Happy Birthday USMC! The Corps’ 231st Birthday
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thumbs up Happy Birthday USMC! The Corps’ 231st Birthday

Exclusive: The Corps’ 231st Birthday
    Col. Jeff Bearor (USMC, ret.)
    Author: Col. Jeff Bearor (USMC, ret.)
    Source: The Family Security Foundation, Inc.
    Date: November 8, 2006

Happy Birthday USMC! Join FSM Contributing Editor Jeff Bearor as he looks back upon the history and traditions of the Marine Corps, and reveals what gift Marines want from you on November 10.

The Corps’ 231st Birthday
    Col. Jeff Bearor (USMC, ret.)

On Friday 10 November in a thousand places around the globe and here at home Marines, former Marines, their families and friends will pause and celebrate the Corps’ 231st Birthday. It’s usually a simple ceremony, but for Marines it is laden with meaning.

A Marine cannot talk about the present or the future without remembering the past and all those millions of Americans who have earned the title Marine. At every Marine Corps birthday celebration a piece of cake (sometimes just a simple MRE cake from a plastic pouch) is given to the oldest Marine present then passed from the oldest to the youngest Marine there signifying the passing of knowledge and of responsibility for our Corps’ legacy. This simple act will occur this week many hundreds of times all over the world in places as different and distinct as the Grand Ballroom at the Washington Hilton, aboard US Navy ships at sea, at company outposts in Al Anbar Province in Iraq, and with Marine advisor teams in the mountains of Afghanistan.

At the birthday ceremony we read the birthday message from both the present day Commandant and that issued in 1921 by Major General Commandant John A. LeJeune. General LeJeune’s message says in part,

“In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our Corps, Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term “Marine” has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.”

“This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it we have also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our Nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as “Soldiers of the Sea” since the founding of our Corps.”

Again at this year’s birthday we find tens of thousands of Marines far from home carrying Freedom’s torch in tough fights against our nation’s foes. The vast majority of Marines (more than 72%) are 25 years old or less. Barely mature, they carry an awesome burden and responsibility to live up to the Corps’ near mythic legacy and to look out for the Marines on their left and right. That these young Americans continue to carry the weight and perform so superbly is a testament to their training certainly. But what is really striking is that our nation continues to produce young men and women of such high caliber and moral virtue. These kids who volunteer to be Marines could do anything they set their minds to; they are superb, as good as any men and women our country offers – yet they choose to serve you, their country, and each other before all else. What a great testament they are to the basic strengths of America.

A Marine’s greatest fear isn’t necessarily death. A Marine fears above all else that he or she might let down a fellow Marine or not live up to the legacy passed to Marines by the history of our fabled Corps. A line of dialogue heard early in the recently released movie “Flag of Our Fathers” says everything you need to know about the young Marines celebrating their Corps’ birthday this week, “Marines may fight for their country, but they give their lives for their buddies.” Remembering why we fight, and what we fight for is what the Corps’ birthday is all about.

Don’t for a minute think that young Marines don’t understand or follow the debates going on around the country about Iraq. They follow very, very closely because it is their lives on the line not those of the debaters. Despite the verbal clashes of politicians and pundits, these young Marines continue to serve with “distinction and soldierly repute” precisely because they believe in their country, their Corps, their mission, and each other.

Marines don’t need much encouragement to serve. They don’t ask for much either. In fact all they want is for us to acknowledge every so often their service. If you see a Marine this week, tell them thanks for their service and happy birthday. That will mean more to a young Marine than a chest full of medals. Happy Birthday Marines!

FamilySecurityMatters.org Contributing Editor Col. Jeff Bearor (USMC, ret.) is a career Marine Corps officer, the former commanding officer of the Recruit Training Regiment at the US Marine Corps Recruit Depot at Parris Island, SC, and has served as Chief of Staff, Marine Corps Training and Education Command, Quantico, VA.

