Jarhead The Movie - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Gary,
    I read the book too but the actors and directers didnt really follow it at all. The constant whinning is not present and it portrays things as they are in real life. I think Jamie Foxx did an outstanding job of acting in it. And yes the Oceanside 16 does have 16 screens and Jarhead was on 6 of them.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks, Jim.

Credits
    Savings
    I saw the movie a few days ago. It was alright, kind of misleading. Some of it was totally off, while other parts were pretty right on. An example was the boot camp scene. I just got out of boot camp 2 months ago, I was waiting and waiting for that DI to go off on that recruit, but he never did. He didn't yell, he "talked". The squadbay looked totally off, and there is no big chalk board. Sorry for being so analytical, I can't help it. But Jamie Foxx did a good job of representing a platoon sergeant, can't come much closer than that. Personally, I think there should of been more blood and guts, but the point of the movie was probably to show more of what's it's really like in Iraq, not everyone sees blood and guts. That's my view on the movie, in all, it was pretty good, I would go see it again (today actually), and I will buy the DVD.

Last edited by Lorix; 11-10-05 at 03:17 PM. Reason: misspelled word, bad grammer

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    This is actually good news that the movie is unlike the book. The book totally turned me off -- his constant whining got on my nerves. Definitely will watch Jarhead tonight, a good thing to do on Marine Corps bday, oorrah.

I honestly don't know how to feel about this movie. I got a bias opinion before watching it, do to the remarks I heard from the book. There were times when I laughed, and other times when I was disgusted. There was a man that I assumed to be a former Marine leave the theatre before the ending credits came up. He looked pretty upset and yelled out "INSULTING!" then walked out. I could understand his point of view by the way the movie seemed to picture Marines as nothing but killers. I also read in a forum somewhere that a high School student thinking about joining the Marines was going to go watch the movie with his parents to get a better idea at what the marine corps is about. I don't know what his parents are going to tell him after seeing this movie. I'm undecided and probably will watch it again when it comes out on DVD before I make my final decision. Kudos to Jaime Foxx though. He did a great job!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Having read the book (two thumbs down) and after watching the movie, I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised and satisfied that it was so different from the book. I recommend the movie. It will be a keeper in my DVD collection. Jamie Foxx was pretty good, and so the actor that portrayed Swoff. While some of the stuff was a little off (boot camp scenes), other things were right on the money. The only thing though that somewhat bothered me was that at the beginning you cannot help but compare it with Full Metal Jacket, and there's no one like Gunny Ermey on film, in my opinion. Other than that, enjoy the show.

Lorix:
    "An example was the boot camp scene. I just got out of boot camp 2 months ago"
    You can't compare the squadbay from 2 months ago with the squadbay from 1991, just as I can't compare the squadbay from 1991 against what I experienced in 1979 and others experienced at other times. We never had a "big chalk board" in '79 just as you didn't see one in the movie, and we had a DI that explained things in a whisper (which was a MUCH better attention getter than yelling, especially when he was in your face). Training materials, methods and processes change as concepts are tried, adopted, and even discarded. I'm not saying the Boot Camp scene was period correct (I wouldn't know), but unless you lived it at that time or have knowledge of what it was like then, you can't judge it. Remember, the only three things that are guaranteed are death, taxes and change.
    I didn't see the movie yet, but plan to as soon as the 1 screen theater in my little "burg" brings it in.

Going to see the movie today.

If it is as good as my favorite "Full Metal Jacket" I will let you know.

My Platoon Cmdr. said he believes the movie was primarily made to discredit everything that troops are saying to the media about the war right now in Iraq, because most of the stuff you hear from troops is positive, them saying they want to be doing this and they support Bush and the war and all that stuff. He says that scene where the STA Marines are told what to say to the media and are forcibly censored is just an attempt to make everyone who watches the movie think that all the troops over there are lying and are being told what to say.

I also just saw "JARHEAD" when I got home my wife asked what I thought of it? All I could think of was "Right the F*(&k On!!" I thought it was great. A number of emotions ran through me as I watched the show.

NamJarhead

I saw the movie yesterday and these are my feelings about it.

I am really hoping that my Marine Corps has not turned into what I witnessed on the screen. The only part i thought was portrayed as the real deal was the opening scene with the D.I. raising hell. Everything after that was B.S. as far as I am concerned. When the war was over and the troops were partying and firing their rifles into the air was a real farce. Arguing with orders was another bad fault that i witnessed in this movie. Also, during my 20 years in the Corps I never saw a Corporal go after a Major as was portrayed in the movie. If things like this are going on these in my beloved Corps, then some changes need to be made very quickly. This movie was like a chinese fire drill and I came within an inch of walking out of the theatre. Maybe it is because I am a Korean/Nam era Marine and during the time in the Corps you did what you were told to do and you acted like adult Marines or someone would lock and load on you.

Up until now, Heartbreak Ridge was the worst USMC movie I had seen. This Jarhead movie is a discrace to my Corps and Country.

Oh Yea, after the movie I watched the credits on screen and not once did I see where there was a Marine Crops advisor. OK, I'm done ranting.

By the way. Don't all USMC Movies play the Marine Corps Hymn at least once during the movie? I did not hear it played at any time during this movie and thats a real shame. By now, I guess you tell I hated this movie.

Old Marine,

Your not alone. I went to see a movie about Marines and ended up watching a pre-schooler dressed up like a Marine pizzing and moaning for 2 hours. Without swoff I probably would have liked it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs down

My wife and I went to see the Jarhead Movie, in fact it was her idea. I was embarrased by some of the scenes in the head toward when Swoford found out Jody had been with his girl. In my opinion I wasted the price of two tickets to see it. Although pretty much authentic in details. I don't think that it portrais the Marine Corps in a possitive light. Not that everyday life is all peaches and creame either but this gives the wrong impression to me. Jamie Foxx did a very good portrail of a platoon sgt, were as a corporal would never, atleast in my Marines Corps as defiant to a field grade officer such as a Major.

Thread Information