Why the Marines?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why the Marines?

Several months ago I was going through a tough time. I had just left school after a year of Army ROTC, was struggling academically ( although my grammar here might not indicate that ), and returned home just in time for another move. On top of that, I made some mistakes one day an important event and didn't say anything until called on it. It was said I cheated on something, and although my name was somewhat cleared, my pride had taken a beating ( if you want to know, PM me and I'd be glad to say )

So there I was, an 18 year old kid with no real direction. I had a lot of maturing, manning up, apologizing and maturing to do before I could take my next step in life. So I went about doing just that for a month or two, coming to grips with things, adjusting to new places, doing some serious introspection and starting to work again in town.

But ever since I was a child in the third grade, the Marines were there. I didn't know much about them back then, but after years of consideration I realized they appealed to me over any of the other services. I just hadn't taken steps towards becoming one of those odd creatures called Marines.

So the month after that, I took a gamble on one Saturday afternoon and went to the local recruiting office. There I met what will be one of the most important people for the rest of my life. His name was Staff Sgt. Young, and he met with me several times in the next few weeks doing nothing but determining if my motives were correct and genuine, almost as if it was a challenge... It was like he was overtly asking me, 'I don't think you are worthy.... are you? Prove it.'

So several weeks later I found myself at MEPS having my posterior examined by a doctor... and I swore in, and signed my contract into the Marine Corps. I was informed that when October rolled around I would be re-signing the contract to become an Infantry MOS... however I did not care, and as an Army Captain went off into a speech about how the Corps is so awesome, I praised God, Shiva, Buddha.... whoever the hell I could think of for giving me the chance to make that committment when six of my peers that morning could not.

So when I returned home, the parental units began to ask the inevitable : Why? Why the Marines?

So, here are some of my reasons...

1. I want to be a Marine... I want to be one of those same tall, clean shaven and focused gentlemen I first saw over 14 years ago. I want to earn that uniform, and wear it with pride.

2. I've worn the Army uniform in ROTC before. Whenever I put it on before an FTX/FEX, PT mornings, or barracks inspections, I looked at myself in the mirror and told myself I was wearing the wrong one... it just felt WRONG.

3. I want to earn every tear that falls down my cheek when my future Gods who happen to wear campaign covers press that charcoal Eagle Globe and Anchor into my hands.

4. I want to be able to walk with the same pride and distinction that so many before me have.

5. Most folks in ROTC never knew why they had yellow stripes down the side of their dress blue pants - E1s and up had them too. You would, however, be hard pressed to find ONE Marine who didn't know that the bloodstripes on the dress blue pants of E-4s and above representing blood spilled at the battle of Chapultapec in 1847, and the 35 NCOs and Officers that died there. The Corps is rich in its heritage, and I am inspired to become part of it and immerse myself in it.

6. The Marine Corps knows how to shoot, and I like to shoot, even if I may never shoot competitively again. The Army has about three days for teaching a soldier how to shoot. ROTC isn't even mandated to provide any kind of marksmanship training at all. But the Corps? Two weeks, and every recruit is entrusted to change their own sights, to put on their own loop slings, and shoot in multiple positions.

7. More with less. Every other service has a badge, ribbon or cord for every bullet fired, every minute spent. The Corps? I like the fact that the emphasis is on being a Marine first... one cannot tell the difference between an 0311 or a 2111. Both are Marines, and have earned their right to that claim.

8. The Brotherhood ( and sisterhood ) is about about as tightly knit as one can be. I have been talking with a former Senior Drill Instructor who has been giving me advice... and he quite literally said that, 'I am more than willing to help, if it means helping out my Corps'. This gentleman is more high speed that I ever have been, and he has been out for quite some time. I've never heard that anywhere else, or had anyone as willing to help me.

9. Its a challenge. You aren't offered money, you aren't offered free trash... you are given a challenge. 'You think you're good enough to be one of US? Prove it - sign here'. I signed, now I just have to back up that signature by giving every bit of effort I have in this body of mine to prove I am as good as my word.

10. Marines in my eyes are the Spartans of the modern age. They willingly commit to hard lifestyles, and make great sacrifices with their personal lives. They move all over the place at breakneck speed, without complaint. They always have to prove themselves to the old salts, as there are no free passes. They could probably go back in time and take down Hanoi with 1903 Springfield rifles if you told them to - nobody fights quite as fierce. These are my kind of folks.

11. You grow up. I have made mistakes in my life just like everyone else. No drugs, problems with the law or anything of the sort, but I want a chance to instill traits of discipline, honor, integrity, respect and all the others for myself. I want to put myself in a position in life where I have no other choice, and it is the only way to live. I want to fully learn from my mistakes, and I want to earn my honor and pride back so it shall never be taken away. I've done quite a bit of growing up over the past year... I expect boot camp to finish the process, and as a Marine I can rightfully call myself a man.

