Some flag history - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Range Coach i would like a copy of the flag folding that you have along with the 13 fold. Please e-mail it to sgtrockmarine@yahoo.com. Thank you i enjoy your better than the bed sheets.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Why are you jumping on my ass? I didn't write the comment about anything that your ****ed off about! And really I don't care what you think of this opinionated SSGT. I have peoples flags on my office wall and that isn't the original discussion. You ain't screwing me or sleeping in my bed so your opine doesn't matter to me. Jump on the people who originally wrote the article or made the comment about the sheet you are referring too.. I told you I agree with your version. I was just setting the story straight. And yes you will stand down and leave me the hell alone for something that I didn't start. Don't question my patriotism about the National ensign or about this country. I also stand up for this country. But not at the expense of someone else being over zealous in their words.You need to go back to the original poster about the bedsheet comment and back off from me!

Flag Folding Ceremony

The flag folding ceremony described by the Uniformed Services is a dramatic and uplifting way to honor the flag on special days, like Memorial Day or Veteran's Day.

Here is the sequence of events...

PRELUDE:

The flag folding ceremony represents the same religious principles on which our country was originally founded [begin reading as the Honor Guard is coming forward (if performing)]. The portion of the flag denoting honor is the canton of blue containing the stars representing the states our veterans served in uniform. The canton field of blue dresses from left to right and is inverted when draped as a pall on a casket of a veteran who has served our country honorably in uniform.

In the Armed Forces of the United States, at the ceremony of retreat the flag is lowered, folded in a triangle fold and kept under watch throughout the night as a tribute to our nation's honored dead. The next morning it is brought out and, at the ceremony of reveille, run aloft as a symbol of our belief in the resurrection of the body.

PAUSE ... Wait for the Honor Guard (if performing) to unravel and fold the flag into a quarter fold -- resume reading when Honor Guard is standing ready.

The BODY:

The first fold of our flag is a symbol of life.

The second fold is a symbol of our belief in the eternal life.

The third fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veteran departing our ranks who gave a portion of life for the defense of our country to attain a peace throughout the world.

The fourth fold represents our weaker nature, for as American citizens trusting in God, it is to him we turn in times of peace as well as in times of war for His divine guidance.

The fifth fold is a tribute to our country, for in the words of Stephen Decatur, "Our country, in dealing with other countries, may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or wrong."

The sixth fold is for where our hearts lie. It is with our heart that we pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

The seventh fold is a tribute to our Armed Forces, for it is through the Armed Forces that we protect our country and our flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within or without the boundaries of our republic.

The eighth fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day, and to honor mother, for whom it flies on mother's day.

The ninth fold is a tribute to womanhood; for it has been through their faith, love, loyalty, and devotion that the character of the men and women who have made this country great have been molded.

The tenth fold is a tribute to father, for he, too, has given his sons and daughters for the defense of our country since he or she was first born.

The eleventh fold, in the eyes of a Hebrew citizen, represents the lower portion of the seal of King David and King Solomon and glorifies, in their eyes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

The twelfth fold, in the eyes of a Christian citizen, represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies, in their eyes, God the Father, the Son, and Holy Ghost.

When the flag is completely folded, the stars are uppermost, reminding us of our national motto . . . "In God We Trust."

PAUSE . . . Wait for the Honor Guard (if performing) to inspect the flag -- after the inspection resume reading.

POSTLUDE:

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the soldiers who served under General George Washington and the sailors and marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed Forces of the United States, preserving for us the rights, privileges, and freedoms we enjoy today.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    By the numbers
    1. One good ass-jumpimg deserves another
    2. I acknowledged that you didn't write the article and I appologized.
    3. Obviously you do care what I think about you.
    4. Thank God for small favors. I ain't screwing you 'cause you're not my type.
    5. It's not my version, but thanks for agreeing with it.
    6. Thanks for "setting the story straight".
    7. Yes, you did start it--refer to #6.
    8. I have no doubt or question that you are a patriot.
    9. A Marine that is over-zealous? C'mon---is that possible?

