Iraqi Elections?
Create Post
    snipowsky
    Guest Free Member

Iraqi Elections?

What's your take on the Iraqi elections? Will they even happen or not? And is Iraq headed for civil war and if so what should the US do?

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    I think the elections, on time, will depend on the Iraqi people themselves.
    IF, the general populace will stand up and put an end to the insurgents, then yes, it could happen. But it will take the ENTIRE NATION making that stance, decision to act.
    Otherwise, no ... probably won't happen.

Civil war,
    I think we SHOULD stay out of it, but know we won't. The standing officials, which we support, will ask for our help, and the rest of the world will say it's OUR fault, so we should stop it.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Take a country that - prior to WW I - was composed of tribes, each with its own leaders and laws - then let the Brits pick out one guy to be king, who would be supported by Brit money, military and colonial governors through the period of WW II- add the reign of Saddam Hussein and the Ba'athists for more than 40 years - and you expect the folks to have successful elections?

I think not - and I am afraid that the elections will lead to more internal problems and more American lives in jeapordy - you can't force democracy down the throats of people who have no concept it it and the work it requires to keep it.

Just bring our men home and let the Iraqis figure it out for themselves.

Thread Information