Ellie

Happy birthday, Marine Corps
    November 08,2006

Nov. 10, 1775, marks the birth of the United States Marine Corps, but the Corps’ birthday wasn’t officially celebrated until Marine Commandant John A. Lejeune, for whom Camp Lejeune is named, decided it was time to officially commemorate the occasion.Lejeune’s first birthday message, in 1921, says in part, “During 90 of the 146 years of it’s existence, the Marine Corps has been in action against the nation’s foes. From the battle of Trenton to the Argonne, Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home. Generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.”

Prior to 1925, when the first official birthday celebration was held, Marines in various locations around the world celebrated the Corps’ birthday with a dance or a ballgame or even a mock battle.

But 1925 was the year that saw the birthday ball cast in the tradition of today’s celebrations. Now, on the occasion of the Marine’s 231st birthday, many of those early events have become an important part of the birthday celebration.

Even more noteworthy than the birthday balls and ceremonies, though, are the additional accomplishments Marines can add to Lejeune’s list.

The former commandant had long given up the reins of command by the time World War II was fought with its history of fierce combat in the Pacific. Korea, a frozen wasteland that presented the Marine Corps with a unique challenge, was followed by Vietnam. Today, Iraq and the Middle East have become a priority for the Corps.

Commandant M.W. Hagee’s birthday message this year recognizes the unique role of Marines in modern history, as well as the past.

Hagee’s message says, in part, “This year’s celebration again finds many from our ranks, serving with distinction in harm’s way. As we have for the past 231 years, our Corps is answering the Nation’s call. I can report first hand that our Marines fighting on the front lines of the Long War on Terror are performing brilliantly, acquitting themselves with honor, dedication, and dignity in difficult and dangerous environments.”

Hagee also honors Marines stationed elsewhere, the sailors who serve with them and the military families who support them.

As a community with a large number of military families, no one knows better than Onslow County residents how vital the military is to the safety and defense of this nation. But it’s also recognized how much a stable and supportive home life can mean for the men and women who go forth to protect the freedoms enjoyed by this nation and its citizens.

The Marine Corps has been doing its job for 231 years, and it hasn’t missed a step.

Whether Marines are fresh young recruits or seasoned veterans, there’s no fighting unit on the face of the Earth more trustworthy, dedicated or honorable.

Happy birthday, Marines.

Ellie

Young Marine joins birthday ball tradition
    November 06,2006
    ANNE CLARK
    DAILY NEWS STAFF

A month and five inspections later, his uniform is ready for the birthday ball. His noncommissioned officers made sure the fit was good and the emblems were placed correctly.

“If I was an NCO, I’d want my Marines’ uniforms to look more squared away than mine,” said Pfc. Joseph Christian. “I’d put them ahead of me.”

Christian was prepping for his first birthday ball Nov. 3; it’ll be his first formal event, outside of family weddings.

It’s been 231 years since the Marine Corps was born in a Philadelphia tavern. Legend has it that the bar’s owner was the Corps’ first recruiter.

In 1921, Gen. John Lejeune issued an order honoring the Nov. 10 birthdate; within a few years, different installations were celebrating the occasion — some with a formal dance, others with a battle re-enactment.

Today’s birthday ball is equal parts somber remembrance, proud reflection, and a real good party.

“I want to see what the whole ceremony is like,” said Christian, 23. “It should be an exciting time.”

His unit, Headquarters and Support Battalion, is having their ball at a Wilmington hotel. Christian and his buddies have planned post-party fun in Wilmington’s nightclubs.

But first he’ll make some memories: posing for a formal portrait in his service alphas (he’ll send pictures to his mother and his girlfriend back home); listening to the stirring military marches; hearing the Commandant’s birthday message.

Christian and the other guests will likely watch a short film linking Marines of history to those who are fighting today.

“I’ll see them and think, ‘How can I help them, my brothers out there?’” Christian said. He’s currently attached to Camp Lejeune, but could be deployed sometime during what he plans to be a 20-year career.

