'Fahrenheit' Marine in hot water?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool 'Fahrenheit' Marine in hot water?

'Fahrenheit' soldier in hot water?

By Gary Strauss, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — Fahrenheit 9/11 transformed Marine Lance Cpl. Abdul Henderson into an internationally known war protester. Now it could get him in legal trouble.

The Marine Corps is investigating Lance Cpl. Abdul Henderson's appearance in Michael Moore's film Fahrenheit 9/11.
    Dog Eat Dog Films

When asked on screen by director Michael Moore whether he planned to return to fight in Iraq, Henderson said no.

"The question kind of surprised me, because I wasn't expecting it," says Henderson, a reservist who saw combat for about two months after the Iraq war began. "But my answer came from the heart."

The scene, along with others in which Henderson accompanies Moore to Capitol Hill as Moore tries to enlist members of Congress to send their kids off to fight, was filmed last March.

With his unit facing a possible autumn return to Iraq, Henderson says he isn't changing his mind. "I'm conflicted because as a soldier, you're compelled to the call of duty — that's what I signed up for," Henderson says. "But I'm standing up for what I believe in."

The Marine Corps is conducting a preliminary inquiry into Henderson's appearance in Fahrenheit 9/11. Marine spokesman Capt. Patrick Kerr says authorities need to decide whether any action is warranted. "He made it very clear that he would not follow orders," Kerr says. "We're trying to determine what, if anything, he said or did was wrong" and what the punishment might be.

Henderson faces harsher penalties if he fails to report for a second Iraq tour. "Technically, he'd be a deserter," Kerr says. Punishment could range from an administrative discharge to a court-martial, which could land Henderson in a military prison for up to a year, Kerr says.

During early stages of the war, Henderson's unit, an ANGLCO (Air Naval Gunfire Liaison company), radioed air and artillery support for British coalition forces. He saw combat and won the Marine Corps Achievement Medal after trying to rescue British soldiers who were trapped in an overturned vehicle.

Armed with documents citing outstanding performance during five years as a reservist, the bespectacled, soft-spoken Henderson describes himself as a patriot.

"When this country goes to war, everyone should pitch in," says Henderson, a business major at California State University-Los Angeles. "As a soldier, that's what I signed up for."

Still, invading Iraq made no sense to Henderson, 29. Neither, he says, does returning. "I'd go to Afghanistan" because it's harboring terrorists, he says. "But Iraq? Where's the imminent threat?"

Henderson joined the Marine reserves in 1999. Before Iraq, he planned to become an officer and helicopter pilot. Now, he hopes to complete his six-year obligation and earn an MBA.

Henderson says a Moore staffer contacted him after he showed up at congressional hearings last fall with military families who were against the war. His appearance in the movie has drawn fire from conservatives. But Henderson has heard nothing from superiors since Fahrenheit 9/11's launch June 23.

"I expect trouble, but who knows?" Henderson says. "They never told us not to give our opinions of how we felt. It probably helps that I'm a reservist and not a full-time Marine."

Henderson, who describes himself as a spiritual Christian, says he prefers to remain out of the limelight. He's spending the summer in Washington, D.C., where he is helping his wife, a doctoral student at Howard University, tend to their newborn son. Citing a need for privacy, Henderson declined to reveal their names.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...t-marine_x.htm

Ellie

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Either this guy doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground or the reporter is misquoting him.

HE keeps referring to himself as a soldier. No self-respecting Marine I know would ever do that.

Let him stay home

there is no room in combat for the weak hearted who have second thoughts about returning fire.

What kind of a Marine has a choice , oh, I'll go to Afganistan but not Iraq.

Boot him out of the Corps.. let him join the Moore Corps.

Cook

Ok, this is not intended to offend anyone. However, there is a tendancy among many (not all) Reservists to be more civilian, than Marine. That may be why he's confused.

IMHO, any Marine, in any capacity (Active Duty, Reserves, Retired, Honorably Discharged, etc), who even gives Michael Moore, the time of day is a scumbag traitor!!!

If I ever meet Mr. Piggy in person, I will absolutlely, without a doubt, unload on the lard assed, worthless, unshaven, waste of skin!!! It would get real ugly, real quick!

It makes me gag to even see his picture anywhere!

Hmmmm. Well, sure seems pretty clear to me. (not) I do not care for this Marines comments at all, but here's the thing.

