Parris Island Anyone? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by christine_06
    you'll do just fine Worsham and i bet your husband will too.
    No - SHE WILL do just fine. Hubby will be pulling his hair out!

Tougher for mom tho with missing her kids. She is a woman of courage.

shipdate

Hey yall I shipout july 10th trying to get it push up to end of June. PI here I come!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I haven't signed yet, but I know I'm going to PI because I be a girl. If I'd been a guy, I'd'a gone to San Diego, but it's PI for me!

God bless recruits,enjoy it as much as I had back in 1960 as part of the old timers.
    Good Luck on your new careers.
    Semper FI .
    SGT/Lyman

Parris Island Anyone?

How are you doing Devil Pups? Let me give it to you straight and direct as can be. Marine Corps training is Marine Corps training! Boot Camp is Boot Camp regardless where you go. I had a Drill instructor that went to Boot Camp at Parris Island. He was a Drill Instructor at San Diego. There is no difference. You want my opinion? When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton 1st Marine Division. I noticed one thing, some marines from the East Coast had a hard time running up those hills that we used to PT on. You can say what you want and believe what you want. The reality is I had no problem running in the East Cost weather and climate while I was stationed there. When you go the West Coast to any of the units out there you better be prepared to suck it up on those hills. If you get sent to Okinawa (the Rock) it is the same issue at CTA, NTA. Last but not least if you go to Korea and the Mountains or Mt Fuji in Japan you really need to be in good shape otherwise you are going to be in a world of hurt. Good Luck there Devil Pups!

Semper Fi!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JMartinez

How are you doing Devil Pups? Let me give it to you straight and direct as can be. Marine Corps training is Marine Corps training! Boot Camp is Boot Camp regardless where you go. I had a Drill instructor that went to Boot Camp at Parris Island. He was a Drill Instructor at San Diego. There is no difference. You want my opinion? When I was stationed at Camp Pendleton 1st Marine Division. I noticed one thing, some marines from the East Coast had a hard time running up those hills that we used to PT on. You can say what you want and believe what you want. The reality is I had no problem running in the East Cost weather and climate while I was stationed there. When you go the West Coast to any of the units out there you better be prepared to suck it up on those hills. If you get sent to Okinawa (the Rock) it is the same issue at CTA, NTA. Last but not least if you go to Korea and the Mountains or Mt Fuji in Japan you really need to be in good shape otherwise you are going to be in a world of hurt. Good Luck there Devil Pups!

Semper Fi!!!
    Good point - and one that I was thinking about earlier. PI is very flat, and no hills to speak of.

I thought I heard that they plowed the hills in PI to make it easier for WM's - but that could be just rumor ... GRIN. (Now I'm in trouble - lol)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Haha, very funny. Now I'm not worried anymore, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowman777
    Good point - and one that I was thinking about earlier. PI is very flat, and no hills to speak of.

I thought I heard that they plowed the hills in PI to make it easier for WM's - but that could be just rumor ... GRIN. (Now I'm in trouble - lol)
    yeah... but san diego is out but the airport... so it's pretty flat too... with the exception of Mt. Mother F***er... but hills or no hills... im good to go... cross country and track runner... im all over it...

Myself and 45 other veteran Marines are going to PI 26 April for 2 days via a charter coach. Nostalgia trip. W e were there last May also. Mt first time was 1952. (OUCH)
    Guy Hall (Maryland) Still proud to be a Marine

Marine Free Member p8ntballsnipr1's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    sounds like a lot of us pups are gonna be in the same squads

the rack ill use on the island has my a$$ 20060807

see u guys there haha

Quote Originally Posted by p8ntballsnipr1
    the rack ill use on the island has my a$$ 20060807

If thats with in the first say 3 days you wont be seeing a rack.. if i rememeber correctly we didnt sleep much for at least 2 days if not 3.. first "decent" night of sleep i got was after we got to the platoon..

p8ntballsnipr1,

I also leave on 20060807. See you there

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Shadowman - you are so full of it (big grin) - plowing hills for WMs..........kinda hard to plow a hill in a freakin' swamp!

Either place for boot camp is just as bad as the other - you got the hills on the west coast and humidity and sand fleas on the east. But all you newbies better not swat at them sand fleas - they got to eat too (according to every DI that ever caught me swattin' at them). Back when I went through we used Skin So Soft (Avon makes it) but they made us quit using it cause it doesn't let you sweat cool your body down when you run. It was damned good for them sand fleas though!

I am going to PI on 20060917
    I actually want to go, because I did here it was tougher.

Neither is tougher than the other, at least in terms of training.

Regardless of where you go you'll be following the SAME Matrix the RTR for the Depot uses. It's not Depot specific, it's Corps-wide. Granted, San Diego has changed the order of certain things, but don't worry, you'll still be tackling them.

I was at Parris Island. I think the reason PI may be viewed as 'tougher' is two-fold. One? It's the older brother. It edges MCRD San Diego out when it comes to the USMC Mythos, if only slightly. But the other reason is because it's alone in the middle of a swamp, one road in, one road out. Compare that to San Diego, which is right next to an airport and in the middle of Urban sprawl.

Don't fret though. Your Drill Instructors know EXACTLY how to make it feel like you're stuck in an alternate universe, regardless of your surroundings.

Swamps and Sand Fleas?
    Hills and Hollywood?

It doesn't matter. The equation equals MARINE. End of story.

Thread Information