12. Marines are leaders... I want to be a good leader in the eyes of my suboordinates someday. I want the chance to help out my fellow recruits, and let them help me through the hardest thing we will probably ever do in our lives. We all have to finish together, or all is lost. I want the chance to go to the back of the formation and help the straggler, as he is part of the team, and Marines never leave their own behind. Forget about being guide or whatever positions they have, it isn't about positions in my mind. Its about earning the respect of your people by being there for their welfare, helping them when they need it, holding them accountable when they fail, and holding yourself to the same standards.

These are just a few of the reasons I have made the decision to step my boot into the circle. I have done great things, as well as not so great things, but the reason I say all this is I want other poolies to learn from me and my successes and failures, and to get as motivated and anxious to start this journey as I have become.

So that's why I did it. What about it fellow poolies, why the hell did you?!

Not to be a douche bag, but I had made a thread about this exact same question...

Otherwise, good stuff.
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=50079

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dang sweetie....................allllll that at 3 in the morning?

Sounds like you've at least made up your mind to want to do the right thing with your life. Go for it! Good luck.

To KBS, well dang, I must admit I never saw your thread! Didn't mean to... copycat if you will? Was meant to be more of a motivational thread for other poolies.

To Marine84 - Yes Ma'am, I tend to sleep and wake at odd hours. :-D

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    His name was Staff Sgt. Young, and he met with me several times in the next few weeks doing nothing but determining if my motives were correct and genuine, almost as if it was a challenge... It was like he was overtly asking me, 'I don't think you are worthy.... are you? Prove it.'
    Damn good Recruiter. ALWAYS be straight up with him and he will move moutains for you. Bullsh*t him once and he won't give you the time of day. Nor will we.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I noticed that too yellowwing - if they ALL recruited this way.........................

Quote Originally Posted by 762mm
    To KBS, well dang, I must admit I never saw your thread! Didn't mean to... copycat if you will? Was meant to be more of a motivational thread for other poolies.

To Marine84 - Yes Ma'am, I tend to sleep and wake at odd hours. :-D

No problem, I wasn't trying to steal any thunder from ya, just give you a few of the answer from other Poolees you were looking for.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kbs95125
    No problem, I wasn't trying to steal any thunder from ya, just give you a few of the answer from other Poolees you were looking for.
    Kyle----You dog!

Dog?

Sir, I refuse to wear ACU's....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You don't join the Marines because of the uniforms and how they look. You join the Marines because it is the best and does things the best way possible. You do it for pride, honor and service to this great country of America. Also around the World the name of United States Marine, puts fear and awe in all of Worlds people. It is the name of Marine that puts fear or fight into people not the uniforms. The uniforms do look good and people look in awe at us when we wear them. You are a Marine in whatever you wear or not wear, should be able to fight in whatever you got on as a Marine. You join the United States Marine Corps to be a United States Marine. Everything that matters is in the inside of you in your heart and soul of how you feel of the spirit of Semper Fi. All the other is just gear and cloth. It is the feeling of how you feel about your self and each other as Marines what is the most important, that is what it is all about.

Semper Fi

SgtHMH - Agreed Sir. Again, its one of the few reasons I want to take a shot at it, but its not the premier reason. Actually, I've experienced this in a way before. Let me explain.

In that ROTC program, when I first got in and we got past Indoc, everyone all of a sudden wanted to know when they would pick up PFC. Everyone started to think about NCO school and everyone dreamed of being a Staff Sgt in charge of a squad ( Arms does things a tad bit different, including squad leaders on the right 0_o ).

I was no exception at the time, as I knew no better. But after I left and had run into trouble, I took at look at myself and learned why I wasn't the first to pick up Corporal my first year. I was being a decent soldier first, but I wasn't focusing enough on academics, regardless of the huge distractions I faced my second semester. I placed the rank and position over the pride of being a good soldier and student first. From that day forward, ranks, decorations and so forth held little meaning for me anymore - this is why the Corps appealed to me so much. As long as one was a good Marine, all else didn't matter, no matter if one had been deployed or if he was a support or admin guy. The emphasis was on Marine, not Corporal or squad leader or 'just' wearing a uniform...

I learned my lesson there the hard way - that its the person under the uniform that I want to become - and I'm thankful I did realize this before I reach the Corps.

To KBS - You know, having worn ACUs and desert boots a while, they really are not too bad! Very light, meant for extremely hot conditions, but they tear VERY easily. They made it a bit too flimsy for combat use by sacrificing durability for comfort. Then again, I am kind of sad I am the one of the last generations to have to iron creases in BDUs, carefully polish my leather boots, use blousing bands on a regular basis, and use LCE/LBEs. :-(

When people ask me why I picked the Marines, instead of telling them the hundreds of reasons why I chose the Marines, i just say "If I'm going to serve, why not serve for the best?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kegs24
    When people ask me why I picked the Marines, instead of telling them the hundreds of reasons why I chose the Marines, i just say "If I'm going to serve, why not serve for the best?"
    QFT 100%

totally agree, the same thing I tell everybody. And almost the same answer for why I chose infantry as my MOS, if I'm going to do it, why not go all the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegs24
    I say that too. I could write a BOOK about all the reasons I want to join, but I just sum it up. If I'm going to defend the country, why not be one of the best?

Y'all a bunch of swordchasers

Thread Information