I can't even BEGIN to count the times I said, " no way am I gonna do THAT!" as a Marine, but then, when the time came, I did it anyway. it was just a way for me to left off some steam, really. Maybe this guy just realy wanted to be in a movie of some kind. who knows? so lets wait and see if he DOES indeed go back to his unit, as he should. if he does, no har, no foul. If he DOESN'T go back, then he is a deserter and should be tried as such.

As mad as I am that he's wearing the Marine uniform and allowing himself to be part of this little game that Moore plays-- I have to somewhat side with Jedi. Let's see what he does. He'll always live with the shame of this "Crockumentery". One day he'll realize how much of a fool he was made out to be.

Either way I have lost respect for him. I feel sorry for the guys in his unit that will have to rely on him. Can't trust him anymore.

well first of all gentleman i have not had the pleasure of meeting or even listen to this Moore guy everyone keeps talking about. BUT let me say this you all know that our government has lied to veterans in the past (AGENT ORANGE) and many other things to the people of the USA . It took the government many many years to finally own up to the sprayings that they knew damn well they did but lied to all of us. I say this what are you all going to do if in fact this Moore guy has in fact proven something and it comes out in the very near future that he in fact was telling the truth? Bottem line is research and keep researching everything you hear or see.

Good point hrscowboy. I myself do research things I hear. I look for several sources and even though I have not seen the fill (won't pay to make him more money) I have read, seen, heard from actual viewer.. enought to knowthat he is stretching the truth for his gain and the defamation of our country. Not cool, not patriotic and not honest. Honest disent is respected, dishonesty however is not. This film is directed at the non-thinkers, it maskes up their mind for them. No thanks. Moore won't even defend his own movie as truth only as a "documentary".

sorry for the typos-- was in a rush

Well the 9/11 commission has ended and 98.9% of Moores Mockumentary had been shot down in flames.

Moore still won't even admit it himself,when interviewed by O'Riley at the DNC he side stepped every fact from the commission with another question not even owning up to his facts being wrong.

Someone should put together a blow by blow Documentary taking aprat Moores F 9/11

Credits
    Savings
    After many days & hours of research, I find that Michael Moore is a loud mouth bastard who would have never targeted Al Gore if he had done the same exact things that Bush did.

Plain and simple - Michael Moore cares about the veterans about as much as Jesse Jackson cares about white people. He'll use them for his benefit only.

What bothers me most was his wearing the uniform. To me the implication was that he was speaking for the Marines and that it wasn't just a personal opinion. You want to state an opinion, leave the uniform out of it. Of course, if he wasn't wearing the uniform, he wouldn't have been nearly as valuable to Moore for the movie.

I amazes me how many ignorant people blindly believe this crap. I know the media is looking for the soundbite of someone coming out of the movie to say "wow it was so eye opening". And they get it. Sadly people I work around tend to believe it too. You have got to be kidding. During the DNC convention I heard the questions asked to several DNC members. Not one spoke openly about the movie..... all of them said something to the fact of: "Well there are a lot of facts that really need to be looked at, but I liked the film, it gave a good view point." Are they serious. For gods sake the Black Congresional caucass (sp?) gave this knucklehead Moore an award for his "true Journalism" Talk about jumping on the wrong wagon.
    When the Libs follow crap like this blindly and so dishonestly, It's no wonder noone with a level head takes them serious.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    "When the Libs follow crap like this blindly and so dishonestly, It's no wonder noone with a level head takes them serious." - I wouldn't go that far. Most indicators show a dead heat between the candidates, with only 5 or so out of 100 undecided.

Do you really believe Drudge, Coulter, Limbaugh, the all talking heads at Fox News, that the 48% in favor of Kerry are unpatriotic, America Bashing, Al Qaeda loving people that would free Saddam and put him back power?

As far as this young LCpl, he was in DC on legitmate personal business. I do think it is unfortunate that Moore 'ambushed' him into an interview. The last paragraph of the story shows that this Marine was not intentionally showboating.

All I can say is that he better return to duty if so ordered.

Credits
    Savings
    I believe that the so-called Kerry supporters fall into one of the following categories.

60% Hate Bush
    10% Are staunch democrats
    10% Are profiteering or riding the anti-Bush band wagon
    10% Are anti-war nuts or isolationists
    9.9% Are just plain stupid
    0.1% Have given him a Blow Job and feel obligated to support him.

It may be a dead heat - but let's see who actually gets out and votes.

Thread Information