Missing out on some changes
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings

Missing out on some changes

I 've been watching some of the Flicks of Marine recruits graduating at MCRDSD and all of them are wearing blues. I'm still shocked! When I graduated at SD we did the marches and formations on the grinderin our greens and then we went back to our quanset huts, put the greens in our seabage , put on utilities and got on a bus for Pendelton for ITR What happened???

Similar Threads:

Tony, the Corps now, is not even close to what we served in. I never had any Blues.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Tony,

The Corps has been issuing Blues to recruits for some years now. At least 20 years, I'd guess.

Most recruits go home for ten-days leave after boot camp and come back for School of Infantry (the "new" but old name for ITR, since the late 1980s) One of Al Gray's changes). Some recruits waive going on leave and they are bussed to SOI and get assigned to working parties until they class-up.

When I graduated boot camp in 1971, I went home on leave, and came back for ITR. Vietnam was basically over for the Corps, however, the NVA held an Easter Offensive in 1972 and some Marines went back (yours truly being one of them). Mostly aviation squadrons.

Credits
    Savings
    Me neither . I had winter greens, summer ka
    ckies (sp which I never wore and utlities that I wore when I was somewhere other than Nam. The times have certainly changed. When I got back I was with 2/27 FAC Team and all we wore was utilites ...no starch . when they sent them back for the 68 tet they offered the Fac team E-5 for shipping over I passed and held out for E-6 The same deal they offered some of us in Nam ...No deal we were sent to 2/28 at Margrieta 10 minutes from San Clentima and the beautiful beaches We had good experienced Marines on those teams and the lifers ****ed it up because they were just plain *******s . one com chief Gunny tried to give me that pride **** I told him We could sign and go back to Nam together..last Iever heard from him

Chris, we went straight to ITR from boot-camp and then to Bits before our 10 day leave. After our leave we went straight to Staging Battalion at Wes Pac.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Billy,

Yeah they changed up some things around 1970 or so. From a managerial perspective, I think going straight to ITR/SOI is a good idea with leave afterward.

After ITR, I went to truck driver's school, but had to go on mess duty waiting to class up. I was about 12-days into mess duty when my dad died and I went home on emergency leave. Got back literally the day before I had to class up. After school, I went to Staging Battalion, but by that time it was more of a Casual Company. Hated the place. Went to Japan, then TAD to Oki, then to Vietnam for the rest of my WestPac tour. Ah, the joys of being a boot Marine

We weren't issued blues (1984), and I never bought them.

Thread Information