Army Warrant Officer Candidate Program.
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Army Warrant Officer Candidate Program.

Well, I've decided to give it a go. Since I'm too OLD for my beloved Corps and I'm wanting to serve; I've decided to try the Army. A guy I work with in Roleplay, who is also former army, suggested that I look into the WO program rather than go enlisted. So I did; to be a WO in the Army you have to be at least 18, but not older than 46 (I'm 38), with a high school diploma or GED (I have my BA) and willingness to put up with 18 to 19 weeks of training. I'll have to pass an aptitude test and survive a background investigation as well as pass the MEPS physical.

At my age this isn't intended to be a career, but rather a means to another end, which in this case it's my desire to return to school and get my Masters in Psychology and eventually my Doctorate. Student loans would shackle me with a bill equal to a small house in the boonies and that is something I don't want to deal with.

At any rate, I'm talking to the recruiter again tomorrow, perhaps things can work out to my benefit.

As WO, what would be your speciality?

Clay, go for it! BTW where is vernon parish in relation to me? I am in North Eastern La. right off of I-20

I think that most WO's have a lot of experiance in their field. Was wondering what yours is?

Quote Originally Posted by greensideout
    As WO, what would be your speciality?
    That's one of the things I'm supposed to talk to the recruiter about tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtt32
    Clay, go for it! BTW where is vernon parish in relation to me? I am in North Eastern La. right off of I-20
    Go west on I-20 'til you get to Shreveport, then take US 171 south and drive about 100 miles or until you cross into Vernon Parish.

Be a Night Stalker !!!

160th SOAR - Night Stalkers Don't Quit !!

lol

Hmmm.....truth be told that sounds kinda interesting. Do you already have to have a BA or is it based on experience?

Quote Originally Posted by 3077India
    Well, I've decided to give it a go. Since I'm too OLD for my beloved Corps and I'm wanting to serve; I've decided to try the Army. A guy I work with in Roleplay, who is also former army, suggested that I look into the WO program rather than go enlisted. So I did; to be a WO in the Army you have to be at least 18, but not older than 46 (I'm 38), with a high school diploma or GED (I have my BA) and willingness to put up with 18 to 19 weeks of training. I'll have to pass an aptitude test and survive a background investigation as well as pass the MEPS physical.

At my age this isn't intended to be a career, but rather a means to another end, which in this case it's my desire to return to school and get my Masters in Psychology and eventually my Doctorate. Student loans would shackle me with a bill equal to a small house in the boonies and that is something I don't want to deal with.

At any rate, I'm talking to the recruiter again tomorrow, perhaps things can work out to my benefit.
    wait, since you have your BA...why don't you look into the Army Officer Program? I'm sure there's an Army OSO in your area

Quote Originally Posted by JCam0331
    wait, since you have your BA...why don't you look into the Army Officer Program? I'm sure there's an Army OSO in your area
    Its funny you should mention that, because I just finished my face to face meeting with my recruiter and he told me I can get an age waiver for OCS. He's going to put me in contact with a Lt. who deals with recruiting officers. He didn't mention it before, because he wasn't sure I could get an age waiver, but since they need officers like crazy and I'm only 3 yrs older than the max age. He told me the person he talked to said I could get a waiver. According to him though I have to go army basic first, then my AIT, then put the paperwork in for OCS. To me that sounds strange, I'm going to ask some pertinent questions about that when I speak with that LT.

Quote Originally Posted by 3077India
    Its funny you should mention that, because I just finished my face to face meeting with my recruiter and he told me I can get an age waiver for OCS. He's going to put me in contact with a Lt. who deals with recruiting officers. He didn't mention it before, because he wasn't sure I could get an age waiver, but since they need officers like crazy and I'm only 3 yrs older than the max age. He told me the person he talked to said I could get a waiver. According to him though I have to go army basic first, then my AIT, then put the paperwork in for OCS. To me that sounds strange, I'm going to ask some pertinent questions about that when I speak with that LT.

whoa whoa what the heck? basic ---> AIT ---> OCS???

NEGATIVE SIR !!!

Don't let that sneaky recruiter try to screw you into enlistment !! You are a qualified potential officer candidate and you can to go straight to OCS.

I'm not extremely familiar with how the US Army works but I used to really really want to be an Army Ranger (a dream that is still in the back of my head even though now I am loyal to my branch of service and will continue on to become a Marine Officer)

but I spoke to an Army Captain and Major that runs an ROTC unit and they told me something about serving in the Guard and becoming an Officer at the same time...but that was for college students.

Since you're a grad...lol don't let him trick you into enlisting !!

Speak to an OSO ASAP...OSOs are not recruiters...they do a lot of the same things but they are not as pushy. For Marines its usually a Captain or a 1st Lt assisted by a Gunny...so I assume for the US Army it'll be a Captain or 1st Lt assisted by a SFC or MSGT/1SGT

speak to him and he should give you a no-bs assessment of your options.

I probably didn't help much but I hope I did a tiny bit

Semper Fi

Wait...at 38 years old, are you still capable of running a first class PFT? I'm sure that will go a long way towards getting your waiver.

And what MOS are you thinking of trying to get?

If you wanna be an 11A (the Army equivalent of the Marine 0302 Infantry Officer), it could be very physically demanding...and they would likely want to send you to the very grueling Army Ranger school if you wish to advance in the leadership ranks

Wait...at 38 years old, are you still capable of running a first class PFT? I'm sure that will go a long way towards getting your waiver.

And what MOS are you thinking of trying to get?

If you wanna be an 11A (the Army equivalent of the Marine 0302 Infantry Officer), it could be very physically demanding...and they would likely want to send you to the very grueling Army Ranger school if you wish to advance in the leadership ranks
    I've checked out the PFT requirements for the Army and I'll definately have get back into shape before I go. At the present I ride my bike 7 miles a day through hill country, but I'll have to trade that in for a good pair of running shoes.

whoa whoa what the heck? basic ---> AIT ---> OCS???

NEGATIVE SIR !!!

Don't let that sneaky recruiter try to screw you into enlistment !! You are a qualified potential officer candidate and you can to go straight to OCS.

I'm not extremely familiar with how the US Army works but I used to really really want to be an Army Ranger (a dream that is still in the back of my head even though now I am loyal to my branch of service and will continue on to become a Marine Officer)

but I spoke to an Army Captain and Major that runs an ROTC unit and they told me something about serving in the Guard and becoming an Officer at the same time...but that was for college students.

Since you're a grad...lol don't let him trick you into enlisting !!

Speak to an OSO ASAP...OSOs are not recruiters...they do a lot of the same things but they are not as pushy. For Marines its usually a Captain or a 1st Lt assisted by a Gunny...so I assume for the US Army it'll be a Captain or 1st Lt assisted by a SFC or MSGT/1SGT

speak to him and he should give you a no-bs assessment of your options.

I probably didn't help much but I hope I did a tiny bit

Semper Fi
    I'm not gonna sign any papers until I know for sure. He is only a staff sgt so what does he know about become an officer. I'm planning to call him tomorrow and get the number for the LT and call myself, so I can get some straight answers.

lol riding your bike 7 miles a day is good to go, it'll sure give you a good start.

theres this really really good site that helps candidates prepare for Marine OCS its called MarineOCS.com. I'm a member of that site, but I also think there is an ArmyOCS.com (actually I know there is)

so here it is

http://www.armyocs.com/portal/index.php

good luck man, I myself an very excited and enthusiastic about myself pursing a career leading American soldiers (generically speaking) so it always excites me when someone else is interested as well.

Thread Information