Iwakuni Marines punished for violating liberty policy
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cool Iwakuni Marines punished for violating liberty policy

Iwakuni Marines punished for violating liberty policy

By Greg Tyler, Stars and Stripes
    Pacific edition, Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Iwakuni Marine Corps Air Station officials hit at least 25 Marines from Headquarters and Headquarters Squadron in the pocketbook at a recent public nonjudicial punishment session after finding the Marines violated the base's liberty policy.

The Marines, ranging from private first class to lance corporal, violated Article 92 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice the weekend of Oct. 29 by drinking while underage, not having a liberty buddy or being off base during restricted hours, said Master Sgt. Lesli Coakley, a base spokeswoman, late Monday afternoon.

The public NJP session took place Nov. 3 at Building 1, the base headquarters. The more than 25 Marines waived their right to a court-martial and accepted NJP, she added, saying the exact number wasn't available.

Punishment includes 60 days' restriction, reduction in grade and forfeiture of half a month's pay for two months, but suspended for one month, a base news report stated.

None of the Marines was charged with incidents involving Japanese locals. The infractions were limited to underage drinking and liberty violations, Coakley said.

"This public hearing was not used to embarrass the Marines but to show that the squadron is not doing the things they are supposed to be doing," Maj. James Lukehart, H&HS executive officer and acting commanding officer, said after the session, according to the report. "We know there are ways around the rules and policies, but we are trusting you to conduct yourselves like Marines. The rules apply to everyone."

The Marines apologized for "any embarrassment brought to the command, their staff noncommissioned officers and their fellow Marines," the report added.

After Lukehart spoke, Sgt. Maj. Roland J. Daniel of H&HS excused the Marines, except for the noncommissioned officers of H&HS. According to the report, he asked the young H&HS leaders, "When was the last time you checked on your Marines?"

"The majority of the Marines receiving NJP have not been here longer than three months. That tells me we are not taking care of our own," stated Daniel in the report. "Some of the NCOs don't even know where their own roommates are, let alone their Marines."

He then warned the Marines.

"We are all very tired of it and we are not going to be baby-sitting anymore. The command will throw the book at you," he said in the report. Daniel also told the NCOs to "be smart when you leave the gate and take care of your Marines," the report stated. "It's not hard. But instead, we have too many selfish Marines here and that has to change."

Ellie

geeze i cant believe this now where gonna jump on our men for underage drinking ?? HELLO Major lukhart you dumb **** you ask my young men and woman to die for my country and you wont let them have a beer. Get a life Major lukhart now well see just how fast these men back your ass when it comes down to a real life and death deal.. you can bet the NCOs are not happy about this clown..

Angry

This major james lukehart sounds like a Frank Burns (the idiot Major in MASH) clone. I would think he would have more important stuff to do like emtpying trash cans, etc. I read it that he was put "in charge" and wanted to make an impression on somebody. This is almost as bad as when I was in Vietnam and came in from the field and some baby Lieutenant told me to get my boots shined. I won't repeat what I said but I didn't shine my boots. I was probably out of line but spit-shined boots in combat - give me a break.

I agree with hrscowboy on this one. If our Marines can die for our country they can surely have a frigging beer.

"NUFF SAID (Maybe this major burns, I mean Lukehart, can play grunt some time).

SEMPER FI
    Ole Sarg

Angry

NOT THE 1ST & NOT THE LAST,BUT CERTAINLY THE NEWEST IN
    THE LONG LINE OF DUMMIES WHO ISSUE SUCH STUPID ORDERS--WHAT IMAGES OR UNIT COHESION ARE AFFECTED BY THESE LADS HAVING A FEW COLD ONES----WHAT IS TO BE GAINED BY THIS---DOES SPECIAL SERVICES STILL HAVE BEER BUSTS & COOK -OUTS OR IS IT MILK,COKE & PEANUT BUTTER/JELLY
    SANDWICHES

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A short conversation three weeks ago:

Col. Hough: "Are you old enough to drink son?"

Me: "No sir."

Col. Hough: "Damn, I should've figured."

Not saying one way or another, but perhaps there's a misplacement of priorities when it comes to the Marine Corps Policy on alcohol. I also know that the cash bar at the ball didn't card a single Marine there.

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    One of the last classes I attended on Active Duty was a course that taught NCOs how to teach young Marines how to to drink. Sounds stupid at first, but all in all, you have to look at the statistics.

Young Marines don't have any formal training on drinking. They have plenty of formal combat training.

In the year 2000, a total of 41,821 people were killed in traffic crashes in America, and 16,653 (or about 40%) of those fatalities involved alcohol. A large number of those were military.

By the Pentagon's count, 1,139 Americans have died in Iraq since the U.S.-led invasion in March 2003. Under 2,000 people have died in combat related deaths since Vietnam.

Twenty-one percent of service members admit to drinking heavily -- a statistic the military hasn’t managed to lower in 20 years

Speaking only in terms of medical care and lost time at work, alcohol abuse costs DoD more than $600 million each year, said Navy Capt. Robert Murphy, a medical corps officer. DoD spends another $132 million a year to care for babies with fetal alcohol syndrome -- sometimes-serious health problems related to their mothers’ heavy drinking.

