PRESIDENT BUSH, [Stood Up For His Soldiers]
Create Post

By Ken Hughes

It’s been a long time since a president stood up for the Soldiers first and practiced diplomacy second. I’m disappointed the president apologized to the Italians, they should be apologizing to us. George Bush is a polite man and that’s what polite men do apologize. Unlike his predecessors, he means it and doesn’t let it stand in the way of his resolve. George Bush can have sympathy for the deaths in the incident and still know who’s to blame for the incident.

If I were to speculate [that’s what op-eds are about, speculation] I would say the driver of the vehicle transporting Ms. Giuliana Sgrena to the Baghdad Airport was given orders to blow the army checkpoint. The Italian Officer in charge was probably euphoric. They assumed they were invincible; they had just preformed a spectacular accomplishment. Not understanding the real purpose of the American Soldiers in Iraq, to protect. The officer in charge gave the order to go on and not stop. In Europe Soldiers watch crime and don’t get involved, Americans get involved.

Now the Italians want someone to pay, fine let Ms. Sgrena pay. As a war correspondent, she had no expectation of special treatment. The Italians had no authority to negotiate a ransom payment for her rescue without consulting the Americans first. They should play by our rules, it’s our war.

The president said Ms. Sgrena’s accusation she was targeted is absurd.
    It’s more than that it’s a neo-libs attempt to play politics with an unfortunate incident. There’ll be many liberals demanding we get to the bottom of this incident. Our soldiers got to the bottom of it when they shot the driver and stopped the vehicle, end of story. I have little feeling for those who put others in harms way and whine about the results when it in-convinces them.

I sympathize with our troops, havening to fight a politically correct war with a barbaric enemy. Civility in combat is an oxymoron, the purpose of combat is to kill people and break things until there is no one left to kill and nothing left to break. Only then should the rebuilding and negation process start.

UN Peacekeeper in the Congo are spreading [AIDS] to thousands, killing thousands and not a word said. Each bullet fired in Afghanistan and Iraq is questioned and demanded to be accounted for. It’s time for President Bush to say enough is enough, tell the liberals at home and the dissenters abroad to put up or shut up. Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way. Liberals whine [they don’t like us] so what, we don’t think much of them either.

Bill Maher says peace, is never found at the end of the barrel of a gun. It’s never found at the point of a pen, that’s for sure. First comes war then comes peace, I didn’t make the rules they’ve always been there.

More Americans die of drugs, obesity, cancer, automobile accidents than die in combat. We bemoan those who die on the battlefield [as we should] and pay little attention to those who die here at home. It’s as though a death on the battlefield is more heinous that a death from drugs, cancer, or a drunk druiver.

Politicians cleverly pick those topics that will garner them the most votes. Who it effects in unimportant to the politician, reelection is their goal not service to their country.

I venture to guess if the terrorists agreed to stop the war, and the terror and agree to join in democracy if the entire US congress would resign their seats and go home. The war would likely go on for the next hundred years. It’s more about politics than war with some in and out of congress.

The shooting on the road to the Baghdad airport, although unfortunate was necessary. No blame should be attached to the soldiers who did their duty. Anyone who blames those men is as undisciplined as is possible for a person to be.

Our military stand their posts weighted down with heavy combat gear, in unbearable heat under the worst conditions possible. Our politicians expect them to outperform the diplomats at the UN. The Soldiers, Sailors, Marines, and Airman who serve this country have my complete respect and admiration.

If you wish to reply, e-mail ken-hughes@comcast.net

Ellie

Travelling right now, looking for a new home
    Credits
    Savings

Smile

I believe Mr. Hughes is on to something. I salute 'im.

Excellent! I concur!

Thread Information