Joining with Asthma. - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I put the wrong # in it, its if you drop 20% you fail the test, thats how they ran the #'s for me.

Ok, that makes sense then.

ive been gettin seriuos about joining the military lately. i had athsma when i was a child, and i made sure the recruiter knew. when i run and do physical things im not hard for breathing and my chest doesnt tighten. i can hear a little bit of weazing but it doesnt phase me. i havent used an inhaler in years. like i said i told the recruiter this and he said if u dont think u have athsma, then u dont. i under stand of echo 4's point that someone unfit to serve should not serve. but does this really make me unfit to serve?

Credits
    Savings

Joining the Marines with Asthma

I have a close friend that has wanted to join the Marine Corps since we were five. However, he has been diagnosed with asthma since 13 on till now. He has been researching the Marines and found out that he can not join because of the late onset of asthma. He is devastated but is convinced from friends in the Marines he has talk to, that all he has to do is learn to control his asthma during exercise and lie on the enlistment medical section; then he thinks that as long as he controls the asthma the Marines will be none the wiser. I told him that lying to enlistment could land him in a world of hurt, but he refuses to stop planning to do this as he keeps telling me that his civilian medical records are private and the military can't see them. I reminded him that the military can check his medical records if he wants any kind of serious clearance. Again, he answers that if he just remains an enlisted man, he won't need any high clearance. Is this true? What about if he chooses to become an officer, as he has a bachelor's degree in education? Can anyone tell me about what kinds of security clearances entail the marines to check your private medical records and if the fact that he has asthma, but it does not effect his training or job will get him discharged from the Marines? I don't want him to go through with lying to enlist, but he is dead set on it. I need information to help him change his mind.

You need to go fill out your profile!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you would have taken the time to read the site rules then this would be a response to you post but since you obviously are to excited about being here I guess you over looked that.

Asthma

I had an asthma attack when i was 8 or so...but it was nothing serious. I made it serious and was able to fake it...I did so till my sophmore year in highschool where I saw the financial ruin I had lied me and my mom into. I know Im healthy enough to pass breathing tests the only thing I worry about physically is that Ive been smoking since I can remember. Started with a puff off mom cigg when she would leave it un attended. never inhaled till I was 14 when i started getting my own packs and was addicted by 17 its a great stress reliever and id rather die of ciggs and bullets young than die of nothing when im old. My question is How do i prove I dont have asthma with my extensive medical record? its completly false. Im 21 and im done being a peice of ****. I want to be in the ****. with u guys. Ive wanted to enlist my whole life...thinkin of marine core for 2+ years and im ready to do it...but i need advice on this matter first. Is there a way to revoke or void my medical record? Im sure I can pass any pulminary test...my only concern is being able to cough up all this mess inside my lungs during bootcamp as im sure my lung capacity has suffered. My next question is this....I talked to a recruiter 6 or 7 months ago and he nearly packed his stuff up and left after I told him the last time i had an asthma attack was 15 (it was a lie) then I told him the truth about lieing just to get out of school early or not go at all. He seemed like it could make it happen for me....I didnt follow thru however. I was deep in the throws of marijuana and flat out refused to bust ass to get my system cleared. My recruiter new this and let me be. I talked to this recruiter in ohio...im now in oklahoma. I want to be a marine but I dont want my peice of **** history to stop me...how can I do this?

Profile up... use paragraphs... capitalize Marine, Marines and Marine Corps... take out the expletives...

Oh, and we don't feel sorry for you.

