Exercises Explained! - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Side Straddle Hops-
    Better known as jumping jacks
    -Usually throws people off then they are called that, but get used to it if you hang with the USMC.

1. Stand straight up facing any direction
    2. Jump slightly in air seperating feet aside, shoulder length apart
    3. As you are on step #2 clap your hands above your head, Make sure you go all the way up, your hands should touch.
    4. Bring hands/Arms back to your sides.
    5. Bring feet back together starting the same way you did at the same time as step #4
    6. Repeat, you will have to do many of these to feel it but when you do it will kill your calves (bottom portion of your leg)
    Try doing 100 4 counts (200 total), If you puke or need to stop the first time you go that high dont feel bad, it will only get easier next time.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Want to jack up those all important forearms?

1.Grab a dumbell (any weight....whatever you can lift)
    alrite I really can't explain this right now(mostly I have to get off the computer soo i'll just take it from the website I got it from www.oo-rah.com)
    K here it is

o-rah and Semper Fidelis from Semper Fitness. It’s been very hot across the country and here at Semper Fitness we’re going to keep the heat coming. What we’re going to talk about today is how to work the powerful, yet often undertrained forearm muscles. I say often undertrained because many bodybuilders overlook this particular group of muscles. Let’s get ready to RUMBLE!
    When people think of working arms, they tend to think mainly of the bicep and tricep muscles. They pay rare attention to the muscles below the elbow. If they only knew that training those muscles would help their other lifts and workouts, they would be concentrating on them morning noon and night. What do the forearms do? Your forearms help you do many things such as turning door knobs, shaking hands, and holding things. They help you when you work back by helping you keep a tight grip on the bar. Have you ever done pull-ups and you couldn’t do anymore because your grip was slipping and not because you didn’t have the strength. Well, that’s the lack of strength in your forearms. I’m going to show you a few exercises to help build the forearms.
    The first exercise we’ll do is dumbbell hammer curls. These work the biceps and forearms. A hammer curl is done almost in the same fashion as a regular curl with the exception of holding the dumbbell like a hammer. Your curls will be done with your palms facing inboard, towards each other, vice facing up or down. You will do one warm up set of hammer curls and two heavy sets. You will do 8-12 repetitions (reps) on the warm up set and 5-10 reps on your two heavy sets to total failure. Next, you are going to do reverse curls. These are done similar to hammer curls except your palms will be facing the ground vice inward. They are done with the same one warm up, two heavy set rep scheme.

Great tip Rick, I had no Idea that forarms allowed you to just "hang" on a pull-up bar. I used to have that problem when switching grips, Which will lead me to another very good forarm exercise. Its a little harder to do since most people wont have this laying around the house.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

21's

Heres another....21's are GOOD!

ood day from Semper Fitness. Today we’re here to work those soon to be impressive arms. Everyone has a favorite bodypart that they like to work. For me it’s arms. Yeeaahhh bbaabbyy!!!! I feel that there’s nothing better than a pumped up bicep or tricep. We’re going to do about five different exercises for arms. For biceps we’ll be doing seated double armed dumbbell curls, easy-curl bar curls, and 21’s (ooohhh the pain). To hit those triceps we’ll be doing tricep extensions and standing tricep press-downs. Well, let’s grab the gloves, towel and water bottle and get busy.
    We’re going to start off with biceps. The first exercise we’re going to do is seated double arm dumbbell curls. What you are going to do is get a steep incline bench. If you can’t get a steep incline bench, a bench with a back will do. The set/rep scheme will be one warm-up set, two heavy sets. Your warm-up set will be done with dumbbell weights that you can do ten (10) reps with fairly easy. Your two heavy sets will be with a weight that you can only do 5-8 reps with. Remember when you do your heavy sets, go to total muscle failure. The last bicep exercise we’ll do is 21’s. What a wonderful exercise. You can use a straight bar or an easy-curl bar. That depends on how you feel. I like to alternate between workouts. Grab the bar and take a shoulder width stance as well as a shoulder width grip. With your palms facing forward you are going to curl the weight halfway up (forearms parallel to floor) 7 times. On the seventh rep, you’ll go all the way up to chin level. Then you’ll lower the weight halfway down 7 times(again forearm parallel to floor). On the seventh rep, you’ll go all the way down to the original start position. Finally, you’re going to do 7 full curls, all the way up, all the way down. This completes one set and let’s you understand why they’ re called 21s. On your 2nd and 3rd set, you are going to increase the weight and go to total failure. If you can get the full 21 reps without a spotter, you need to move up in weight. By now you should have an extraordinary pump in your biceps. Don’t cheat by swinging the weight or arching your back too far.