Recent civilian studies have turned up some frightening statistics. Thirty-one percent of all occupational injuries are alcohol-related, as are 23 percent of suicides and 32 percent of homicides.

It’s not the use, it’s alcohol abuse that gets people into trouble.
    The problem is that young Marines want to drink because "it's cool" or because they are away from momma and daddy for the first time.

They need to learn how to drink. And you won't get a damn one of them to admit they have no freaking clue on how to drink. They can't belly up to the bar and have a few beers, they have to belly up to the keg and have a few funnels poured down their throats.

The law also plays a factor. You have to be 21 to drink. Corps Values - Honor, Courage, & Commitment. If we turn a blind eye to underage drinking, where do we draw the line. Should we turn a blind eye to suspended licenses, illegal firearms, upaid child support, drugs, etc.. just because these idiots can die for their country?

Young Marines who do it "right" now will do it "better" tomorrow. They'll make better leaders - and best of all, they'll be alive to tell us about it.

This is a classic case of "Your damned if you do, and your damned if you don't."
    25 Marines did things that are covered by Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ), like enviro said;
    "If we turn a blind eye to underage drinking, where do we draw the line."
    We might also have to include being off base during restricted hours.
    This next one is only common sense;
    Not having a liberty buddy while on liberty, that liberty buddy is suppose to look out for you.
    You would have to return the favor.
    Yet we would be remissed if we did not state that some have gotten in trouble with a liberty buddy or buddies.
    They state Article 92 of the UCMJ, they could also be charged under Article 134 of the UCMJ.
    Ole Sarge, I had a clone of your Lt. clone of Frank Burns but this clone was a Lt.Col,
    The Lt.Col on us part of the battalion returning from the bush after nine days out;
    "You People are DIRTY, DIRTY, from now on I want all of you to carry shoe polish and brasso."
    "You will shine your boots and polish your brasso before coming through the gate."
    At that moment, he was addressing the leadership of the battalion, Officers, and Non-Commisioned Officers.
    We just looked at one other and almost said out loud;
    "Does this fool even know what we're facing?"
    That enemy would give you time for any of that BS.
    He had just taken over the battalion after Lt.Col Archie Van Winkle USMC had got relief of command because his supply officer failed to have a lot our supplies waterproofed, resulting in a loss of much of our battalion gear.
    Officers and Non-Commisioned Officers are in charge of the unit that they are assigned, morale is important, but they are equally responsibile for the unit obeying and carrying out what covered under the UCMJ and the rules of their respected unit.
    Sometimes leaders not seen doing a thing that is popular, but that not the responsibilty of the leadership...they're suppose to make sure that rules and laws are obeyed.
    So your damned if you do, and your damned if you don't.
    Might also save some from writting letters of condolences to griefing parents or spouse...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
    Ricardo

:-(
    Dang meant to say;
    "You will shine your boots and polish your brass before coming through the gate."
    How did that "o" get at the end of brass?

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
    Ricardo

:-(
    Another mistake, here's the correction;
    That enemy won't give you time for any of that BS.
    Sorry...

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
    Ricardo

PS
    That was just after returning from Operation Medina, where Hotel 2/1 loss a lot members of the company up north in I Corp...

Sgt. Smitty
    Guest Free Member
    I was 19 the first time i hit Nam, and no friggin way in hell was anyone gonna tell me i couldn't have a friggin beer if i wanted one. It ain't happenin! But these Marines we not in a combat situation and should abide by the rules of the Corps, period!

I am going to step on some toes with this post. I work in the CStore at Camp Lejune in a normal week we sell at least 4 tractor trailer loads of beer in our store alone. That doesn't count the hard liquor.

Sgt. Smitty
    Guest Free Member
    That still don't make it right tho, i was guilty of buying beer for my crew in Yuma, a couple that were only 20, but that still didn't make it right either. The Marines in Japan have other rules and regs. that they have to go by, especially with all the terrorist activity goin on around the world. Those rules were in affect when i was in Iwakuni in 72-73 and didn't hurt our moral any.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I know there's a bar in town here that the proprietor runs a little "differently." Apparently a military ID is all they ask for there... his exact words I believe were "if you're old enough to serve, you're old enough to get served."

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think that many of us NCO's and Staff NCO's have been guilty of providing beer for our underage Marines at one time or another. I agree that if you are old enough to serve your old enough to drink. Hell when I went to the Nam I wasent old enough to drink or vote but my NCO's always took care of me and I guess I just carried on the tradition. Although I agree that does not make it right I was always prepaired to accept the consequences.

Smile

How many of you ever been to Camp Wilson at 29 palms california for a CAX? If you have, then you know that at night it gets very cold.
    The companys I was attached to would have partys before going back to camp pendelton ca. Their were times that a 1st LT. or a 1stsgt. would tell me, not ask to do a beer run down the hill to mainside. And dont get caught. Thats because we did it at night.
    All players and connections were in place if you know what I mean. Everyone had a great time and know one got out of hand.
    To drink with your CO, 1stLT. Top, gunney, sgt. cpls, l/cpls, pfc, and pvts. is called brotherhood. Everyone taking care of eachother. I missed them days!!!!!! 81'/85'

Thread Information