Credits
    Savings

Joining the Marines with Asthma

I have a close friend that has wanted to join the Marine Corps since we were five. However, he has been diagnosed with asthma since 13 on till now. He has been researching the Marines and found out that he can not join because of the late onset of asthma. He is devastated but is convinced from friends in the Marines he has talk to, that all he has to do is learn to control his asthma during exercise and lie on the enlistment medical section; then he thinks that as long as he controls the asthma the Marines will be none the wiser. I told him that lying to enlistment could land him in a world of hurt, but he refuses to stop planning to do this as he keeps telling me that his civilian medical records are private and the military can't see them. I reminded him that the military can check his medical records if he wants any kind of serious clearance. Again, he answers that if he just remains an enlisted man, he won't need any high clearance. Is this true? What about if he chooses to become an officer, as he has a bachelor's degree in education? Can anyone tell me about what kinds of security clearances where the marines check your private medical records and if the fact that he has asthma, although it does not effect his training or job, will it get him discharged from the Marines? I don't want him to go through with lying to enlist, but he is dead set on it. I need information to help him change his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by cohenjacob View Post
    I have a close friend that has wanted to join the Marine Corps since we were five. However, he has been diagnosed with asthma since 13 on till now. He has been researching the Marines and found out that he can not join because of the late onset of asthma. He is devastated but is convinced from friends in the Marines he has talk to, that all he has to do is learn to control his asthma during exercise and lie on the enlistment medical section; then he thinks that as long as he controls the asthma the Marines will be none the wiser. I told him that lying to enlistment could land him in a world of hurt, but he refuses to stop planning to do this as he keeps telling me that his civilian medical records are private and the military can't see them. I reminded him that the military can check his medical records if he wants any kind of serious clearance. Again, he answers that if he just remains an enlisted man, he won't need any high clearance. Is this true? What about if he chooses to become an officer, as he has a bachelor's degree in education? Can anyone tell me about what kinds of security clearances where the marines check your private medical records and if the fact that he has asthma, although it does not effect his training or job, will it get him discharged from the Marines? I don't want him to go through with lying to enlist, but he is dead set on it. I need information to help him change his mind.
    "Your friend" needs to understand that if he lies about his medical condition and it is found out later......fraudulant enlistment........brig time.....kicked the fock out. As far as the clearence......rank is not an issue. Tell "your friend" that the Marine Corps doesn't want liers and to go check with the Army.

Quote Originally Posted by brucebruce299 View Post
    ive been gettin seriuos about joining the military lately. i had athsma when i was a child, and i made sure the recruiter knew. when i run and do physical things im not hard for breathing and my chest doesnt tighten. i can hear a little bit of weazing but it doesnt phase me. i havent used an inhaler in years. like i said i told the recruiter this and he said if u dont think u have athsma, then u dont. i under stand of echo 4's point that someone unfit to serve should not serve. but does this really make me unfit to serve?

Fill out your profile.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by KawiGunny View Post
    "Your friend" needs to understand that if he lies about his medical condition and it is found out later......fraudulant enlistment........brig time.....kicked the fock out. As far as the clearence......rank is not an issue. Tell "your friend" that the Marine Corps doesn't want liers and to go check with the Army.
    Maybe he should join the Army? LOL, I'll make him the offer. What did you mean by "rank is not an issue"? When will they check his medical records? He's convinced they never will.

Quote Originally Posted by cohenjacob View Post
    Maybe he should join the Army? LOL, I'll make him the offer. What did you mean by "rank is not an issue"? When will they check his medical records? He's convinced they never will.

If he has asthma, it will bother him down the line. After the medical officers treat him and do some test, they will find out that this was a pre-existing illness and report it as such. As far as the rank is not an issue...... any rank can be submitted for a security clearance depending on their jobs they are tasked with.

And yes, try to convince him not to join our ranks. If he is willing to lie now, he will continue to lie once he is in. "Marines don't lie, cheat or steal"

Credits
    Savings
    KawiGunny, What if cohenjacob maybe had some kind of acutye childhood asthma, and then in Boot Camp It reacurred?? Would he be able to tell the truth about how he hasn't needed his inhalor since he was a child?

Quote Originally Posted by AshLynne View Post
    The big thing about asthma is when was the last time you used/needed an inhaler. If it was childhood asthma, you disqualified yourself. If you really want to be a Marine, you'll shut your mouth about asthma. I had sports related astham, meaning if i ran for long periods of time, it would flare up. And in the muggy weather of PI, it flared up. You can control those things if you
    re desire is there.

But don't they check your med. records?

this is a 2 year old thread...

Thread Information