Since it’s a birthday celebration, there will be cake. Traditionally, the youngest and oldest Marines present get the first slices. Christian hopes to meet some of the veterans there.

“That’s going to be me one day, passing that knowledge on,” he said.

Christian liked the Corps for its camaraderie, something he witnessed in high school as a member of the Junior ROTC.

“There’s a brotherhood, a tight bond,” said Christian. “I could call someone at 3 a.m. to give me a ride, and a Marine would come.”

He’s the son of Indian immigrants who moved to the U.S. in the 1970s.

“They wanted something better for the family they were going to raise,” said Christian. They settled in New York.

He was driving to school in Staten Island on Sept. 11 when he watched the hijacked plane plow into the second trade center tower.

“I almost drove off the road,” said Christian. “That changed my outlook.” Lost for several hours in the chaos were one of his uncles and a cousin, but they were found safe.

Christian enlisted exactly nine months before the Marine Corps’ birthday — Jan. 10 of this year — because he wanted to do something better for his life, he said.

Though the music will be lively at the ball, and the women beautiful, the service members gathered there will remember those who will celebrate Nov. 10 from the desert.

“I’ll pray for the troops out there to get home safe,” said Christian. “I’d want someone to look out for me, too.”

Ellie

a little early but, Happy Birthday Brothers and Sisters

I'll Second The Happy Birthday Brothers And Sisters!!!!!!!!!!
    God Bless All Of You And Especially Our Brothers And Sisters In Harm's Way!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi,

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    SEMPER~FI~THAT!!!LAND OF THE FREE~BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE THE FEW~THE PROUD~THE MARINES!!!

Marines run around Hansen to celebrate Corps’ birthday

By Cindy Fisher, Stars and Stripes
    Pacific edition, Thursday, November 9, 2006

CAMP HANSEN, Okinawa — Running and Marines go hand-in-hand, say Marines with the 3rd Marine Division here, so what better way to celebrate the Marine Corps’ 231st birthday than with a division formation run?

More than 1,200 Marines hit the pavement early Tuesday morning for a 3-mile formation run around the perimeter of Camp Hansen.

Marines bused from Camp Courtney and Camp Schwab were ready to go by the time a 6 a.m. cadence rang through the air on a football field.

Once all were assembled, Division Sgt. Maj. Evins McBride addressed the runners: “This is meant to be fun. There should be no mental blocks of pain coming from your bodies.”

The run was intended for motivation, he said, and “I wish we could do this once a month.”

After running the Hansen perimeter, Marines headed to the United Service Organizations for a “Warriors Breakfast” of pancakes and sausages.

Running is a Marine Corps tradition, so it’s only natural to celebrate the Corps’ birthday this way, said Capt. Morina Foster, part of division staff.

Cpl. Vick Wang agreed with the weight of the tradition, but “I would rather do a field meet — pugil sticks and stuff like that,” he said.

But Lance Cpl. Glenn Stein said the event was the best possible way he could have celebrated his first Marine Corps birthday.

“This is something I won’t forget, and I’m looking forward to next year,” said Stein.

Ellie

U.S. Marines celebrate 231 years
    The Town Talk

This weekend, the U.S. Marine Corps celebrates 231 years of continuous service to our nation. The celebration will occur everywhere Marines are on duty. Marines will hoist a glass to those who served before them and for those serving on the battlefield today.

Even Cenla will be caught up in this grand event, and Marines of our area will host celebrations complete with dress blues worn with honor. If you are a civilian and are invited to a Marine Corps Ball, you will be amazed by the pageantry. You will find a unique dedication to the Marine Corps, the country and our flag.

The birth of the U.S. Marine Corps and the 231 years of dedicated service is plenty of reason to celebrate, but there are other reasons, as well. Marine Corps Depot, San Diego, Calif., is where I became a man and took responsibility for my own actions. It was there I learned about respect for myself and my fellow man. I am not unusual; all Marines have similar stories to tell. Marines have a certain pride in the Marine Corps and their personal service. We trained hard to become Marines. We trained hard to be at the forefront in our nation's actions, and even in the later years, many of us stand ready to answer the call again.

