Young Marine leader earns national salute
By Linda McIntosh
UNION-TRIBUNE COMMUNITY NEWS WRITER
January 4, 2006

CAMP PENDLETON – Alyssa Mangabay joined the Young Marines seven years ago, intent on becoming like her dad.

"He is strong and tough and knows what he is doing," Alyssa said of her father, a retired gunnery sergeant.

Alyssa, 17, attended a Young Marines boot camp at age 10 and stuck with the rigorous training and orientation because she knew it would pay off.

She started out as a private and worked her way up to the top rank of sergeant major.

She is one of the success stories of the Camp Pendleton unit of the Young Marines, a nationwide program sponsored by the Marine Corps to build character, develop leadership skills and promote a healthy, drug-free lifestyle.

Alyssa was named 2005 Young Marine of the Year out of more than 10,000 young people across the country. She was selected for her exemplary leadership and participation in unit activities, along with her academic achievement and community service and the goals she has in mind for the Young Marines, including getting more youths involved in the program.

Alyssa has flown across the United States, giving speeches to schools and civic groups, while serving as national spokeswoman for the program.

She wasn't always so confident.

When she joined the program, she didn't like public speaking.

"I was shy and I didn't want to mess up in front of everyone," she said.

She recalled leading a Young Marines class when she was 11 and forgetting her lines.

But the program leaders built her confidence.

"They told me, 'You can do it,' " she said.

Now Alyssa does that for others.

On an typical Saturday, she is at Camp Pendleton in uniform with 100 youngsters and volunteer leaders. She helps supervise drills and troop inspections and encourages Young Marines as they run through obstacle courses, swim and take classes in areas such as leadership, CPR, orienteering and drug education.

"She was always a go-getter but when she became a drill instructor that got her going in leadership, and now she influences the new recruits and they look up to her," said Keith Sheffield, a retired master gunnery sergeant who serves as commanding officer of the Camp Pendleton Young Marines. He is Division 6 commander for the western states.

When Alyssa joined the group she liked the activities, but now she says she's there for the other Young Marines.

"When I see someone who is headed down the wrong path and they achieve something better, that's the reward," she said.

Aside from Young Marines, Alyssa has been involved in helping disabled children ride horses at Ivey Ranch Park in Oceanside and painting buildings at an orphanage in Tecate, Mexico. She also has tutored students at Stuart Mesa Elementary School on base.

She has been selected to attend numerous leadership conferences, including the Hugh O'Brian Youth World Leadership Congress, the California Girls State program hosted by the American Legion Auxiliary and the Rotary Youth Leadership Awards Conference.

Alyssa is at the top of her class at Oceanside High School and holds a stack of awards, including the 2005 President's Award for Educational Achievement and a Chargers Champions Scholarship.

"Her work ethic is unbelievable," said Richard Good, her science teacher for three years at Oceanside High.

Alyssa received a Bausch & Lomb Honorary Science Award this year and is president of the Advanced Placement Club at her school. She hopes for a career in medicine.

"I had my dad to look up to and if I could be that for one person, it would all be worth it," she said.

Alyssa, the oldest of five children, also credits her mother for doing a great job raising the family and instilling values, especially when she had to take charge while Alyssa's father was deployed overseas.

For information about the Young Marines, call (951) 672-0878 or see www.youngmarines.com.

Ellie