Do pneumonia rates with recruits go down during the summer?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do pneumonia rates with recruits go down during the summer?

I hope this isn't a stupid question, I know pretty much everyone gets "sick" in boot camp, but pretty much every recruit I've known has gotten pneumonia, but they've also all gone from like October-April.

Being that its hotter out, and 98* weather usually isn't the type of weather people catch pneumonia in, do the number of recruits that come down with it go down during the summer?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Definition

Pneumonia is an inflammation of the lungs caused by an infection. Many different organisms can cause it, including bacteria, viruses, and fungi.
    Pneumonia is a common illness that affects millions of people each year in the United States.
    Pneumonia can range from mild to severe, even fatal. The severity depends on the type of organism causing pneumonia, as well as your age and underlying health.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

It would be almost impossible to answer your question without the medical records of MCRD (which are classified). But as you can see the cause is variable, depending on the individual person, their immune system, etc. There is a misconception that it only comes in cold or cool weather! Not true, it can happen in the hottest of summers, again it depends on the persons immune system and other factors.

Why would this issue bother you? Are you likely to get it more than others?

The old thought that you get pnemonia or a cold during the winter is false. The germs can be present any time. In fact, I am getting over a small case of it right now. That said, I think there was one case in my platoon- so it isn't as if everyone is going to get it.

No, I'm not more likely to get it, however one of my buddy's seems he's always got some kind of bug and I figured I'd ask for him.

what is the most common illness at PI?

dunno what it iws usually its just recruit crud. You have people from ALL over the place and some from other countries you wonder when they going to learn english.. Everyone gets sick but dont worry you all will get a butt shot of penacilin

Quote Originally Posted by chrisathey1989
    Home sickness.

Once you get into your platoon, everyone is from different parts of your half of the country. Some people lived in the swamp, some people lived out in the country (Me.), and some lived in apartments or surburbs.

When you all come together, you all bring it together. You will get alittle sick, I don't know anyone who was perfectly fine the first four weeks or training, but once you go through the Gas chambers, you won't be sick any longer, your cold will come through nose, along with the other stuff that comes with it.

My friend went to Boot in July of last year I believe, and he ended up getting pneumonia AND pink eye, along with another recruit in his platoon. They took care of the pink eye with some Listerine mouthwash and just worked thru the pneumonia, but I think he said most recruits get pink eye at one point or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrity57
    My friend went to Boot in July of last year I believe, and he ended up getting pneumonia AND pink eye, along with another recruit in his platoon. They took care of the pink eye with some Listerine mouthwash and just worked thru the pneumonia, but I think he said most recruits get pink eye at one point or another.
    Listerine....In your EYE? Ouch!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Haha, pain is weakness leaving the body right?!

(Sorry, I'm feeling fired up and slightly sadistic because I just knocked 2 minutes off my 2.6 mile run time)

Fired up, feeling good!

Yup, Listerine, I guess it was the only way to take care of it at the time, he said it burned like a sum'b**** but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisathey1989
    Mental Retardation

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Um no ofence dude bt rape iz horrible!!!!! u been thru it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbob-Female
    Um no ofence dude bt rape iz horrible!!!!! u been thru it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Um, What?!?

Yeah I don't think she's been following along with the rest of us...

Thread Information