Create Post

Exclamation Stuck in the middle with the Marines

Wednesday, January 3, 2007
    Stuck in the middle with the Marines
    Jenny Sokol
    Columnist
    The Orange County Register
    bjs92@adelphia.net

Abraham Lincoln once said, "The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time."

Amen for Abe's infinite wisdom, because sometimes the future comes at you like a freight train intent on running you down. If you can catch your breath long enough to take it one day at a time, that train may actually slow to a stop, let you on, and lead you on an exciting voyage.

For me, the freight train screaming down the tracks is that glorious organization called the Marine Corps, the service that I simultaneously revere and rail against.

I married a Marine 11 years ago, which I later learned is synonymous with marrying the Marine Corps. I've also discovered that the Marine Corps has quite a sense of humor.

Perhaps Hubby's placement officer read my Oct. 11 column, in which I comforted my buddy Angie, who fretted over the possibility that her family would be sent to Kansas.

"I'm sure Kansas has its charm," I wrote. "I just hope it isn't Angie's destiny to discover it."

It's not Angie's destiny to discover it, but instead, come June, my own. To quote miffed Alanis Morissette, "Isn't it ironic, don't you think?"

The atlas is open on the bed. "Kansas is right in the middle of the country," I repeat to Hubby. Of our six moves, we've never lived in the middle. I'm trying to rally here. "There's snow in the middle, right? And corn – nothing's better than fresh corn on the cob!"

Honestly, the Kansas news came as a bit of a shock, but since Hubby was selected to attend an Army school, we feel honored. Honored, but sneaky. During my days at the Naval Academy, I shouted, "Beat Army!" until I was hoarse. Soon, I'll be living amongst the "woops," as we called them, hoping they won't uncover my dirty little secret.

There's a stack of Kansas books on the dresser. "Did you know that the sunflower is the official flower of the state of Kansas?" I ask the kids. "Mom's favorite flower is the sunflower! Isn't that CRAZY? This is meant to be!"

My brain is in overdrive convincing myself and my Virginia- and Delaware-based families that orders to Kansas are better than orders to Virginia. "I mean, you would have hated driving those congested roads to visit us," I assure Mom.

On the Internet I discover "the middle" is actually a fascinating place with incredible history. Reading about Kansas City, I discover the Kansas Speedway. "NASCAR!" I shout to no one in particular. There's football, fine dining and a huge Renaissance Festival with actors who probably taunt, "Buy a chicken leg, wench!" This is all so great, great, great!

It all comes back to Abe's advice. This military lifestyle is a marathon, not a sprint. When I take the run at a leisurely pace – one day at a time – I appreciate it.

Out of necessity, I've been forced to shift perspectives. The Marine Corps is not my enemy but my fearless friend, leading me by the hand toward new and interesting adventures.

Kansas or Bust!

Contact the writer: bjs92@adelphia.net

Ellie

Last edited by thedrifter; 01-03-07 at 06:38 AM.

Thread Information