Weight, Rope, Bar-
    Doesn't have a name so I just called it what you need to do it.
    Your hands will be hard to move because your forarms are so sore. (If you do grippers after this it will be as if you placed your hand in the freezer for an hr)

Instruction to making the device.
    Materials: Rope (long enough to reach your shoulders, so prob like 5 ft for most people),Bar/pole(anything that wont break under stress), Latch
    1. Tie a rope to the center of a bar. It helps if it goes through the center of it so that the rope can be rolled up under stress.
    2. Tie or latch the rope to a 5, 10, or 15lbs weight

The exercise

1. You will then hold the bar straight out in front of you
    2. you will grip the bar with both hands as if you are doing a pull-up
    3. start to coil the rope up around the bar using only your wrists to do this.
    4. coil the weight up all the way to the top & Then back down.

IMPORTANT
    : Make sure you are not using your arms, use only your wrists to coild and un-coil The weight will start at the ground and end at the ground. Make sure that the rope is long enough to do this.

Alligator Crawl-
    It's fun and kills your arms

1. Lay on deck
    2. Push up from deck as if you were trying to crack your back (groin will be still on deck)
    3. have your hands placed in the opposite direction, Left-Left, Right-Right, arms shoulder length apart.
    4. Now raise your groin slightly into the air by using your ankles to push onto the deck, your knees will also come off the deck. (creates more resistance)
    5. place your left ankle over your right ankle, more resistance & easier to sllide. (Left over Right is first in the USMC Poolees)
    6. begin to "walk" forward on your hands, your legs will be limp except for the fact that your ankles are pushing off the deck. It will simulate an alligator & its tail.
    If you really want to be sore in the morning try step #7 and #8.
    7. as you get to the end of the room, field, arena,... stop, but stay into positon, point you hands forward and do ___ # of push-ups.
    8. Repeat, Go back to where you started ___ # push-ups, Repeat.

MT Climbers

Quote Originally Posted by TheBiggness
    Mountain Climbers-

Place your hands on the floor. Start with your legs staggered, right foot in front of your left. Jump up and switch feet, bringing your left leg forward. Repeat, alternating feet.
    Its very important to bring your legs/ feet/ knees, all the way up. When you do them make sure your knees are going inbetween your arms, & just slightly past your elbows. The drill instructor's will make sure your do it right & If you dont you will have to keep doing it until you drop dead. Start practicing this now so you wont have any problem doing them correctly at bootcamp.

Indy 500-
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    You get a towell. You put it on the ground. You put your hands on it. You do laps around the squad bay.
    Done on a "Black Flag Day". I have a long tiled hall way in my house, so I am going to try this. Sounds like a bi*ch to do, should be a blast. Poolees If you have the same luck I do give it ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowPaint078
    POW'S-
    This is an easy work out and can be usefull if you do not have a pull-up bar at your house.
    1. 10 push ups (Normal, Wide Grip, Diamond, what ever you want to work on)
    2. 20 "raise the roofs" The title says it all, after your 10 push ups you will get on your knees and "raise the roof" 20x its a quick movement, I guess if you dont know how to do this, the next best way to describe it is to imagine bench pressing above your head while on your knees 20 times.
    3. repeat 5, 6, 7, sets. 10 pushups w/ 20x raise roof = 1 set

you can get creative with this & it will kill your arms, you can use 3 diff types of push-ups, choose between elevated or non-elevated, # of reps, # of sets, and weights or no weights for the "rasie the roofs" (99.9% you wont need weights. When you get to the 5th set it will feel like knives stabbing into your arms, & chest).

