3rd Marine Division changes command
Submitted by: MCB Camp Butler
Story Identification #: 2004714234729
Story by Lance Cpl. Joel Abshier

CAMP COURTNEY, OKINAWA, Japan — (July 7, 2004) -- Brigadier Gen. Christian B. Cowdrey assumed command of the 3rd Marine Division from Col. George M. Dallas here July 7.

Dallas, a Marple, Pa. native, took over the division Feb. 27, 2004 when its former commanding general, Maj. Gen. Joseph F. Weber, was called to serve as the Chief of Staff for Coalition Joint Task Force-7, which is one of the leading elements in U.S. Military operations in Iraq.
Dallas will move on to serve as the Assistant Chief of Staff, U.S. European Command in Stuttgart, Germany, which maintains ready forces to conduct military operations in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

The ceremony began at 5 p.m. with a formation representing several units from the division, to include: 3rd, 4th and 12th Marine Regiments, Combat Assault Battalion, 3rd Reconnaissance Battalion and Headquarters Battalion.

After remarks from the narrator, Lt. Col. Steven L. Buckley, regional plans officer, III Marine Expeditionary Force, the Division color was passed down from Dallas to Cowdrey as the orders were announced directing Dallas to relinquish command of the Division and for Cowdrey to assume the duties as the new commanding general.

“Today is not about myself or Brig. Gen. Cowdrey. Today is about the Marines and sailors that stand in front of you,” Dallas said. “Because of the Marines’ tremendous support, guidance and friendship, the MEF is a solid command.

Dallas said he could not be more proud to turn the color of this division over to a Marine and his family that he has known and respected for many years.

“The division is in great hands with Cowdrey at the helm,” said Dallas. “I am equally confident that the division will carry Cowdrey forward as he marches in the ranks of the ‘fighting 3rd.’”

Dallas and Cowdrey have crossed paths many times and have maintained a close friendship with each other since 1989.

Cowdrey, a 1973 graduate of the University of Maryland, has been serving as the Commanding General of the Marine Air Ground Task Force Training Command, Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center at 29 Palms, Calif.

“Colonel Dallas has done a superb job by stepping in with the division,” said Cowdrey. “The division appreciates everything Col. Dallas has accomplished through his leadership and dedication to the Corps.”

If servicemembers on Okinawa have to be deployed to a combat zone, the Marines and sailors of 3rd Marine Division will be prepared for battle, said Cowdrey.

“I expect servicemembers, not only from 3rd Marine Division, but all Marines and sailors, to hold true to their faithfulness to the American flag,” said Cowdrey. “I charge, demand and expect that from servicemembers in their professional and personal lives.”

Cowdrey concluded his speech by sharing his views with Okinawans who attended the ceremony.

“It is my goal to continue the outstanding relationship with the surrounding community,” said Cowdrey. “I view the gates to our base not as gates, but as bridges between two communities.”

After the final remarks from Cowdrey, the ceremony concluded with the pass-in-review giving Dallas one final opportunity to observe the division before taking his post in Germany.

CAMP COURTNEY, OKINAWA, Japan -- Col. George M. Dallas (center) receives the division color from Sgt. Maj. Lawrence E. Thompson (left) during a change of command ceremony here July 7. Dallas relinquished his responsibility as the commanding officer of 3rd Marine Division to Brig. Gen. Christian B. Cowdrey (right).

Photo by: Lance Cpl. Joel Abshier

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/mcn20...1?opendocument

Ellie