Man Charged as Medal of Honor Imposter
Create Post

Man Charged as Medal of Honor Imposter

Milwaukee Journal Sentinel | By John Diedrich | August 22, 2007

Terry J. Powell has spoken to veterans' groups and public gatherings numerous times while wearing a Medal of Honor that he said he received for heroic actions during the Vietnam War - claims that federal investigators say are bogus, according to court documents made public Tuesday.

Powell, 56, of Milwaukee, has given different stories about how he came to earn the nation's highest award for valor.

He told veterans in May that he received it for combat in Vietnam and gave a similar story to a crowd of more than 200 gathered on Memorial Day at Cory Park in the Village of Dousman, according to a federal search warrant.

In June, he told Waukesha County sheriff's detectives he was a cook on the destroyer USS O'Hara and nursed several sailors with food poisoning back to health, the warrant said. He showed the detectives a Medal of Honor certificate that he says he received from President Nixon on July 15, 1972, and was signed by Navy Secretary John Chaffee.

The warrant points out several reasons to doubt Powell's claim: the O'Hara was a transport ship decommissioned in 1961 and scrapped by 1968, years before Powell claimed to have saved the sailors. Chaffee wasn't secretary of the Navy in the summer of 1972; John Warner was. The certificate, along with others Powell had for other medals, appeared to have been altered. And Powell is not listed as a Medal of Honor recipient on any records.

Powell has been charged with unlawfully wearing the Medal of Honor, according to documents made public Tuesday. If convicted, he faces up to a $100,000 fine and a year in prison.

Powell responded angrily to a reporter's call for comment Tuesday.

"I am a Medal of Honor recipient!" Powell yelled, adding he would submit to a lie detector test.

Powell said he lost the original certificate when his basement flooded and said he now has a "third party certificate," and denied forging it.

He repeatedly used profanity when referring to the FBI, which investigated his case. He said he is displaying his American flag upside down in protest. He called a reporter a profanity and then hung up.

Authorities learned about Powell from veterans. Robert K. Schmitt and Gerry Gramins, members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9496 in Menomonee Falls, said Powell wore the Medal of Honor to the post on May 1. Powell spoke at the VFW that day and described how he said he earned the medal during combat in Vietnam.

During the Memorial Day speech in Dousman, which was videotaped, Powell said he served three tours in Vietnam and one in Iraq.

Afterward, a Waukesha detective called Powell and said he wanted to write an article for a police newsletter about him, which was a lie, the warrant said. Powell posed wearing the Medal of Honor for photographs, the warrant said.

On Aug. 7, Powell again wore the Medal of Honor to the VFW post and tried to speak to the group but wasn't allowed, the warrant said.

The issue of illegally wearing medals will be discussed at the Congressional Medal of Honor Society's annual convention, set for Green Bay beginning Sept. 3.

Kenneth Stumpf, 63, of Tomah earned the Medal of Honor for rescuing wounded soldiers under intense fire and organizing an assault on machine gun bunkers in April 1967 in Vietnam.

"We're very proud and privileged to wear the Medal of Honor and all that it stands for and for the men who came before us," he said. "To have someone (falsely) say they're a Medal of Honor recipient is just a disgrace."

------------

Meg Jones of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

http://www.*************/NewsContent...146846,00.html

Attitude Adjustments Needed

Thanks & congratulations to John Diedrich for his efforts concerning Terry J. Powell's bogus claims about his being "... a Medal of Honor recipient ...". Until the USA decides to get serious about law enforcement, there will be no end to such carrying on. A recent personal example I just received is a report from my area State Representative (retired Col. Leo Berman), a Patriot. In his letter current legislation in the Texas Capitol is discussed. Among several items of good news is that Texas has passed a law that enables citizens to use lethal force to defend themselves and their property (home, self, car, etc). However, the write up contained the incredible (to me) statement that this law means citizens "... no longer have to retreat from those who would harm them ...". I'm gonna have to be a little more aware of what went on in Texas in the Legislatures of "... the Good Old Days ". How in the Hell did such a law ever get on any state's books? The idea that you have to retreat or defer to crooks and thugs is rat feces. I will write and ask to find out who was the earlier Solon authoring the "... defer to crooks and thugs... legislation". I hope Powell gets the $100,000 fine and year in prison. Also, I would vote for those individuals who would support and get additional law on the books containing punishment such as public flogging (anybody, any age). And when considering what's going on now I would also support legislation providing for " ... termination with extreme prejudice ..." for specified crimes. Let's hear it for Law and Order, I recommend it. Gary Hall, Tyler, TX

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Another instance of where "**** him and feed him fish heads" seems appropriate.

Thread Information