Yea man, after this my arms felt like dead weight

Pyramid Pull-Ups-
    This will require a pull-up bar, if you do not have one you can buy them from Wal-Mart or Dicks Sporting Goods for $20.00

1, 10 push-ups
    2. 1 Pull-Up, any grip
    3. 10 push-ups
    4. 2 Pull-Ups
    5. 10 push-ups
    6. 3 Pull-Ups
    7. 10 push-ups
    8. 4 Pull-Ups
    9. Exc...
    10. Once you reach your set # start to go back down repeating the process.

Set a # for yourself to go up to in pull-ups & when you get to the "top" go back down. It will help a lot with your max set of Pull-Ups.
    If you have not done this before I suggest going up to 3 or 5 pull-ups then back down for your first time. That way you can see where your at. If you can only do 2 pull-ups try to get the 3, if you cant do POW's with the push-ups. Or if you want to die try POW's with the pyramid anyways, get creative.

Pyramid Pull-Ups-
    This will require a pull-up bar, if you do not have one you can buy them from Wal-Mart or Dicks Sporting Goods for $20.00

1, 10 push-ups
    2. 1 Pull-Up, any grip
    3. 10 push-ups
    4. 2 Pull-Ups
    5. 10 push-ups
    6. 3 Pull-Ups
    7. 10 push-ups
    8. 4 Pull-Ups
    9. Exc...
    10. Once you reach your set # start to go back down repeating the process.

Set a # for yourself to go up to in pull-ups & when you get to the "top" go back down. It will help a lot with your max set of Pull-Ups.
    If you have not done this before I suggest going up to 3 or 5 pull-ups then back down for your first time. That way you can see where your at. If you can only do 2 pull-ups try to get the 3, if you cant do POW's with the push-ups. Or if you want to die try POW's with the pyramid anyways, get creative.
    We did this a while ago. I believe for every pull-up you fail to do... you are to add an extra ten push-ups or something of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by hempstead56
    Yea man, after this my arms felt like dead weight
    Do that & then Bear Walk, Sun Gods, Crab Walk, 10 Diamond Push-Ups

Quote Originally Posted by Christiansen
    We did this a while ago. I believe for every pull-up you fail to do... you are to add an extra ten push-ups or something of the sort.
    Thats a good idea, but at my RSS you must finish. If you can no longer do a Pull-Up then you get someone to assist you. I guess thats impossible by your self, I guess if you put a stool under you & ignored it till you needed help you could do it. Then still have your arms doing as much as they can while pushing off the stool slowly with your legs.

Thats a good idea, but at my RSS you must finish. If you can no longer do a Pull-Up then you get someone to assist you. I guess thats impossible by your self, I guess if you put a stool under you & ignored it till you needed help you could do it. Then still have your arms doing as much as they can while pushing off the stool slowly with your legs.
    Well, say you couldn't do 11 or something. You'd do 20 push-ups and then re-attempt 11. Then do 10 push-ups and try 12 pull-ups. I don't think we actually had a max set as much as he just kind of told us when we were done. It works better with more than one bar. I like your way because an assist gets your body used to doing extra...

Chinese Sit-Up-
    This will require another person. This will also hurt your calves so if you are injured or healing do not try this.

1. Get into sit-up/crunch position.
    2. Have partner sit on your feet.
    3. Partner will place both arms inbetween Calves and Thighs securing them firmly.
    4. As you get to the "top" (second your bicep touches your legs) of your sit-up/crunch you will stand straight up.
    5. As you stand up your partner should be pulling their arms towards themselves, so that you do not fall over as you are standing up.
    6. Drop back down & repeat.

Thread Information