When the Marines of Easy Company 28th Marines raised the American flag on Iwo Jima, James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy said, "The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next 500 years."

Those Marines simply raised a flag, yet to the world, a battle had been won; an enemy defeated. Each generation of Marines has distinguished itself through the blood and sacrifice necessary to preserve a nation. To say we are proud to wear the title, U.S. Marine, is an understatement. The U.S. Marine Corps will continue to protect and defend our nation. It is only right we celebrate our birth as a corps because it is also the birth of our own beginning.

If you see a Marine, thank him for his service. Let him know it is truly appreciated. Shake his or her hand and allow that single touch to be an honor. You are protected by the few, the proud, the U.S. Marines.

Kenneth Clark
    Natchitoches, La.

Camp Hansen Marines on birthday run

By Cindy Fisher, Stars and Stripes
    Pacific edition, Thursday, November 9, 2006

More than 1,200 Marines hit the pavement early Tuesday morning for a 3-mile division formation run around the perimeter of Camp Hansen, Okinawa, to celebrate the Corps’ 231st birthday in fitting Marine fashion ("Marines run around Hansen to celebrate Corps’ birthday").

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?...&article=41357

Ellie

Happy Birthday Brother and Sister Marines a few days early.By the way anyone who lives in or near Philly should know about the annual Marine Corps.Birthday Bash at Cookes bar in South Philly.Its a Blast! Semper Fi

Exclamation

11/08/06
    The Marine Corps Celebrates It's 231st Birthday
    A branch of our Military is soon going to be another year older.

Marines at Marine Corps Air Station Beaufort held a special celebration Wednesday to mark the Marine Corps 231st Birthday coming up this Friday.

As part of the traditional ceremony, the Commanding Officer cut two pieces of cake. One for the oldest and the other for the youngest Marine at the Air Station. A celebration, Marines cherish.

"It's a time when I get to sit back and reflect on everyone that's came before me, striving to be like they were and be the best I can be," said Cpl Kyle Taylor.

Marines on Parris Island and throughout the globe will also be taking time out to celebrate the Corps Birthday. In fact, besides the cake cutting ceremony, marines also hold balls.

Reported by: Jaime Dailey, jdailey@wtoc.com

The few, the proud

Ken Elliott, Boiling Springs
    Published November 7, 2006

On Friday, the United States Marine Corps will celebrate 231 years of serving this nation. Marines everywhere will toast those who served before and those who are in battle today.

In cities everywhere, the birthday celebration culminates months of preparation. Our Marines will host celebrations wearing dress blues. If you are invited to a Marine Corps Ball, enjoy the pageantry of this observance. Proudly observe men and women dedicated to their country and the Marine Corps.

The Marine Corps birthday and centuries of dedicated service are reasons to celebrate, but others exist. At Parris Island, I was reborn. There I became a man and took responsibility for my own actions. There I learned respect for myself and my fellow man.

I'm not unusual; all Marines experience this. Marines exhibit pride in their service to the Marine Corps. We trained hard to become Marines. We are proud to be first in our nation's actions, and many stand ready if called again.

From Iwo Jima to Saigon to Baghdad, each Marine generation distinguished itself by sacrificing to preserve a nation. Saying we are proud to be United States Marines is understated because we forever defend our nation.

If you see a Marine in uniform or a veteran displaying the Marine symbol, thank him. Give him reason to walk proudly, knowing your appreciation. Shake his or her hand, and make that touch an honor. You're protected by the few, the proud, the Marines.

Ellie

happy birthday to the Corps and us Semper Fi

Happy 231st Birthday Marines.
    Photos of CMC cutting cake at Bethesda Naval Hospital at http://www.oohrah.net under photograph links. Enjoy!
    Semper Fi
    Don

Happy Birthday MArines!

Thread Information