Disbanding the Marine Corps - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Disband the Corps? ............. I don't think so, it might take a "little tweaking" to the U.S. Constitution (See exerpts from same below). It has been a tradition that Navies throughout history have always been manned by Sailors and Combat Personnel (Marines).

" Clauses 11, 12, 13, and 14. The Congress shall have power *** ;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marqe and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water.

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years.

To provide and maintain a Navy.

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces. "

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Wow, this thread is a golden moldy.
    Ha, wait till you get to 'The Art of Spit Shining'.

It's older than this one.

Heck everytime the war is winding down or they are talking save money or realing the services thy are talking do away with the corps but the army and the airforce cant do the same thing because they are two different forces not one theat has both air and ground under a single command

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    the usmc was never intended to be a large ground force. seems like they have just
    evolved into one.

For another book that briefly touches on the attempt to disband the Marine Corps during that period, check out First to Fight by Lt. Gen. Victor Krulak.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine65 View Post
    An interesting book to read on this subject is "The First To Fight," by Lt Gen Victor H. Krulak.

I just saw your reply. You beat me to the punch.

Some DORK in DC is always wanting to disband the Corps. Not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lyons View Post
    My neice is attending college in Tennessess. Her instructor told her that there was a plan to disband the Marine Corps during WWII but due to the battle of Iwo Jima the Marine Corps was saved. I know there were a couple times in history when there was a movement to abolish the Corps but I really doubt what her history instructor told her.

Has anyone every heard of this or know of any documentation of it.
    Semper Fi
    Ken Lyons
    I think there is just a little confusion here. What really happened was that when one high official saw the flag atop Suribachi, he made the comment that the event would guarantee the existance of the Corps for another five hundred years. I don't believe there was any plans to disband the Corps;.

Bob Alllen
    B128

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc987332 View Post
    I think there is just a little confusion here. What really happened was that when one high official saw the flag atop Suribachi, he made the comment that the event would guarantee the existance of the Corps for another five hundred years. I don't believe there was any plans to disband the Corps;.

Bob Alllen
    B128
    There was indeed a plan after WWII in 1947 when Truman was re-organizing the military (making DoD, creating the Air Force, etc). He wanted to fold the Corps into the Army. But during Congressional hearings on the matter, Congress was so lambasted by Marines, Marine supporters, and the media, that the idea was given up.

This incident caused the infamous comment from Truman that the Marine Corps had a propaganda machine the equal of Stalin's.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    There was indeed a plan after WWII in 1947 when Truman was re-organizing the military (making DoD, creating the Air Force, etc). He wanted to fold the Corps into the Army. But during Congressional hearings on the matter, Congress was so lambasted by Marines, Marine supporters, and the media, that the idea was given up.

This incident caused the infamous comment from Truman that the Marine Corps had a propaganda machine the equal of Stalin's.
    Sorry, I should have said not at the time of IWO. Yes, after the war and at the time of reorganization, many things were discussed. At the time of Iwo we did have a rift with the Hearst newspapers, but there was no official plans to disband the Marine Corps. Truman did not become president until after Iwo.

When the Unified Code of Military Justice was created, it makes sense that we would have questioned the need for two infantry forces. I believe the Marine Corps still exists.

Bob Allen
    B128

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by troop901 View Post
    Well, Eleanor Roosevelt was a very well known hater of the Marine Corps and wanted her husband to disband them, seems a Marine had his way with one of her relatives. Now when Eleanor died and went to heaven, she arrived at the pearly gates where she met St. Peter. St. Peter said, Eleanor, we have been expecting you, go right on in. Eleanor said, wait a minute, before I go in I need to ask you a question, is there any Marines in heaven, because I dont like Marines and I will not enter if they are here. St. Peter looked at her and said, well, ofcourse there are no Marines in heaven, she said, ok, but you better not be lying to me, he said, I am St. Peter, I dont lie. So she entered into heaven. A few days later St. Peter heard a blood curdling scream and saw Eleanor come running out, he asked her what was wrong, she said, you lied to me. He said, I am St. Peter, I never lie, she said, well, you lied to me, you told me there were no Marines in Heaven, St. Peter looked at her and said, I did not lie, there are no Marines here. She said, well, you lied this time cause I just saw a Marine walking down the street in full dress blues. St. Peter laughed and said, no, that wasnt a Marine, that was God, he just likes to think he is a Marine.
    Now wait just one minute here. What about Capt. Roosevelt USMC XOR of one of the radder bns. Her son. What about Eleanor's famous quoits about Marines? Ike did not want Marines in Europe but he had some working with the OSS the four runner of the CIA.

Trumans only probem........

He was in the Army in WWI
    Yet as President
    He was Commander in Chief
    So that made him a "Wannabee" Marine
    And that ate him up....

Semper Fi
    SGT DDS

Yep !

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300 View Post
    The Marine Corps is the world's 911 force, and has sealed their legacy as such. There may be talk, suggestions, recommendations, etc., by those who have never served in the Marine Corps, to disband the Marine Corps, or merge with the Army, but that talk quickly turns to scuttlebutt and embarrasses those who even consider the thought.

When you're the finest, screw the humility. We are the best, period.
    Truer words were never spoken...Ooooh-rah

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ridingcrops View Post
    I heard Harry Trunman hated the Corps because a Marine dumped his daughter and that was the way he was going to get even with the Corps.
    If my memory is correct. Trumans daughter was jilted by a Marine Corps Captain. Afterwards Truman said the Marine Corps was nothing more than a bunch of over paid, over sexed, professional killers.

Thread Information