Question to all the Old Salts
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question to all the Old Salts

Whats up everybody? I am new to this forum and got a quick question. After serving my 4 yrs, I decided to move on to what I thought were bigger and better things. Holy crap was I wrong. But, thankfully I finally found my niche. I went back to school and got my EMT-Basic certification. I now work on an ambulance and I love it. I get to play Doc now. Ha ha. My question is this: When I am at work, I often pick up former Marines from all eras. (WWII, Korea, Nam, and later.) Now I don't have much of a problem talking to the younger jarheads, but to be honest I don't know how to strike up a conversation with an older Marine. I am just in awe when I find out that they were in Korea or Vietnam. (I picked up a Frozen Chosen vet once and just stared at him, stupified.) I thank God every day for what they did and for giving me the chance to be what I am today. I don't want to embarass them or maybe bring back bad memories or sound like a boot and ask something stupid like "Did you kill anybody?" I served during peacetime and have no combat experence. So, should I just ignore the fact that they were in a conflict, or try to talk to them? And while I'm on the subject, should I be feeling the anamosity I feel toward these sh**birds I find were kicked out of the Corps for going U.A. or dope or other crap. I may be a PFC but I still got my Honorable. Well I guess my quick question turned into a long one but what the hell. Thanks for the help.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No problem with the "old guys." Just thank them for their service and mention you were in the Corps for four. Things will usually flow from there. If not, then drop the subject. Some may be too sick to tell sea stories (few Marines are that sick, but...) others still have painful memories they're still working out.

I was an EMT/paramedic for eight years working part-time for a private company. Sometimes the old Marine Corps background is a help. We had to convey a guy who had gone absolutely nuts and was restrained to the max. He started threatening that he used to be a Marine and when he got loose he'd kill us all. I mentioned that I too had been a Marine. His whole attitude changed and he became conversational with me. He knew the right things so I think he really had been a Marine and we actually had a nice conversation chatting about our different times in the Corps (he was a Korean War vet). My partner thought I'd hit the guy with a club and knocked him out he went so quiet. He promised me that he would behave for the staff at the mental hospital and was doing OK when we left.

A Semper Fi..... Welcome Home ........

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No problem one thing about Marines we are all equally in awe of those that went before and after us. One question though is it even possible to embarass a Marine?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

cycoe,

Zulu 36 said all that needed to be said. jinelson, glad to see you back in the mix. Where the heck have you been...??? And I agree with you can you really embarass a Marine...???

Zulu 36 hit the target,cycoe, I can't improve on what he said

Why not just say " It's an honor to meet you " ...thats what I say . I did 8 years from 82-91 served in Beirut and The Storm . I have an Uncle who served Korea and is one of the lone survivors from Pork Chop Hill..

OOoops ,,,,,,,I tell him it's an Honor every time I see him....

Offer him a drink, It may be me/ thanks for picking me up and taking me home/ Semper fi/

Whenever I find myself in the presence of another Marine, I just say, "Semper Fi, Marine." That at least opens the door to further conversation. Then, they can start flappin' their gums, if they want to.

That is all.

Whenever I find myself with another Marine, usually identified by his hat or some other item of apparel having the Marine Corps emblem on it, I just say "Semper Fi, Marine" and let things flow from there. I have had a lot of great conversations start that way.

I always thank them for their service no matter when they served (because it doesn't matter), or where they served. To me someones having served in the Corps is more than enough justification for thanks, whether they served in WWII (met one of those day before yesterday) or if they just got back from the sandbox, or just got out yesterday and never saw combat...

I too am an EMT-Paramedic and when I meet a fellow Marine, whether caring for them or meeting them on the street, "Semper Fi" is all it takes to get the ball rolling. I served for 17 years in the Corps and that training and experience has helped me tremendously in dealing with all patients.
    Semper Fi
    Poppy
    Oklahoma

SF works for me

Semper FI Marine and it usually goes from there.

"Semper Fi" is the call every Marine answers.

Thread Information