How do you get Back in - Page 3
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    humanitarian ..kinda like getting transferred due to family problems

Question Re-3c

I was discharged in 1999 with an Honorable Discharge due to a medical issue (NO NJP'S,PROBLEMS, OR DISCIPLINARY ISSUES OF ANY KIND). The medical issue is no longer present and I was recently told it might be possible to re-enlist in the Reserves. Upon speaking with a Prior Service Recruiter, I was informed that my reenlistment code was an RE-3C. I was never aware of what an RE code was and what it signified until now.

I am starting the process of trying to get the RE code changed. Has anyone here gone through this either with Headquarters Marine Corps or the Board of Naval Record Corrections? What is the success rate usually on a case like this? Any idea on a time frame? Any help or advice is much appreciated.

I got my 3C changed thru HQMC with out a problem.. Literally called and submitted a faxed letter stating the humanitarian situation had resolved itself.. and that was it.. With medical I would assume that it is a little more difficult to change but should be the same basically provide proof that the problem is resolved and that should rectify the situation,...

In addition you can join the National Guard and some other branches with a 3c as long as the character statement on the 214 says that you completed your contract or something along those line...

Semper Fi
    Jon Hays
    2LT SC VaANG
    USMC 1998-2005

Quote Originally Posted by VaMarine View Post

In addition you can join the National Guard and some other branches with a 3c as long as the character statement on the 214 says that you completed your contract or something along those lines
    I could never do that. No offense to the other branches and the National Guard. All my fellow Jarhead buddies I work with would NEVER forgive me.....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by devildog817 View Post
    good evening devildogs im a young pup who got a Medical Dicharged very early in my carreer i heard rumors that i can get back in and i heard rumors that im SOL i was rated 30% by the va and i just wondering is it possible to get back in oh yah im on the tdrl list and re code in 3p thanks Semper fi
    Delvildog817, I had an RE3P, had service connected dis with VA at 0%. I reinlisted after 911,The navy docs said they were not satisfied my condition would not be made worst and said no. Well at the time I just wanted back in the service so I hit the Army, not my corps but As A New Yorker I wanted in. I was set and back in sevice and due to that anger I went from mobile at 0% to pain management and at the door of 50%.
    Now You can reinlist only if medicaly cleared, you will be requiered to pay back every penny you recieved from the VA. So depending on how long you have been collecting your 30% from the VA you may want to reevaluate the whole thing and make sure that your condition is compleatly squared away.
    Good luck and Semper Fi

Devil, Im a former USMC recruiter(2004-2007) and If you have been getting 30% disability pay, you would have to pay it all back prior to joining again. Just go see your local Recruiter, ANY recruiter, it does NOT have to be a prior service recruiter. Semper Fi

Sgt. S

Question Re-3c

Since posting my last, I was talking to a buddy of mine who is in the Army National Guard. I told him about my issues with my RE-3C and he suggested I join the National Guard, do one year on a "trial" program they have, get out with a better RE code, and head back to the Corps.

I can't believe I am actually thinking of this, but if it will eventually bring me back in the Corps it would be worth it. My question is.....has anyone heard of doing something along these lines or know anyone who has spent some time in another branch after the Corps? I don't know if I could bring myself to join another branch........any help/info/advice is MUCH appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by fjmas1976 View Post
    Since posting my last, I was talking to a buddy of mine who is in the Army National Guard. I told him about my issues with my RE-3C and he suggested I join the National Guard, do one year on a "trial" program they have, get out with a better RE code, and head back to the Corps.

I can't believe I am actually thinking of this, but if it will eventually bring me back in the Corps it would be worth it. My question is.....has anyone heard of doing something along these lines or know anyone who has spent some time in another branch after the Corps? I don't know if I could bring myself to join another branch........any help/info/advice is MUCH appreciated.

I have heard of this before. It is a long process because you do have to join the guard for one year then get the release from the irr after, then join the Corps again. It can be done, but its a very long process. I knew of someone that did this, but he ended up staying in the guard because he was getting promoted very fast.

Has anyone here with a disability rating gone back in and paid the VA back?

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggles View Post
    Goos luck, I am trying to go back in myself. what about cutting score, does that stay the same?

you don't rate a cutting score killer... you're a Sgt... you get FitReps.

Quote Originally Posted by slimmy07 View Post
    Devil, Im a former USMC recruiter(2004-2007) and If you have been getting 30% disability pay, you would have to pay it all back prior to joining again. Just go see your local Recruiter, ANY recruiter, it does NOT have to be a prior service recruiter. Semper Fi

Sgt. S

I've never heard of this, and I'm disabled... you don't pay it back you just stop getting it.

they don't count the time you were out as time in service and you were a veteran so you rate that pay... I'll call my VA rep and verify this but I think you are talking craziness.

otherwise I'd have to pay close to 40,000 to get back in... yeah right.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Petzold View Post
    I've never heard of this, and I'm disabled... you don't pay it back you just stop getting it.

they don't count the time you were out as time in service and you were a veteran so you rate that pay... I'll call my VA rep and verify this but I think you are talking craziness.

I can tell you I have gone through this after 9-11. The only reason I didn't have to pay back anything is because I was rated service connect @ 0 % so I had collected nothing to pay back. That came from both the staff NCOIC of the recruting center and my veterans rep when I had ck'ed to verify the information I was given.
    So unless something has changed since then, and a recruter that ended his tour as a recruter in 07 rules changed since then. Crazyness you may think, But you can try to go back and hope you dont have to pay it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Petzold View Post

Trust me, I was on recruiting duty for 3 years (2004-2007) so I THINK I HAVE AN IDEA AND EXPERIENCE ABOUT WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. I actually tried to put some former Marine back in who had 30% disability and the word that came back down was, that they had to pay back all their disability pay. One former Marine that wanted to get back in was going to have to pay OVER 45,000 to get back in. He chose not to join.

Quote Originally Posted by slimmy07 View Post
    Trust me, I was on recruiting duty for 3 years (2004-2007) so I THINK I HAVE AN IDEA AND EXPERIENCE ABOUT WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT. I actually tried to put some former Marine back in who had 30% disability and the word that came back down was, that they had to pay back all their disability pay. One former Marine that wanted to get back in was going to have to pay OVER 45,000 to get back in. He chose not to join.
    Does this apply to both Active Duty and Reserves? That's a big chunk of change to throw down.

Last edited by fjmas1976; 08-02-08 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quote Originally Posted by fjmas1976 View Post
    Does this apply to both Active Duty and Reserves? That's a big chunk of change to throw down.
    Are you asking if I put in both active and reserve? If so yes. If your asking if its the same for both active and reserve...well yes. They are both the Marine Corps. You still have to go through the same MEPS process. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ACTIVE AND RESERVE, EXCEPT ONE IS PART TIME AND ONE IS FULL TIME. What Im trying to say is they are both MARINES.

Thread Information