Questions about weapons
Create Post

Questions about weapons

I've noticed that some Marines carry M16's, M16's with M203 attachments, M4's, all configured with items like different scopes/sights, IR Illuminators, Flashlights, etc. How do they get these attachments? Do they have to buy the upgrades themselves, or are different attachments available as you get promoted in rank? I'm just noticing on the News, Internet, and different random pics of Marines having different configuations on their rifles.

Thanks,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by ChknSanwch
    I've noticed that some Marines carry M16's, M16's with M203 attachments, M4's, all configured with items like different scopes/sights, IR Illuminators, Flashlights, etc. How do they get these attachments? Do they have to buy the upgrades themselves, or are different attachments available as you get promoted in rank? I'm just noticing on the News, Internet, and different random pics of Marines having different configuations on their rifles.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Depends on your need and your commands ability to get the items. I was given a starlight scope once. Can't remember the exact name of it but I was very happy to get it. I found out the real problem was getting the batteries for the thing. Luckily I had a friend in the right place so I was the lucky one with a working scope.
    Picture of me and it. http://www.leatherneck.com/gallery/s...mageuser=22809

You will be issued your weapon. For example, in a fire team, the a gunner and riflemen will have the M-16. The SAW gunner will have the SAW. The team leader will have an M-16 with M-203.

I don't know of any Marines being issued the M-4 at this point. (I am sure there are some.) It doesn't do the job of rifle as well as the M-16 and it doesn't do the job of submachine gun as well as the MP-5 and other sub guns.

As for sights and the like, I would suppose you will get it if they have it. A red dot is nice to have in some situations, but a Marine with open sights is pretty deadly at combat ranges.

Yea, my bad about the M4. I've just seen some Marines on the new and such that have a retractible/adjustable stock. Guess thats the M16A4, my bad.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No, there are a good number of Marines running around with M4s. They're commonly issued to Motor Transport units, LAV/AAV crews, etc., because of the close quarters in which they operate and from which they'd be required to present their weapon to a target. The smaller size of the carbine makes them easier to handle. As far as the attachments and such, the beauty of the M16A4 is that the picatinny rails allow for total modular use of the weapon. Some items, like the ACOG (Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight) and other optics, may be issued- eventually, the Marine Corps is moving towards making some sort of optics a standard issue item for all combat deployed Marines (but that's a long way off). Laser designators, etc, may also be issued by your unit, but a lot of that stuff, especially stuff like buttstock magazine pouches, higher-end slings, SureFire flashlights, etc., are completely on the level to be purchased out of your own pocket. If it's something that you're gonna need, and you think you'll have a problem getting it, and can't solve that problem, then feel free to drop the cash on it. The SureFire lights are great for a lot of purposes, as long as you observe proper light discipline, as well as stuff like red lens tactical nav-lights, etc. Just make sure you get what you NEED, and avoid all the extra sh*t that just looks cool, 'cause it all adds more weight to the weapon. Don't be a "gear queer" so to speak, but if it's going to enhance your effectiveness and survivability, go ahead and get it however you can. Yes, the Marine Corps will issue you a good amount of gear, but lets face it- government contracts are made by the lowest bidder, and sometimes, you'll be more effective or more comfortable if you drop some of your own cash for authorized, but non-issued gear. Best example I can think of is the CamelBak line of hydration gear. Sure, they issue you one, but that damn thing is cheap and seems to never work (when mine was issued, it was full of Iraqi sand from the last guy). I went out, dropped the cash on a desert pattern daypack/CamelBak, and I've used the hell out of it ever since- well worth my money. Just do your research, and talk to the other Marines around you who may have had other experiences with this sort of thing.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    by LivinSoFree - No, there are a good number of Marines running around with M4s. They're commonly issued to Motor Transport units, LAV/AAV crews, etc., because of the close quarters in which they operate and from which they'd be required to present their weapon to a target.
    LivinSoFree is absolutely correct. When I was in Nam and a truck driver our M-16's were useless when the fomage hit the fan while driving. We were required to carry our M-16's aboard the vehicle but most of us also carried more user friendly weapons that we aquired. I preferred the M-79 blooper as it had a number of different rounds that could be deployed like HE and bee hive round (my personal favorite). Just think how effective a 40mm blast of OO buck coming your way would be. I also loved the M-3A1 grease gun and a M-1 Carbine improvised into a pistol.

Thanks LivinDoFree. As I think about it, I knew that people were using them. In fact, the guys from my unit that are still in had them last time we talked about such things.

I am glad that they are at least issuing CamelBacks. We all had to buy our own. I now prefer HydraStorm from Black Hawk, but a quality CamelBack is just as good, and I honestly believe they're the best invention since the rifle for Marines and Soldiers.

Jim, I have never seen a flash suppressor on a grease gun before. Did you home cook that? I like the "uniform" too---lol.

Thread Information