Vietnam Vet - retired commissioned officer - need benefits news
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Vietnam Vet - retired commissioned officer - need benefits news

My dad is 67 years old - he serve 14 years active service - 2 tours in vietnam saw combat alot. 6 years of reserve time - discharged around 1977. He has never received any retirement benefits. He is very unassertive and will not find out what he is entitled too. At his age and with very little means - we as a family need whatever help we can to find out what if anything he is entitled to. Thank you for your help.

Registered User Free Member Rick Holcombe's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Visit your nearest Veteran Affairs office. They really helped me.

Git him to the VA and the DAV or VFW now.

Unless the 6 years of reserve time was "active or drilling" reserve time and he accumulated the minimum number of reserve "points" to make each of those reserve years creditable towards retirement he is not entitled to retirement pay. If he was entitled to a reserve retirement he would have started receiving retirement pay at age 60. DFAS would have contacted him via mail 90 days prior to his 60th birthday and provided him with the necessary application to receive his retirement. If he failed to respond to the DFAS letter by submitting the application he would not receive payment.
    As for VA benefits, contact the nearest county service officer for the AK Dept of Veterans Affairs

If you have questions about benefits, you can always contact me. I will do my best to get him with the right people. My credentials are below

Marine Corps League Chapter Service Officer
    Disabled American Veterans Chapter Service Officer
    Veterans of Modern Warfare Chapter Service Officer
    Marine 4 Life Mentor (5 years)

while I would like to assist, I would recommend however, a Vietnam Veterans Association Service Officer. The only reason because, Vietnam Veterans Association www.vva77.com <---Local VVA77 office (A Marine with last name Welch is the President, very active) because they were veterans fighting right along the side of your family member and will know the ins and outs of what went on.

I am sorry that is www.vva77.org
    My mistake

Semper Fi

Thread Information