I think that the problem here is that we are both trying to verbalize the same thing, we're just going about it in two totally different ways. Where else could we do this and not be imprisoned? Where elso could you and I agree to disagree and not have a rifle shoved in our faces?

Now, Staff Sergeant, having said that, I will stand down.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sgt Tony, Since1775 has most graciously posted the article for all to see. Bill, please accept my most sincere thanks for doing so.

If I offended anyone with my post it was not my intention. I did ceremonial duty at Arlington National Cemetery for many a fallen soldier. I personally have attended well over 1000 funerals as a civilian that had military honors. I fly an American Flag by good standards. I have put it on the flag pole before going for Treatment for Cancer and when it why time to take it down in the evening I did, Sick or Not. I am an American by Birth and I am a Marine by Choice. And I flown an American Flag long before September 11 and yes it disgusts me when people burn the flag.

And when I die I will have a Military funeral. And my flag will be presented to someone that knows how to fold it. And knew I was one PROUD MARINE AND PROUD AMERICAN.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper
    You ain't screwing me or sleeping in my bed so your opine doesn't matter to me.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    21 being the sum of 1776 is the least likely of many explainations of the 21 gun salute.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Like ivalis stated, it is the least likely explanation, but mathematically, it does compute. The history of the 21 gun salute, however, is interesting. The following comes directly from the United States Marine Corps History Division:

The 21-Gun Salute
    The 21-gun salute honoring the President of the United States, like many American military traditions, appears to be another custom inherited from Great Britain. In early times, it was customary for a ship entering a friendly port to discharge its broadsides to demonstrate that they were unloaded; eventually it became a British practice to fire a seven-gun salute. The forts ashore would fire three shots for each shot fired afloat. The three guns fired on shore to one gun fired on ship had a practical explanation. In earlier days, gunpowder was made of sodium nitrate and was easier to keep on shore than at sea. When gunpowder was improved by the use of potassium nitrate, the sea salute was made equal to the shore salute. The use of numbers "seven" and "three" in early gun salutes probably was connected to the mystical or religious significance surrounding these numbers in many cultures.
    Gun salutes continue to be fired in odd numbers, of course, and this is likely because of ancient superstitions that uneven numbers are lucky. As early as 1685, the firing of an even number of guns in salute was taken as indicating that a ship's captain, master, or master gunner had died on a voyage. Indeed, the firing of an even number of salute guns at the coronation of George VI in 1937 was regarded by at least one observer as an "ominous" portent. Incidentally, the normal interval of five seconds in the firing of gun salutes likely is in order for the salute to have full auditory effect, and also to give the salute a more solemn character.
    The United States presidential salute has not always been 21 guns. In 1812 and 1821 it was the same as the number of states, i.e. 18 and 24, respectively, which was also our international salute. After 1841 the President received a salute of 21 guns and the Vice President 17; currently the Vice President receives a salute of 19 guns.
    There has evolved over the last 175 years or so a prescribed number of guns, set forth in various Army regulations, to be fired for various dignitaries in accordance with the perceived importance of their positions. On 18 August 1875, the United States and Great Britain announced an agreement to return salutes "gun for gun," with the 21-gun salute as the highest national honor.
    Today, a 21-gun salute on arrival and departure, with 4 ruffles and flourishes, is rendered to the President of the United States, to an ex-President, and to a President elect. The national anthem or "Hail to the Chief," as appropriate, is played for the President, and the national anthem for the others. A 21-gun salute on arrival and departure with 4 ruffles and flourishes also is rendered to the sovereign or chief of state of a foreign country, or a member of a reigning royal family. In these ceremonies, the national anthem of his or her country also is played.
    Incidentally, U.S. Naval Regulations require that a 21-gun salute be fired at noon on Presidents Day, Independence Day, and Memorial Day.
    Reference Section
    History and Museums Division

Thread Information