Marine Corps Birthday 2004 - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Born and raised in Long Branch,N.J.,moved to Danville,Vermont in 1988
    Credits
    Savings
    It has been many years ago that I served in the Marine Corps,1959 to 1963,but it seems like yesterday.I will never forget the Marines that were my friends,and some still are to this day.I really wish that I could do it all again.Happy Birthday brothers,and Semper Fi.

Credits
    Savings
    Happy Birthday to all MARINES past and present. May God help our MARINES in Fallujah. (and also non-MARINE troops).
    SEMPER FI!!!
    vfm

Marines cut cake on big day
    November 10, 2004
    ERIC STEINKOPFF
    DAILY NEWS STAFF

The numbers spoke volumes Tuesday at Camp Lejeune, where more than 200 Marines, sailors and spectators braved the crisp air at Liversedge Field to mark the 229th birthday of the Marine Corps.

The crowd is usually in the thousands. But the spectators, and the smaller number of those involved in the ceremony marking the birthday, which is officially today, are a sign of where the Marine Corps is today, said Maj. Gen. Robert C. Dickerson, commanding general of Camp Lejeune.

"A lot of people are training and deployed," Dickerson said. "(It's OK) as long as Marines are trained and ready to go forth and do great things."

As Dickerson spoke, Marines in Iraq - most from West Coast bases but some with Lejeune ties - were pounding Iraqi insurgents in Fallujah. Meanwhile, thousands of Lejeune-based troops are preparing to go to Iraq in early 2005.

Col. Donald J. Anderson, 55, the oldest Marine present, understood. Anderson, director of Installation, Safety and Security, said he has missed two birthday celebrations in his 36 years, 5 months in the Marine Corps.

"For one, I was in Vietnam, and the other, I was on the way to Mogadishu (Somalia)," said Anderson, of McKinney, Texas.

Those in Iraq or headed there were remembered at the event.

A pair of CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters shuttled back and forth overhead, illustrating how many units are already deployed and how many are busy in a pre-deployment training cycle to go to Iraq early next year.

Camp Lejeune units deployed to Iraq include 1st Battalion, 2nd Marine Regiment with the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit; 1st Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment; 2nd Battalion, 10th Marine Regiment and 2nd Reconnaissance Battalion, elements of 2nd Tank Battalion, 2nd Radio Battalion and 2nd Force Reconnaissance Company.

The 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment is currently operating in Afghanistan.

The celebration included the usual pageantry - 17 men and women dressed in uniforms of different time periods from the Continental Marines of 1775 to Operation Iraqi Freedom in 2003.

A line of seven rifle bearers each fired three times in a 21-gun salute, followed by a solemn rendition of "Taps."

Eighteen Marines formed a two-line cordon representing every enlisted rank.

Seven Marines carried a huge four-tier cake through the cordon.

Anderson, as the oldest Marine, ate the first piece of cake. The second went to the youngest Marine, 18-year-old Lance Cpl. Leon R. Archibald of Lynn, Mass., the clerk of court for the Piedmont Judicial Circuit.

Archibald has been in the Marine Corps 11 months and 22 days, and this is his first Marine Corps birthday celebration.

"I knew that I wanted to join the military and wanted a challenge," Archibald said. "I wanted to be the best - I wanted to be a Marine."

Archibald said the carefully crafted history lesson associated with the birthday ceremony was interesting and shows him the camaraderie the Corps is all about.

"I'm relieved (at completing boot camp) and honored to be a Marine," Archibald said.

For Anderson the most important thing is to prepare junior troops like Archibald to be future leaders.

"To me, paying tribute to the ones gone before us (is important)," Anderson said. "(But) today we honor the leaders and legends of tomorrow who will be remembered in the same breath as (fifth commandant Col.) Archibald Henderson, (and two-time Medal of Honor recipients Sgt Maj.) Dan Daly and (Maj. Gen.) Smedley Butler."

Ellie

Happy 229th Birthday, Marines!

One year older and still going strong!

ORRAH!!!

To each of you;

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MARINE!

Happy Birthday Marines

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Happy Birthday all you Devil Dogs,

and of course you 'Doggetts' (lol)

I say a prayer;

May Gods peace reign supreme,
    but until then
    I thank the Lord
    I'm a U.S. MARINE

Lead, guide, and protect our brothers in harms way. Comfort their families with the peace and knowledge that their cause is right and just. Hold our fallen brothers to your bosom until there is no more need for their kind, and they shall set at the table you have prepared for us all.

Amen

I raise a glass to;

FALLEN BROTHERS

Semper Fidelis

Terry Alan Bowersox Sr.
    U.S.M.C.

Thread Information