Not enough credits to graduate early from HS
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member ramon99762's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Not enough credits to graduate early from HS

hello, my name is Ramon. I recently signed up and im on the DEP. My dilema is that I'm supposed to be graduating from HS a semester early and then ship out to boot. They are scheduling my ship out date so that i get to come home and walk with my class during my 10 day leave. My problem is that im not sure if i'll be able to graduate early because i'll be a few credits shy from graduating. Would it be really difficult to reschedule my SOD until I finish HS or what? Am will this be my fault or is there nothing that my recruiter can do but just wait for me to graduate? I'm kinda stuck, if someone out there could please help me and give me some info on how common or uncommon rescheduling is. I'd really appreciate it, thanks.

Maybe, you can get the school to set you up with a night course so you can complete school on time. Talk to your counsellor, he should have all the scoop on Adult courses in your area. If you want something, you have to work for it, there is no easy ride, and, if you want something bad enough, you will get it at any cost.

Registered User Free Member Gunny McMillan's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    As far as I know, you can't even ship to boot unless you graduate high school anyway.

my question is, how could you sign up saying you were gonna grad at semester, and then not have enough credits to do so?

anyway, as far as changing your ship date goes, you won't really have much of a choice, and neither will your recruiter unless you actually do graduate at semester as planned.

Because of the change in your ship date, as far as I know, this could also have an effect on what MOS you will be doing, because of different times that the schools start.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    ramon99762,

Let me get this straight. You have enough credits to graduate with your regular graduation next spring correct? If so just take some extra credits or night classes like Joseph P Carey stated

ok heres the deal...u CAN graduate early so that u can ship to boot...b/c u really do graduate HS. then just for show u'll come back for the grad. ceremony and instead of wearing a robe ur supposed to wear ur dress blues. as far as the possibility of u not graduating in time, the Marines don't have a choice of whether or not to let u ship out on a diff. date or not...b/c u HAVE to have ur HS diploma. but if i were u i'd do WHATEVER i possibally could to graduate at midterm so that u don't start off by leaving a bad impression. idk they may even temporarily discharge you...not sure. you'll have to talk to your recruiter.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Is grammer still a required credit for graduation on time or early graduation? jus wunderin .....

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

Credits
    Savings
    Well when we were figuring out my credits last school year, my counselor said that i would be able to graduate early. But when school started this year, i found out that I still would end up being a few credits shy for early graduation. What makes it harder is that i live in a small as town in the middle of nowhere Alaska. There are no "nigh" classes availabe, its just what the school offers. I guess I'm pretty much screwed cause i cant graduate early without taking the required classes for gradution that the school board has set.

There are High Schools out there that offer online courses that you can take to get credits. Ask your counselor if this is a possiblilty. Another option that High Schools offer is getting a teacher who would be willing to teach you a class after hours to get your credits, although this could cost some money. Talk to your counselor about this also. Depending on the credits you need you could talk to the teacher directly, although the final approval is usually done through your high school.

Credits
    Savings
    I just called my recruiter, he's gonna have to discharge me at the end of this month and re enlist me again for a later Ship Out Date. He told me not to worry about that he might have rushed signing me up. Thanks for everyone's feedback though. I'll still be a Marine, i guess now i just gotta wait 4 months more.

Stick it out Kid, You'll get there. The most important thing is that you get your education first! It is nice to talk old Marine stories with other old Marines, but it is most important that you are able to earn a living when you are not in the Corps. Education does that for you. Read everything you can read! Learn everything you can learn! Be reborn everyday!

I think it was Bob Dylan that said it best, "...if you aren't busy being born, you're busy dying!"

Thread Information