments.

If you want to list all your awards both unit and personal (Combat Action Ribbon,ect.) I will create a new graphic for you.

Semper Fi.

Vance:

You rate the following:

Navy Unit Commendation Ribbon (No stars)
    National Defense Medal (No stars)
    Vietnam Campaign Medal w/ 3 stars (Tet Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase IV, Counteroffensive Phase V)
    (The stars should be bronze, not gold or silver). By the way, this is the ribbon that looks like the RVN flag.

Not listed above, but you also rate, is the Vietnam Campaign Medal. This is the green and white ribbon with a little metal 'ribbon' like device on it and the date '60- '. In precedence, this ribbon rates last in the row.

If you have any valor medals, they will take precedence over any of the above listed ribbons.

Your Good Conduct medal will fall behind the Navy Unit Commendation but before the National Defense Service.

If you earned a Combat Action Ribbon, that will take priority over ANY other decoration unless you have another 'personal' award such as a Navy Achievement, Bronze Star, Purple Heart, etc.

So, to wrap up...here, in writing (because I can't see the LCPl's pics) is how it would look:

Personal Award*Combat Action Ribbon*NUC*Good Conduct*National Defense*RVN Campaign*RVN Service

Hopefully, that makes some sense.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    Vietnam Campaign Medal w/ 3 stars (Tet Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase IV, Counteroffensive Phase V)
    (The stars should be bronze, not gold or silver).
    Wow, that is very clear! Thank you very much Sgt. That confirms my opinion that the CO in the rear (stateside) wasn't as up to snuf as was the CO in country.

With some minor adjustments, I will have it correct, after 40 years. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

And, LCpl. I also appreciate your assistance. It is a trivial matter to most, but really important to me to have it correct.

Semper Fi

Vance Hall
    Tulsa, OK

Your ribbons are NEVER trivial, Marine! I went to a cousin's funeral a few months back, former Marine, was a Scout dog handler. His family, god love em, had his ribbons displayed....he'd never done his 'rack' up apparently, and never asked for help.....so they put together his ribbons for him, what they thought he would have rated. Now, this guy was a very, very, proud Marine....but his ribbons were jacked. I tried to fix them as best I could, but it was impossible.

So, the moral of the story is, fix them now, while you can, no matter what. They are YOUR legacy to your family, and to yourself.

As a military collector, I have seen uncounted ribbons that some veteran earned, and the family had no idea what they were or are, and they were discarded for a pittance.

I am at your service, sir. I'd appreciate a picture of your display when you get it together!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WELCOME HOME CPL.HALL

The best way to know what you rate is to look at your DD-214. If you do not think that it is complete, you should request your medals and ribbons and they should come to you with a DD-215. It is not uncommon for them to not show on your DD-214 for some ops in Vietnam. With that in hand, go to a local recruiting office and ask them to pull the book that will tell you how to stack them. I know that you have at least two more that you rate, there may be others.

Cpl. Hall and GSO===========Some units were very good at puting in all the info needed for your medals and at awarding them. Some were not. I had to fight tooth and toe nail for my 1st PUC. I had to sumamit pitchers, unit direis and statments to get it. Try to find some of your buddies who were with you. Just reading your post there just might be a PUC for your Bn. and or other units you were attached to. Good luck

Ribbon checker site. Plug in what you have and it will give you the order.

http://www.uspharmd.com/usmc/ribbons/ribbonorder.htm

A year ago I wrote a letter to HQ and sent a bunch paperwork documenting my service and awards in order to substantiate what I rate for additional awards I did not receive while on active duty. Some awards didn't come along until after my active duty. During the summer I finally received a response confirming what I believed I rated. Just a few weeks ago I received another envelope from HQ. This time it had the papers I sent them as well as a few DD-215s. I'm still not sure why they have me rating an expert pistol badge.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RVHall
    Wow, that is very clear! Thank you very much Sgt. That confirms my opinion that the CO in the rear (stateside) wasn't as up to snuf as was the CO in country.

With some minor adjustments, I will have it correct, after 40 years. I can't tell you how much I appreciate that.

And, LCpl. I also appreciate your assistance. It is a trivial matter to most, but really important to me to have it correct.

Semper Fi

Vance Hall
    Tulsa, OK

Your welcome!

Question

LCPLE3 - can I have another favor? Your display would require an addition, the last item in Sgt Leprechaun's list below, the green and white Vietnam Campaign Medal with the small metal ribbon in the center. On the USMC site that he references, the Navy Unit Commendation Ribbon is shown on row 1 and the remaining 3 are shown on row 2.

Can you create this for me?

Thank you very much for your efforts.

Vance Hall

Navy Unit Commendation Ribbon (No stars)
    National Defense Medal (No stars)
    (The stars should be bronze, not gold or silver). By the way, this is the ribbon that looks like the RVN flag.
    .... Vietnam Campaign Medal. This is the green and white ribbon with a little metal 'ribbon' like device on it and the date '60- '.

Smile Dd-214

Quote Originally Posted by greensideout
    The best way to know what you rate is to look at your DD-214.
    Thanks for that recommendation. I sent off my request for a DD-214 today.

Semper Fi
    Vance Hall

Smile Combat Action Ribbon

If you earned a Combat Action Ribbon, ......
    OK, I know that I qualify, since I medivac'd out some number of ROKMC 10th Co. Marines that I lost count of after seems like 100 or so in my first four months. BUT qualifying doesn't mean you were awarded it. Typically, we ANGLICO field guys weren't awarded squat because the only witnesses were the ROK Marines. You needed to be an officer or a E-5 or better back in the rear to get awarded a medal. So do you think the DD-214 will show the relatively recent Combat Action Ribbon awarded retroactively, or how the heck do you figure this one out?

Thanks again for all this great advice.

Vance Hall

BACKGROUND:

"The Combat Action Ribbon was established on February 17, 1969,...."
    "......signed into law by President Clinton on October 5, 1999, authorized the Secretary of the Navy to award the Combat Action Ribbon to members of the Navy or Marine Coprs who participated in combat during any period after December 6, 1941......"
    "The Combat Action Ribbon originally took effect on March 1, 1961; however, with the passage of Public Law 106-65 (cited above), award of the Combat Action Ribbon may now be made retroactive to December 7, 1941."
    "The Combat Action Ribbon is a personal decoration awarded to members of the Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard (when operating under the control of the Navy) in the grade of captain (or colonel in the Marine Corps) and below who have actively participated in ground or surface combat."

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RVHall
    LCPLE3 - can I have another favor? Your display would require an addition, the last item in Sgt Leprechaun's list below, the green and white Vietnam Campaign Medal with the small metal ribbon in the center. On the USMC site that he references, the Navy Unit Commendation Ribbon is shown on row 1 and the remaining 3 are shown on row 2.

Can you create this for me?

Thank you very much for your efforts.

Vance Hall

Thread Information